Author Topic: MalcolmGoldsworthy  (Read 3303 times)

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
MalcolmGoldsworthy
« on: July 10, 2014, 01:14:07 PM »
All those of you who knew Malcolm will be sad to learn that he died on Tuesday, 8th July after a long illness. He will be sadly missed in the microcar world and our thoughts are with his widow Helen and his son Hugh at this time.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: MalcolmGoldsworthy
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 03:17:31 PM »
Unfortunately , like many I hazard a guess , never heard a bad word and had him down as an eccentric hermit - nothing wrong with either . Would anyone car to put the record straight ? Surely a prime subject for a RUM article . I do know that he acquired some fascinating cars and kept them for a long time before selling them , last year It must have been . RIP
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 03:20:15 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 04:49:46 PM »
He was a good friend of my Mum's best friend and I met him a couple of times when he visited our yard in Beautiful Downtown Bermondsey.

On his first visit, and before I knew who he was, he noticed the tarpaulin over DUF and asked what was under it, so I told him it was a bubble car. He immediately laughed and said "I know it's a bubble car, just wondering whether it is a Heinkel or Trojan".

We had a long, friendly and enthusiastic chat about all things mechanical, especially micros and bubbles, and another long chat next time he visited. he was already quite old and I was impressed by his strength and ability to manipulate a large and very heavy trailer in our narrow yard.

I never did get to see his collection or get to know him well, but he seemed to me to be as likable as he was eccentric, a real character. RIP.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 10:13:16 AM »
He was as near Viv Stanshall as Microcars get when messing about driving the smaller cars at Burford. Well mannered British eccentricity with a dose of bonkers. A poise I have never managed to pull off. Another of those that made you want to get into these strange unwanted (at the time) vehicles. Probably underrated for his effect in getting cars back in use by being MG.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 11:40:27 AM »
Viv ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 04:00:05 PM »
Principle nutcase in the Bonzo Dog Doodah Band. Try Rollinson End for pure Stanshall. Not everyone's taste in humour.
Also the voice of Tubular Bells, hence the intro/outro single from BDDB including the classic intro 'Hitler on Vibes, looking very relaxed.......', as well as described just previously KEYNSHAM Bath Rally link. So clearly some Stanshall fans in the mix.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs