Author Topic: The Bromley Pageant of motoring. June 8th 2014  (Read 9850 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
The Bromley Pageant of motoring. June 8th 2014
« on: June 05, 2014, 08:56:21 AM »
Its the Bromley Pageant again this Sunday. The weather forecast is excellent for a change!
As usual Mike Shepherd has the stand and we plan to have a small display of classic bubble cars. Why not come and see us?
At least I plan to be there, I had an accident in the workshop yesterday and have cracked a rib. Quite painful!
Anyone got a fast cure?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 09:00:39 AM by Bob Purton »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: The Bromley Pageant of motoring. June 8th 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 11:28:57 AM »
We'll I believe our creator used one to make woman so be careful what you do with any broken bits look after yourself a new phone and punctuation not found yet
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:43:24 AM »
See you there!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »
Ok Marcus but promise to not make me laugh, cough or sneeze!

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 02:02:32 PM »
Anyone got a fast cure?

Unfortunately it's called rest!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 03:53:13 PM »
Cracked ribs are extremely painful for the bones small size. I have never bust one but I have bruised them playing rugger and falling over things carrying heavy car bits. That hurts to. But better that, letting go of the heavy thing and bouncing over and not busting finger/wrist/arm. Best thing is arnica and knit-bone and do not overdo it to start with. The pain can make you feel physically sick, not recommended exercise for a damaged ribcage.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 05:16:31 PM »
Anyone got a fast cure?

Unfortunately it's called rest!

I think you are right Mike but I'm not very good at that!

Never heard of knitbone, will have a look in Boots.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 11:57:58 PM »
The plant Comfrey is knit-bone. The easy to use option is Comfrey oil. Do Boots sell it? I do not know. Its an old remedy.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 09:51:07 AM »
Ah, ancient remedies of the Cumbrian hill folk! No, I don't suppose Boots will sell that. Still, the pain hasn't been too bad, I even did some work yesterday on Bobette though paid for it afterwards! unfortunately the Heinkel silent block bushes didn't work, not through any fault of them themselves but the fault of the cheap Chinese quad coil overs I was fitting them to.  The first bush was a tight press fit on shock number one., the second dropped straight through the eye! So much for Chinese precision engineering!  I am reverting to using rubber motorcycle style bushes, that way the eye ID differences are insignificant.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »
Hmm! Quality items there then. Still the Trienkel bushes are handy to have, where ever they end up. So are you using the cone type rubber inserts driven in from each side? Like a Mini engine stabilizer bush. Might need to watch the units if they are not quality but it will serve to set things up and test the set up if they do fade. A more accurate and better replacement can be specified and found, if needs be.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 12:49:04 PM »
Finding suspension units for this car has been a nightmare! The original Nobel ones are just too long and leave a huge gap between the top of the wheel and the wheel arch of the special body fitted. I needed something just 10" centre to centre with a spring rating unknown. I had to experiment with a few. I tried a coil over of that length from a dirt bike , the type with a single shock wedged well back towards the pivot point. That one proved to be so stiff that it didn't move at all fitted to the front of the car. A lot of quad coil overs are short which was handy. Ones that use doubles were too week but the ones I'm using are used as mono's on the back of a Kazuma. I took the plunge and bought two. They seem just about right. The ride height is perfect and the springiness is good but may be a tad too soft. Anyway, its a starting point as you say. Once I have something that works I can ask Hagons to make a good pair using these as a reference.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 02:58:52 PM »
I've got a couple of random springs off a quad if you want to try them , there no use to me

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 03:52:31 PM »
A kind offer Steve. To be anywhere strong enough for what I need they would have to have been used as a monoshock on the rear of a bigger than 50cc quad. Also need to measure 10" centre to centre long. Do they fit the bill?   

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 05:42:20 PM »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »
Are you comfrey Humphrey?
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face