Author Topic: I was bored so...  (Read 8686 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: I was bored so...
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »
well back on my subject
Why?
This is where Jamie's contribution was hijacked off subject. I believe we were having a discussion about how to improve Rumcar News, as well as the website.
Anyone else have something of constructive  relevance to add?
If you want to once again begin your rant about spelling, you should start another post, rather than detract from a topic of greater importance to our organization and its followers.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:39:11 AM by steven mandell »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 08:41:36 AM »
Ooooh  :) by the way you never spell Berkeley correctly - search that !
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 10:43:18 AM »
I think you will struggle to improve Rumcar news!
Just remember it is the easiest thing in the world to criticise. Not that Steven criticises much.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 11:22:21 AM »
I am sorry if I gave the false impression that Rumcar News needed any improvement.
Chris and crew are doing a great job!
I was just trying to encourage Jamie, as he is young, and seems talented and energetic enough to be a valuable player in the future of Rumcars organization.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
Apologies for lack of capital S Steven . Most don't bother on modern text and keyboard messaging but on this occasion did in the main . Tires was just an aside. Pistion I hadn't noticed and too late now as it's sold Bob. The spelling of Heinkel is a problem for Steven not me , it is not the first time he has sought advice on the subject. Nowadays we surely always search for any internet content and you just won't ever find it if you spell it incorrectly . Right or wrong ?

A certain bud of yours searches Ebay for many common misspelling of parts or car marques and has had some rather good buys from folks spelling errors. So someone is doing OK out of it.

If it is Tires then is it Styeven in English? THe Queen's English is meant to be correct, but she is German. Its all very confusing. I know, Pigeon English, Coo eck!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:24:58 PM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 02:44:53 PM »
sssssh al
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 03:41:40 PM »
Dear All

The rant about spelling is a regular theme that sends items off at a tangent, and I understand that for those who are not dyslexic it is a great distraction. But for those that are dyslexic, just writing something without being criticised is refreshing. As we have both camps on the forum I think we need to be tolerant of both, and occasionally we should encourage people to contribute on the subject, rather than send the subject off at a tangent.

Sometimes a rant can also be funny, and the tangent can sometimes lead onto something more interesting, so banning either is not a good thing. I think we just need to remember that what may be funny to us, may not be funny to others who are reading the forum, which is open to the world to read.

Keep encouraging Jamie, keep the humour on the right side of the law, and keep up the community spirit.

Let's get back to the front cover

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 04:04:42 PM »
I thought Jamie's front cover was great and your "constructive" criticism a little harsh Chris.
I don't think the difference between American and English spelling is anything to do with dyslexia. Isnt that more to do with how one see's the letters? As usual I will stand corrected and usually have too! ;D
We should however stop lashing out at each other over typing errors!

How about letting Jamie do the cover of RCN every now and again as special issues?
The latest one as a thirty year edition could have been such.
Just an idea.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 04:33:07 PM »
i thought jamies contribution laudable . chris' reply wasn't harsh , i don't think , but rather thought provoking . Whoever knew that the magazine editor had quite so many considerations - and thats just for the cover ! well done both i say  :)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 05:23:33 PM »
All talent to be encouraged and fine till a clash of task or styles. Normally that is easy resolved and harmony with variation results. A good editor, of course, is a tremendous help. Its not an easy job to balance styles, content, varied skill set and timing. Never been editor, not my skill set, despite even virtually acting as one on several occasions, but contributor for yonks. Have to work with the Ed on this, some are easier than others. If you rub along can be a rewarding pastime.   
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 05:37:22 PM »
Have to say, Chris is by far the best editor we have ever had. One of his best qualities is that he is open to suggestions which is always a good thing. Wont say anymore otherwise Chris will not be able to get his head through the doorway.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 06:13:45 PM »
woah  there bob , there are  two past editors on the forum  ;)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 07:35:30 PM »
and yes they both did a great job in there day. My preference of material would have to be that selected in the Mike Shepherd era, all great vintage microcar stuff. During Tony's reign the magazine was bought into a much more modern looking format and then Chris inherited all the acquired experience of the earlier versions and moved it on to what I feel is probably the best mico mag you can currently buy! I don't always like all of the content but there is generally something in it for all tastes.  Credit where credit is due.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 10:44:20 PM »
Credit where credit is due.

Jean was the first Editor, then Mike, Tony then took over, He who has had two Microcar books published, Now Chris carries on!

There are three past Editors on the Forum but Tony doesn't look at it so he told me.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:48:10 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.