Author Topic: Open Day at The Hammond Collection  (Read 27269 times)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Re: Open Day at The Hammond Collection
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 12:23:12 PM »
At the moment I'm afraid I won't be there as my intended chauffeur has had his car smashed in at the rear!
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 02:06:23 PM »
You were hoping for Tony weren't you ? Not him then I hope
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »
Er, yes, but he is not hurt so I understand.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 05:13:16 PM »
Yes Tony is in the country, at Milton Keynes at the moment.   He has had some sort rear end damage done to his car but because it is a French car, on French plates and French insurance but owned by an Englishman living in France but who speaks little French, the paper work is a nightmare.  Tony is OK but until he can get the insurance claim sorted there is not much he can do, he is stuck in Milton Keynes!
Nice to hear Malcolm Parker will be joining us (he has booked into the camp site, that's how I know. Lesley has reserved the site for micronaughts for the weekend but it would be nice to know who may be joining us.
Is anyone coming from the Hertfordshire area with a tow bar, we were trying to get the Potton Historic Champion Saloon to us.  They have a trailer but their  towing vehicle  has broken down. Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 10:02:55 PM »
Can I have more info on this Hertfordshire pick up please ?  I might be able to help

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 06:27:44 PM »
I have sent you an email Steve.  See you and the family Sunday.Jean
Jean

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 07:09:48 PM »
Hello,
      Does anyone have contact details fore Tony this week ? If he needs help sorting out his French insurance maybe we can help him.            Nick.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 01:46:36 PM »
The only number I have is his home one in France. I always used to ring him. Don't know if he has a mobile. No contact for about two weeks. Only heard of the shunt from Jean. Tony hasn't got in touch?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:59:04 AM by Rob Dobie »

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 06:51:09 PM »
Stop press! I heard about two hours ago Tony is mobile again and on his way to pick up Rob Dobie, so they both should be with us to morrow!   Jean
Jean

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 09:43:30 PM »
Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow. Sorry i won't be there  :(
I need to stop buying!

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2014, 08:00:27 AM »
Tony arrived last evening! So we will be there after all.  ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 09:00:27 AM »
I think I can safely say that the openday this year was a resounding success! I don't know if this is my imagination but it feels like the people in attendance is increasing and the cars are dropping. I dare say Jean has the figures and I may be wrong.
There were certainly some interesting people there this year. I was very pleased to make the acquaintance of David and Marion Carter. David worked at Carr brothers in the 1950's making chassis' for progress scooters and the Tourette car, I was able to glean a few distant memories from him. I also was pleased to have a chat with Alan Hatswell of Cursor fame, an interesting character. Just when we were thinking that a gent in a lovely NSU Prinze sport had driven a microcar the furthest distance to the event coming from the Isle of Wight a Frisky sport appeared at the gates piloted by my friend  Pierrick [An Inter owner] having come from Lille France for the day.
What with all the things to see and folk to chat with I completely missed the opportunity to meet Chris Rees who's books I am a fan of.
I think the star of the day and worthy winner of the peoples choice award was a fine 2CV based wooden bodied one off car. I think for most of us this was the first time we had seen this one and very impressive it was too. 
All together a great day!  Many thanks to Jean, Leslie and Michael for organising the event. Also, thanks for dinner on the Saturday evening!
My apologies to you jean, what with all the excitment I completely forgot to say goodbye to you before I left!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:19:38 AM by Bob Purton »

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 09:07:30 AM »
I second that, it was great to see everyone yesterday, was good to meet Pierrick of whom I briefly spoke to many moons ago, nice to see the Frisky Sport shoot past me when walking from the station!   >:(

I had a fairly long chat with the owner/constructor of the wooden bodied 2CV based car, not only had the body been laid up by hand using wooden strips bonded around ply sections, (bit like building a model airplane fuselage), but a portion of the front had actually been steamed! Intriguingly his wife explained how he'd very cleverly utilized some of her kitchen implements, for example: the front grill surround was originally a serving dish, the ports either side were from the bottom of another metal dish of some description, whilst the central piece of the windscreen frame was actually crafted from a large serving spoon.

Rob, I forgive you for not recognizing me, looks like I've been out of the loop too long, though much impressed by the Hammond's improvements to the site since I was last there, roll on next year.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:24:44 PM by blob »

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 10:08:20 AM »
My little family and I had a really good day to, my son was more in to the chickens and Shetland , my hi light was to see Jaime getting his peel running and driving around ,oh and of corse meeting you lot !

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 01:44:57 PM »
I just want to say thank you to everyone who mucked in a helped on the day without even being asked.  Especial thanks must go to Michael and Lesley for all their hard work because I am afraid my contribution to the preparations are rather limited these days.  I agree with Bob more people and less cars.  Chris counted 20 vehicles which included the 3 scooters and 2 hot rods.  However everyone seemed have enjoyed themselves. the weather was kind and there lots of interesting people to talk to.  It was tiring but oh so well worthwhile, I hope Leslie and Michael will invite us again next year!
Jean