Author Topic: Italian Panther  (Read 12342 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Italian Panther
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 08:56:39 AM »
We are in danger of digressing bob , but as over three times as many Gordon's were sold as Inters it appears that the public were more in favour of the Gordon  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 09:26:30 AM »
I don't mind a little digression. Pardon my cheekiness.  So how many Gordons survive?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 09:31:13 AM »
What's wrong with a two stroke diesel? Much better if its supercharged. See one of my fav engines, the Commer Knocker.

Was there not Panther stationary and generator engines? No idea on details but seem to recall tripping over such things. Interesting looking car, rather modern for 1954.

Panther stationary engines ring a bell with me too but as the snippet says, they used Rumi motors in the car which indicates to me that they didn't make there own engines, although it doesn't say that the later petrol engines were Rumi.
I am immediately interested as I just adore Rumi bikes.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 10:30:03 AM »
Strangely the car itself does look quite rumi , we'll more so than some micros . Then again some were inter-mediate
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 01:33:44 PM »
How many surviving Inters are there bob ? Next RUM mag gives an interesting suggestion as to why only 6 Gordon's survive. Talking elsewhere of design faults as we were.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:48:29 PM by richard »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 05:25:18 PM »
Richard, Jean Do would be in a better position to answer that as he keeps a register but I think its in its high twenties. Just over 300 were made.
When I asked how many Gordons survive, it was a genuine question.
I have always thought it a little puzzling that we have news letters in RCN for vehicles that have sometimes less than a handful of survivors and why those particular marques. It doesn't make any sense. If there are only six Gordons and thirty Inters surely there should be an Inter news letter? Or is the criteria that there has to be one in the Hammond collection?
Maybe the criteria is just having someone willing to write one and to fill the pages. Not saying that I don't enjoy reading some of them.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 05:39:08 PM »
I have a model 70 and there may only be 30 left.  Would you like an article Bob?   ;D

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 05:53:03 PM »
NO !!!! FGS Barry  ;) save it for Stuarts news letter  :)

Bob RUM is for UNUSUAL microcars , by it's nature you cant really have an Isetta page and anyway they and the like are covered by owners clubs and mags . RUM was not founded initially for "common" microcars , unfortunately there are only 6 surviving Gordons ( two of which are known about broadly ,but not yet in the fold )
We have Gordon Fitzgeralds not seen in 25 years , mine talked about but the less said the better, Jeans - still uncompleted , the ex Gordon Gunter one that Nick Taylor bought a year ago - seen at last NMCR - THERE WE HAVE IT 4 - UNUSUAL . if there was anything to be said on the other unusual cars i suppose it would be in the form of one off articles . it certainly was not my idea - or wish - to do a series of Gordon pages but i was hijacked  ;)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 06:09:47 PM »
Dear Bob

Richard is doing a cracking job of recording the history of the Gordon and telling us all about it. Perhaps one day you would like to do the same for the Inter.

The list of contributers is partially related to cars that are of interest to our readers. But also finding amature and professional writers who would like to put pen to paper to share their knowledge or research. With all the research you have done on the Panther, it should not go to waste. With a little bit more research and a picture of the Rumi engine, and bang Bob Purton can join the ranks of the Rumcar contributers. Unlike some motoring magazines I will not drastically change your words; perhaps the odd spelling, and punctuation, and redundant word.

I know that putting fingers to keyboards is not everybody's idea of fun, but there is some satisfaction in seeing the end result in print.

Think about it one and all

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 07:13:25 PM »

Dear Richard and Chris. When I mentioned the news letters of cars with only a hand full of survivors I meant just that, the news letters for the Frisky, Nobel, Goggomobil etc seem more appropriate as there are considerably more of them. I would have thought that cars like the AC Petite, Gordon etc would be catered for just as well with an occasional article. Some times when I read them the writer clearly has no news or fresh information to disseminate and waffles on about what a nice saturnalia he had or the price of fish.... That's got to be understandable after all! If there is no news there is no news.
Richard is doing a cracking job as you said but the time may come when there is no more to say and may want to revert to an occasional article. In the mean time though I think he has a backlog of stuff to tell us.
Re me doing the same for the story of the Inter, I have already done it TWICE! The first. a time long before you were on the scene Chris. I wouldn't want to bore the socks off everyone by going over it all again, as I own the only one in the uk I would be talking to myself wouldn't I?
We all have our preferences, some like to restore, some like to drive, others like to research and write. Most cant find time to do more than one.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 09:34:43 PM »
Dear Bob
Getting back to the topic and your fascination with the Panther.
The engine has always struck me as unusual being a twin cylinder diesel but the quote you posted said it was a Moto Rumi engine.
Looking at Moto Rumi all their scooters and bikes had 125 twin 2 strokes, and no mention of any other engines, either diesel or 4 stroke. I wonder if that is an error and it should have been a Rotax engine or another make entirely.

I think more research is needed before the article can be written.

Good luck Bob.

Chris Thomas

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 09:55:19 PM »
Deutsche Kleinwagen i think has it as a diesel 2 stroke - mein deutsch ist kaput  :)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 10:09:47 PM »
Is a diesel two stroke more or less the same as a petrol one? Just higher compression and no spark? Why are they not common?

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
Dear Barry

For some reason motor cycle engines have always been about getting the most power out of the smallest, simplest and lightest engine. Diesels by their very nature were heavy and slow and low powered for their weight. Many microcars used available motor cycle engines so they did not embrace Diesel engines. It was probably the French car manufacturer Duport who promoted the use of small industrial diesel units in quadricycles that has resulted in the range of small diesel cars we have today.
In the 1950's and early 60's the two stroke engines was seen as having a lot more development potential than the 4 stroke and lots of experimental engines were tried, including two stroke Diesels, but as we have seen very few ever saw the light of day.

There were some Diesel motorcycles built, but they are a rarity.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 08:35:23 AM »
I don't know if all diesel 2 strokes are the same but the ones I have seen demonstrated all have an exhaust valve so not the same as a petrol 2 stroke.
The reason why motorcycle engines are developed to get the maximum performance and power out of the smallest capacity is I think as a result of the taxation rules of the various countries in which they were developed. Italy being a prime example. It was very expensive to owe anything bigger than a 125. No country did more to develop the 50cc motor in my view.

Royal Enfield India do a diesel version of the Bullet. Its not popular!