Author Topic: Siba ignition mystery  (Read 30010 times)

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
Re: Siba ignition mystery
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2014, 07:35:17 PM »
Does it have a condenser  ;D
3 thick wire dynastart is one direction, 5 wire is both.  Also two points wires required for uni directional.  Looking at the picture I would say that's it one direction as its looks to have come from a scooter.  No black box,  so no reversing solenoid, so forward running only.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2014, 08:00:41 PM »
thanks it's what we thought then - i have a spare uni directional to go on it - and  yes a condenser
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:24:16 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2014, 01:55:48 PM »
Bump , Bump ,

I have been advised in red letters to start a new thread - but it would take to long for me to explain things , so here goes' ....

after reading this through from the beginning I'm surprised that its only the condenser that has failed , and no mention has been made towards the HT coil .
Engines fitted with Siba Dynastarters must use the Siba coil not a conventional car type , failing to do so could burn out the stator or control box , even known the coil to spilt apart ,  in this case lucky it was only the ignition condenser .
The reason is to hi-tec for the layman . but to put it simple Siba coils are reverse inside out wired .

Alan

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »
You have me worried now Alan. I have recently fitted a 12v motorcycle coil on my latest car project with a siba dynastart. Is it going to fail; I wonder.
Then I got to thinking, my Isetta has a car coil fitted and is still fine after 20 years and I'm pretty sure my Schmitt had a new classic bike coil fitted some 14 years ago. None have suffered any damage to coil or condenser.
Its an interesting comment and I'm not doubting your claim but I want to know more. What about Bosch coils? Has anyone else had a problem using a standard coil?  Maybe I have just been fortunate??
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 03:58:15 PM by Bob Purton »

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2014, 03:46:50 PM »
I've the Villiers/Siba service sheet , some were amongst the usual papers - I'll dg it out .
our Zetta wouldn't run with a car coil , replaced with a Siba and it now runs . (horrible things to say its BMW)  It must have been one of  the last re-built engine to come out of Grandfield Lawrence ! .

Alan

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2014, 04:55:58 PM »
that would be -
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2014, 10:08:40 AM »
Good to see some activity on this topic after so long a hiatus.
My Heinkel Trojan's coil has been so productively spewing its tarry guts in the last 6months of non use, that upon first examination I feared that a family of possums had moved into the garage and started to use it as their lavatory.
I could use a few good compatible coils for Frisky, Trojan and other micros, so am anxiously awaiting the verdict, as well as a suggestion of a good source for same.

I fear that I may be loosing the thread here though with the mention of a Zetta.
I have a Zeta Sport, and know of the Tritech Zettas.  But the former are quite rare, especially of shore from Australia, and the latter usually come with a modern power plant, as they are replicas, and presumably would not be fitted with Siba parts.
I also see no mention of a Zetta in Richard's interesting period Bond poster.
What am I missing here?

Richard, I hope you haven't missed your horribly flattened and taped high tension lead to the sparking plug on your single direction rotating Villiers engine.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2014, 12:34:13 PM »
Steven that Villiers engine long since gone and how could anyone miss that HT lead . I am sure that engine was in the same condition as when it was last used but it's high on a new owners priority list.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:47:30 PM by richard »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2014, 02:19:36 PM »
I'm not an auto electrician and may be totally wrong but I fail to see what difference it makes what coil you use other than ballast resister/non ballast resister type so long as its a canister type coil..
Isnt it just a matter of power feed to one terminal and the points interrupter to the other. How does this simple circuitry have any effect on a stator, regulator or condenser?  I just don't see it.
MY Isetta has run for donkeys years with a lucas coil and my ex schmitt with a motorcycle coil mounted in the black box where the bosch or siba original once was. My Bobette is fitted with Villiers 9e and siba box also runs perfectly with a new wassel coil. Cant see the problem or am I missing something here?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2014, 05:49:40 PM »
Ditto.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs