Author Topic: I was bored so...  (Read 8687 times)

micro marshall

• Quite Chatty
I was bored so...
« on: June 11, 2014, 02:30:54 PM »
I decided while I had some time on my hands I would design a RUMcar news front cover. What do you think? :o ;D ;D

Bobs on it so that should make him happy! ;) :D :D
peel p50   28 chickens  Land Rover series 3   Ginetta G26  Heinkel 175
check out
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWWcFabkWKKjKynSLLeW7qw
for the RUMcars you tube channel

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: I was bored so...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 03:55:19 PM »
Oh yeh! Don't mention the whitewall tyres! ;D
The Berkeley special was also mine once.
Anymore thoughts on a new design for the website?

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 03:58:21 PM »
Dear Jamie

You obviously have too much time on your hands now that you have finished your exams.

A couple of issues that you ,ay ned to think about and incorporate

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 04:34:42 PM »
Sorry about that my computer decided to do its own thing

1   your page layout relies upon the use of edge to edge printing. This means printing on over size paper and trimming down to size. The over size paper and trimming make it more expensive. THis means there has to be a margin on all four sides for our purposes.

2  Jean likes the return address to be on both the front and back covers so the postal people have no excuse for junking the envelope if they can not find the address on the envelope.

3   The use of a small image to illustrate each article is good, but using three images for the main part of the front cover means a lot of extra high resolution photographs. The image on the cover should reflect the content, but should also maintain the image of the whole publication. For example Kit car magazines always like a Cobra image on the front cover as it typifies the wants of the readership, or an Aston Martin DB6 on the front of a classic car magazine for the same reason. The more images on the front cover the more crowded the space becomes, which is not ideal when you want to send out a clear message.

4   The banner name should be on the top right as that is the corner your eye starts to scan the page, and if you file them will be on the free edge. Magazines on a news stand spread them from left to right, so they have their banner on the top left, but as we are not sold on a news stand we do not need to follow that rule.

5   The page layout of the cover is never the same as for the rest of the publication, but should be in the same style and colour scheme, If you take a magazine, any magazine, turn it upside down and then turn over the pages, you should see that the cover is different to denote the start but is similar to the other pages. The reason for tuning it upside down is so you look at the layout and not the words or the images first.

I hope that helps

Chris Thomas

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 06:02:22 PM »
GOOD WORK Jamie.
I particularly like the way that you show the P50 apparently ready to pounce on its intended prey.
I also like the fact that you are not afraid to show the bastard Berkely, and am looking forward to the article on Hienkel engine rebuilding- particularly if it covers the Dynastart, and setting of the camshaft timing.

Chris's expertise in the numerous and detailed considerations in perfecting paper publications is well appreciated.
It is also more appreciated than ever- now that he has educated the rest of us as to just how complex these not obvious factors truly are.

Interesting to note that he is as good with paper and poor with electronic medium, as you are good with electronic medium and, like the rest of us, unaware of the complexities of designing good paper copy.
To wit; Chris, despite his old school expertise , didn't even know how to REMOVE his partial post that preceded his completed masterpiece of enlightenment.  Even I know how to do that.

The obvious solution that is in the best interest of Rumcars as a whole would be for the two of you to collaborate.  Your help in redesigning the website will be most appreciated, as the rest of us old timers (Bob, Chris and myself included), have not a clue as to how this could be done,

You can and should continue to send up your interesting photographic compilations to Chris and the rest of us interested readers on this forum.
It wouldn't surprise me if by so doing you got familiar enough with Chris's professional criticism to rise above us all and eventually be a master of both worlds. ;)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:06:08 PM by steven mandell »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 07:43:33 PM »
well back on my subject steven STILL can't spell HEINKEL  ;) and jamie a British publication should not make reference to " tires " that is an American spelling , we use the word Tyres - unless of course that would be an article on American rubber things  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 07:56:43 PM »
WOT NO ......... GORDON ?

Kilroy ( chad )
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 10:39:10 PM »
The wrong spelling of tyre is one that really bugs me!

Still, Richard, if you are going to pick others up on there spelling mistakes you have to be spot on yourself. I notice you cant spell piston [pistion] in your ebay ad for the Villiers engine!  Hmm, egg on face I think!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Villiers-engine-9e-11e-Scootacar-Bond-Minicar-Vintage-Scooter-Motorcycle-/301209139285?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item462176b855

I dare say you will edit it before others find you out!

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 11:16:16 PM »
Isn't it also slovenly using the spelling WOT instead of what. Teaching really went down hill in the nineteen sixties.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 03:11:48 AM »
well back on my subject steven STILL can't spell HEINKEL  ;) and Jamie a British publication should not make reference to " tires " that is an American spelling , we use the word Tyres - unless of course that would be an article on American rubber things  ;)
Well its good to see that you agree with with the content and commentary of my post.  For if anyone so picky as to make a big deal over someone using a phonetic ( fone et ic) spelling that simply switches the sequence of the vowels around to match the local pronunciation on a word that even the Rumcars spell checker has no other proper suggested spelling for, would certainly have pointed out any gaps in logic or information contained therein.

Jamie likes muscle cars, and stuffing small block V8 engines in bastard Berkelys.
Regardless of the feasibility of doing such,  I therefore I find it fitting that he spell "tires" the right American way, and he does so with my blessing.

P.S. Richard- I beieve that even in England you are supposed to spell "Steven" with a capital S.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:17:24 AM by steven mandell »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 07:11:27 AM »
Apologies for lack of capital S Steven . Most don't bother on modern text and keyboard messaging but on this occasion did in the main . Tires was just an aside. Pistion I hadn't noticed and too late now as it's sold Bob. The spelling of Heinkel is a problem for Steven not me , it is not the first time he has sought advice on the subject. Nowadays we surely always search for any internet content and you just won't ever find it if you spell it incorrectly . Right or wrong ?

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 07:53:41 AM »
Wrong.
The search engine immediately  corrects your spelling, and then shows you the same results.
Try it yourself if you want convincing.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 08:01:41 AM »
I'm a pretty poor speller and what doesn't help is the equipment we use, my pc is switched on to UK English and even when I spell a word correctly the USA written spell checker tries to tell me its wrong and change it to something other than the Queens English. What's the point of offering American English or UK English when according to them its the same?

This link highlights 1,800 variations.
http://www.tysto.com/uk-us-spelling-list.html
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:14:11 AM by Bob Purton »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 08:21:14 AM »
Maybe some search engines will Steven but this forum - surely one of the places one might want to search - does NOT - try it Steven  ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:27:27 AM by richard »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 08:32:08 AM »
Rob surely you are old enough to recognise a bit of Kilroy was here ? From the pre-war period , sometimes known as Chad in the UK . Search Wot no ....