Author Topic: schmitt battery and self lowering suspension  (Read 1911 times)

golo2

• Chatty
schmitt battery and self lowering suspension
« on: June 25, 2014, 10:07:41 PM »
Hi all and al
Really hoping to get my schmitt running for prestwood rally in just over a week
Help 1    what battery is best? Is there  a gel one that fits? Numbers makes etc gratefully receive

Help 2   as predicted a paid for excellent resto meant I learned nothing! So now the front offside suspension keeps lowdring checked little toothed clamp and all good      marked pisition and it gas not slipped but suspension about 1" lower than nearside
Is it hard to replace the rubber  or am I missing something obvious 
Thanks in advance
Ian from Abingdon

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: schmitt battery and self lowering suspension
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 01:08:14 AM »
Lost track of battery numbers, keep messing about with them. I bought a load of Trojan Batteries at Newark Autostumble, with a drum of acid, some years back, so use them. I believe these are unobtainum now.

Suspension. Looks like you have done the right thing by marking the serrated plate that holds these units in the adjusted place. They can be misaligned or full of rust/paint/crude and not grip. Thus the suspension drops.

If the adjuster is not slipping and the unit is drooping, or on the bump stop, it is dying or dead. Changing the unit is quite exciting. You will never push the unit out without destroying the whole arm. So its time to burn the rubber out. Once it has singed everything in sight and stunk the place out you can cut the steel container away from the stub axle, clean it up and prep for the new replacement. Except these now come from Germany where the tooling was sold by Russ after a refusal to cover the liability of manufacture by the British interests. Consequently the British price has risen and availability got patchy. Should you be able to buy some units they press fit into the arm. One chance to do it right.

New rubber transforms the car. But it is expensive now. You can drive on the bumpstops but it is an uncomfortable ride.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

golo2

• Chatty
Re: schmitt battery and self lowering suspension
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 09:39:05 PM »
Thank you   good my guesses seem on track
Will see what happens with new battery  been ages since our paths crossed
Will try and message you