Author Topic: Bath Rally, Keynsham  (Read 10188 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Bath Rally, Keynsham
« on: July 01, 2014, 07:13:55 AM »
So who is going to this one at the weekend? From what I can gather there should be a better turnout than at any other Microcar event so far this year. I have failed to get a car going, simply to much work on, but I might pop an interesting car on the trailer and take it down. Hope to do both days. It is effectively going to be the South's substitute national event as I cannot see many doing the trek to Wetherby. We will miss both Mike O'Balance and Jim Hacking who both made the effort in the opposite direction and were clear creators of interest over the weekend when present. Hard to fill that void but hopefully someone will step up to the mark.
If Bath does continue to uphold its position then it might be time to reform some sort of support group in the South to back its finances and organisation and help Wynford to run it.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: Bath Rally, Keynsham
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 11:31:24 AM »
Dear Al

Is it definitely on the first weekend in July. I thought I had missed it.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 01:09:52 PM »
Yes, it's this coming weekend.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 01:37:55 PM »
Hoping to be there one way or the other. My engine is playing about, ticks over well but doesn't want to rev without popping and banging and I haven't got much spare time to look at it closely this week.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 01:51:21 PM »
Have you tried changing the condenser?

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 03:57:40 PM »
Have you tried changing the condenser?
Not yet Bob, but thanks for the suggestion. I spoke to Villiers Services today and they suggested exactly the same thing!
Malcolm

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 07:43:02 AM »
From what I can make out the years most successful event in terms of numbers with in excess of 30 cars on the run. Interestingly the turnout showed minimal support from the immediate locality but much more support from a distance. Devon and Cornwall, Pembrokeshire across to Wrexham and our now regulars from northern climes who boost the events numbers and activity. The funds to run this event remain stretched. Yobish behavior by concert goers using the on site facilities saw the Toilets vandalised and locked on Friday night, again, and an an altercation with the archery club for the second year running has all served possible need to change venue. Indeed it was Mrs Dai Morgan who had cleaned up the Toilets so they could be re opened, not the rather remote management of the site. A brief discussion after Rally clear up revealed next year is to be the 30th event. The hard core of folk attending were most certain it should continue, not least with the National straying far north again, Indeed there was talk of folk going to the Gaydon version as it was nearer. So it might be time for a bit of a refresh and relaunch for the Bath event. As it was people were happy to pay a bit more to camp and attend to keep the event going. So very positive there.

As seems the pattern these days the proportion of weekend participants is not out numbered by day visitors in cars on Sunday, as used to be the case. Folk are not driving their cars to Rallys. Choosing to weekend or not trail a car down for a day. So the run out becomes a big deal. This years was a success as a odd museum had been found that had a reasonable foodary attached. This a nice drive away, Avon always offers challenging driving with its Cotswold/Mendip deep valley landscape.

It was good to meet the gang again. Many of these folk have been in it for years. Despite dire weather forecasts it was dry and sunny, a beautiful weekend to be out. The spread of cars was a little odd though. The bias toward light cars is evident and already known. But a lone Isetta was none the less a surprise. That flushed out some Isetta folk who had little good to say about the club and that owners are starved of spares. This beget discussion on other clubs and events.  A great deal of negativity but little answer to common problems throughout the clubs/events. My only pleasure, if that is what it was, was to hear I am not the only one who holds certain values and beliefs to true or self evident. However unless that is backed up with action to make change, it is not going to happen.

A number of potential attendees were attending Classic Le Mans instead. There lies one problem, seriously tough alternative events to Micronauts who have gone on to buy other sorts of machinery. Its easier for them to leave the Microcars doing the same thing and join in other experiences never on offer in our small world. A tricky situation to answer.

Nonetheless I enjoyed a day in the sun and Bath was mellow. It will continue.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 10:08:18 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it Al.
It was on my list of events to attend this year but unfortunately it clashed with a Party that my wife wanted to go to. If you know the film Genevieve you will be familiar with that scenario! Unlike John Gregson I backed down for a quite life!
I have never like the Keynsham site so if that changes it will be interesting. Not the first time that yobish behaviour has spoiled things but its usually the Bond Bug owners! ;D
Maybe I will get there next year with a completed Bobette.

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 12:10:47 PM »
Made it, phew! and very pleased to be judged 1st out of the four Bonds attending.  :) Completely knackered after spending the previous day taking the engine apart and putting it all back together only to find, having replaced numerous bits and pieces that the problem was the timing having moved out of position! Here's some pics.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:39:03 PM by Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker) »
Malcolm

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 12:12:12 PM »
More pics.
Malcolm

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 12:14:54 PM »
More pics, including a really gorgeous Honda S800 that showed up half way through the day.
Malcolm

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 12:37:46 PM »
And a very racy Berkeley that drove up to it's trailer at the end so fast I was convinced he was going to use it as a jump ramp.
Malcolm

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 01:13:15 PM »
Hands up all those old enough to hear "Keynsham, that's K - E - Y - N - S - H - A - M" when reading this thread title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Batchelor

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 01:30:11 PM »
Heard of it many many times so yes . Heard OF it rather than heard it though
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977