Author Topic: spot the diffrence  (Read 15890 times)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Re: spot the diffrence
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2014, 05:48:06 PM »
Could it be a FriskySport?

If it was a Harley, it might be a hedge-hog  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2014, 06:32:20 PM »
John Meadows will be relieved to hear that the Sport is garaged in block walled and steel roofed building that I erected in my back yard, that completely protects it from the Big Bad Wolf of the outdoors.
So, no it couldn't be a Frisky Sport- but I can see the visual basis for your guess.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2014, 07:08:18 PM »
well it's steel and 4 wheeled and very small so is it something Crosley ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2014, 07:10:11 PM »
I'd guess BMW 700 Coupe.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2014, 07:35:34 PM »
I thought the same but the convertible
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2014, 08:11:04 PM »
You are getting closer.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2014, 07:28:31 AM »
Hedging my bets and glad its not pushing up the daisies. Its one of the NSU Sport Prinz series. Looking like a later NSU one.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: spot the diffrence, so
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2014, 11:16:46 AM »
It only makes sense that the man who sold more microcars of different makes than anyone else in the known universe would get this right.
However for it to be a later model Sport Prinze with the German made body- you were off by a couple of feet. 
I will send you a photo that you can post of the 1963 German made body car that has different cut lines for the panels whilst remarkably keeping an apparently identical overall body contour.  It is of slightly more robust construction and has a different dash console and interior details than the 1960 Bertone Italian built body car that is a lot more common on the West coast of the US that you discerned hiding in the bush.
Good call overall.  ;)

For some reason unbeknown to myself, the Rumcars software that allowed me to post the picture of the car in the bush wouldn't post my immediately succeeding picture taken by the same camera just moments later.  It said my file was too big, even though the files should be the same size for both photos.  I then tried to send my post without the newer photo, and it refused to accept the remaining text , necessitating this rewrite.

When I send the photo to Al my cell phone allows me to reduce the DPI content- so hopefully Al will be able to post this picture of the area immediately adjacent to the bush photo forthwith.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 09:40:10 AM »
Might work. Not to good an idea sending images to me as I struggle to get these things to work.

It did, so there is a NSU NSU Sport Prinz. Not a Bertone or German Drautz. Represents stunning value for money in my opinion. Perhaps not a full microcar, but the best in class by quite a way. Still inexpensive but for how much longer. Had some 12 of these babs over the years. It is said that less than 40 are left to the UK in any condition. Key prob - rust.

When the dust settles on sorting myself out I might yet buy a Spyder, but that is not really a Microcar more than the Sport is not.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:47:00 AM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 05:43:07 PM »
What are the differences between an NSU built NSU Sport Prinz, and a Drautz built one.
I had not heard anyone make such a distinction before.  What is the missing history here?

I must consider myself lucky, as I have 3 Sport Prinzes, and one Prinze in "field conditions" for the last 30 years here in Southern California, and the only areas that rust are the floors for a small flat section until it penetrates, and then it no longer holds water, hence rusts no more.  A smaller easy repair, leaving an otherwise non rusted vehicle.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2014, 06:18:42 PM »
Bertone production used some Fiat parts but was based on the P2 and 3. Then the contract went to Drautz in Germany. Perhaps Bertone could not meet demand, they were to expensive, I do not know. I believe about a 1000 of each were made. Then Drautz was bought into NSU ownership. The car gained uprated P4 parts and could be had with optional disc brakes, optional rear drums and wider bigger wheels, matching the Spyder. The Bertone was so different as to be a different car that looked the same as the later Sport Prinz. Quite bizarre. Job to remember but I think the door was longer, screen lower, Wings different shape. Fiat seats, Ferrari door handles. And so on.

Several Sport Prinz were modified to take wankel engines. In effect these had 4 cylinder rear suspension fitted instead of the swinging wishbone. A stronger and more predictable arrangement. The rust is a product of both poor steel on some runs and light weight gauge metal to keep the weight down, as with the rest of the range. It is one reason for the quite sprightly performance but the engine, within its limits, is a strong unit and can be reved to 7,500 revs with little fear of harm. The 600cc making a VW 1200cc look rather stupid (though the beetle is an older design). The better balanced 4 pots were raced and could handle 12,500 revs in the days a Mini fell apart much above half that. No NSU is perfect but they were ahead of the opposition in so many ways. Indeed a VW Golf Gti is more an NSU then ever it was a VW or Audi. Rewarding cars to own.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2014, 01:32:54 PM »
Fascinating historical recollection.