Author Topic: Another good reason to be a Club member  (Read 16615 times)

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
Another good reason to be a Club member
« on: May 18, 2014, 11:26:37 AM »
A brilliant feature in today's Mail on Sunday highlighting the benefits of Microcar ownership and belonging to a Club.  Andy Carter and some of his collection are featured in the Finance section as a case study into insurance savings.  Titled 'I get BIG savings on my tiny cars - so join the club' the article highlights the insurance benefits of classic cars and discounts available if you belong to a club.
Lets hope all those who are currently running down our Microcar clubs don't have these types of policy as its a necessity to be a current paid up member or your policy is invalid  ;)

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:05:04 PM by scootacar »

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Another good reason to be a Club member
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 12:15:12 PM »

or your policy is invalid  ;)

My policy always has been Invalid.

Excuse me Gentlemen, my Carriage awaits.....   

;)

Mark Green

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 12:38:12 PM »
Good one Stuart !!!
1958 FriskySport

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 01:03:28 PM »
Which club does Andy use to get cheap insurance? Perhaps he is like me and uses a membership of another sort of car club, local to himself, to gain insurance benefits. A far more effective method as the area we drive in and store our cars tends to be the same risk. We have a good negotiating position. None the less worth a look at the Mail though. Plus added cars. As indeed a club with a good policy agreement is worth having and savings might cover the cost of membership, as can any other discounts agreed by the Club in question. CCC and BX Club offer 10% of spare parts prices at several outlets country wide, for instance. These local savings are not greatly helpful to members abroad though, which was the thrust of the topic moved to here. The tangent move to deflect the argument coming in there, as predicted via PMs.

I tried putting together a discounted 2 stroke deal some years back, but the support from the Club was absent. That one of the officials sold oils privately might have something to do with it. Another initiative had spares offered at 10% off to members, full price to all but associate members but the Club in question decided, after initially agreeing, to handgrenade the project by withholding funds, wasting my and another's time and effort by none democratic means. This initiative was in part to answer supplying Americans, and other foreign buyers, by offering an internet membership thus avoiding the expenses of home administration costs they could make no use of. Really what Steven is asking for. These things can be done, and easily these days, if the will is there. Yep, been there and done that. You can see why I am moving on.

Am I running down the Microcar Clubs or pointing at elephants in the room? We will find out if the elephants panic, as it will not be me run down in the rush. Nor will I be doing the mucking out while they stand mute so everyone can pretend they are not there. You've got to laugh! ;D
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 11:11:58 AM »
With our help, the elephants may exit the clubrooms just a little more quickly. ;D

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 05:09:54 PM »
When all the elephants are gone you'll be left with the DODO's some people want it all and pay nothing for it!
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 05:49:25 PM »
wasting our time here Steven just can't or won't see it  ::) i am a club man through and through . Courtesy of this site may i wish all committee members , and or officers , of all clubs a heartfelt thanks , they try their best and are in the main under appreciated for all their efforts . THREE CHEERS FOR THEM I SAY !!
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 07:44:48 PM »
When all the elephants are gone you'll be left with the DODO's some people want it all and pay nothing for it!

That would be the senior members that feel entitled to free subscriptions.
I am a reasonable man that would appreciate the opportunity of simply paying a fair price for a part I need from a club that I would be getting no other benefit from.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 08:04:16 PM »
i wouldn't know . i have never knowingly been part of a club where anyone had free subs - but i have nothing in principle against it actually . you obviously don't get the club thing at all . the benefit you get is being the club itself - you are the club
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 08:54:27 PM »
I am a reasonable man that would appreciate the opportunity of simply paying a fair price for a part I need from a club that I would be getting no other benefit from.

And ... er ... why would does that make you " a reasonable man"? 

You want something from a club, that you're not prepared to support.  None too reasonable, it seems to me.

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 09:02:49 PM »
I'm with Richard long may we have club's that try to help CLUB MEMBERS not the freeloaders who want the goods on the backs of those that pay

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 11:11:35 PM »
A "reasonable man" is both self defining, and an appropriate legal term.
Evidently I've stepped into a room full of elephants and they've started to stampede!

FYI I have nothing against a fairly run club.  Indeed I am not only a member of some, but the president of one of them.
It appears that our (US) version of a free market, is somewhat different than yours.
Remember that old "taxation without representation " complaint ?
Perhaps less has changed in the last couple of centuries than I thought.

Besides your trying to muddle it all up as if I am anti club is a pitifully orchestrated and undeserved attack. :-\
What next- I see torches outside my castle?

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 11:27:24 PM »
Steven you appear to be the biggest elephant of all as you are now changing your tune which club do you think is not fairly run just the ones that will not let you have something for nothing 

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 11:56:30 PM »
I think your medication has worn off. ???

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 12:36:12 AM »
MOC's own website states that the publication and mailing fees of their newsletter is funded by membership fees.
It also states that Parts smart profits (yes they use the word " profits") are used to fund everything else.
So what reasonable justification do they have for requiring that you pay membership fees if you are not a Messershmitt owner, and not desirous of a subscription to their newsletter to accompany your parts order?

Seems like protectionist bullying to me, and will likely cause smart shoppers to take their business elsewhere.
So this policy will likely be eventually self extinguishing as Parts smart looses market share.
Wouldn't it be better even for themselves if they played it fair? ;)