Author Topic: Another good reason to be a Club member  (Read 16614 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Another good reason to be a Club member
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 08:08:36 AM »
Steady chaps.

Generalizing about small clubs is a bit dangerous, as some come from the very well founded mutual support into club status, which I would support without being a member, to ones that have evolved into entities which hardly can be described as clubs at all, and all things in between.

Get to specifics and the critic takes on a more serious roll. Two things apply to clubs though. You can only change thing directly by being a member with a vote. Clubs that become too unbalanced loose active support, their chief chance to regain balance is to look at what is said about them, constructively, by potential members who do not join. It is not constructive if a majority of potential members not joining is greater than those joined. Restricting spares availability might be a good policy for the club finances since it boosts membership to those looking for an easy life. Its always easier to ignore unpleasant facts and situations.

Reality is the more parts made in an order, generally the cheaper they are. I am not convinced by the protectionist argument. Even if it was so then a simple solution is investors, individual or collectively, in a new part under construction obtain it at market rate and the subsequent price to anyone else is 10% higher. Protection achieved, membership happy and sales high. However I know that a lot of these club stalwarts would never put their money where their mouth is and are happy for the club funds to foot the risk rather than themselves. Would our altruistic club think thus, no each would shoulder his share of the burden to the betterment of all, like investing in helping Bond spares when not even a Bond enthusiast....Yeah, that worked out well. Who did get the benefit of that cash injection? Much like a pure free market, its a very honest system and it is rather difficult to hide in a pure club or a free market. Your either in pulling or your out. Seniority and such counts for very little, the respect comes from the knowledge and experience being given to the group. Admittedly that should be in return for the active participation of younger more energized newer members. That is one area there is a serious issue though. Not enough active skilled new members. Its in imperfect world.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 08:10:15 AM »
So what reasonable justification do they have for requiring that you pay membership fees if you are not a Messershmitt owner
Your still not getting it Steven.  The clue is in the name..... Messerschmitt Owners' Club, a club for owners of Messerschmitts.  The primary aim of Partsmart is to supply parts to club members. 

Thankfully the 150 plus MOC members in the American and Canadian region understand what it's all about and are grateful for membership and parts supply.  Speak to the region rep, Ralph Hough if you want more details.

Perhaps it's just my British, soon to recognise as Scottish  ;D, attitude to fair play........

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 08:33:33 AM »
If Scotland leaves us they will take the S and H with them, leaving us as Briti south of the boarder. Need a new name. England sounds pretty good......
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 09:14:28 AM »
If Scotland leaves us they will take the S and H with them

Eh?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 09:18:53 AM »
Eh 2 and anyway al's forgotten the Welsh and the Cornish
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:18:03 AM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 12:18:48 PM »
So what reasonable justification do they have for requiring that you pay membership fees if you are not a Messershmitt owner
Your still not getting it Steven.  The clue is in the name..... Messerschmitt Owners' Club, a club for owners of Messerschmitts.
OK, as I am sick of arguing about this topic by now.
But for the record in my book, they are:
 PREJUDICIAL against non owners by requiring subscription fees to an unrequested periodical.
HYPOCRITICAL / guilty of comingling funds considering their own statement that Partsmart enterprises are fully and already profitably funded by its own sales, whilst never the less requiring concommitant payment of dues that serve as the sole source of funding for the publication and postage of their periodical.
PROTECTIONIST by not serving a free market.
NONCOMPETITIVE by overcharging for parts that are available for less elsewhere.
PROFIT MOTIVATED, as opposed to dedicated to getting as many Messers on the road as possible.   Nothing inimically wrong about this, just not up to the unimpeachable standard of a John Meadows or Stephen Boyd type dedication.

Not a particularly inviting proposition.   So in the future, I will continue to let my pocketbook respond to the non invite, and for their own sake, as well as the sake of other would be buyers or club members, hope that they are paying attention and care enough evolve into a more user friendly organization.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 12:32:49 PM by steven mandell »

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 12:40:12 PM »
And, for the record:

Prejudicial - certainly.  In the same way that golf clubs, who don't allow others in to use the course, pool, etc. are prejudicial.

Hypocritical - not really.  They said you can't have parts unless you're a member, and now, guess what, as a non-member you can't have parts.  (If they DID sell you parts, now that would be hypocritical.)

Protectionist - certainly.  See "golf club" above.

Non-competitive - certainly.  But who said they were?

Profit motivated - not really.  If they were, they'd put the prices up and sell to anyone.  But then your argument so far has been to complain that they're NOT profit-motivated ...

For fun, I'll ask my question again (since you didn't answer it last time): why would that make you " a reasonable man"?

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 12:51:18 PM »
Steven you would moan if they sold you the parts at a slightly higher price as a non member seems to me you want your penny and the bun!
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 12:59:59 PM »
Wouldn't moan for paying a nondiscounted price whilst club members got a reasonable discount, like Al suggested several posts ago.  Or call it a premium price to non members.  Its the same thing really and if not overdone, nothing to complain about.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 01:04:48 PM »
I think this topic has gone as far as I would like it to go now and further bickering [I'm guilty too] is going to serve no purpose. Lets leave it now please and move on.

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 01:20:02 PM »
Please Mr Moderator can I post a link which takes the thread back to where I started it ?
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/money/cars/article-2631252/Comparison-websites-help-cheaper-car-cover-more.html

A good selection of interesting microcars.  Not sure about the figures stated though, thought Andy was much younger.............

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 01:22:05 PM »
Ok but lets make it the last.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 02:06:41 PM »
I want to be the last  ;D
£60,000 for my old P50 plus the dosh from all the copies.
Why didn't I think of that in 1976 when I sold it for £40.  :'(  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »
I think this topic has gone as far as I would like it to go now and further bickering [I'm guilty too] is going to serve no purpose. Lets leave it now please and move on.

They weren't bickering, they were talking about buns. My favorites are Lincoln biscuits and Chelsea buns.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 02:11:09 PM »
 And whilst we've been distracted, I bet they've sneeked in and sunk all our battleships.

(Copyright N. Clegg 1987)    ;D