Author Topic: What car is this?  (Read 2502 times)

milnes

• Quite Chatty
What car is this?
« on: July 15, 2014, 09:36:06 PM »
Anyone know what it is?

I need to stop buying!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: What car is this?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 10:08:55 PM »
It seems to have the same wheel layout* as a  Scott Sociable but I have only ever seen  photos of them from the other side, so not sure if it is one! 

* two wheels in line, one outrigger, like a motorcycle and sidecar.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 10:19:15 PM »
The title "sociable" was not unique to Scott , tho was a class of vehicles being more sociable than motorcycles. As with all sets of photos on the net nothing is definitive , search for Isetta images and you will be faced with loads of images that WE know are not Isetta, for example
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 10:33:56 PM »
Are the rear wheels staggered like a sidecar or inline ? Trying to think how the passenger doesn't drop under braking when cornering

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:13:31 AM »
Yup, AC started out a s a cargo carrier, hence "Auto Carrier", and their first vehicle for people was called Sociable, possibly to distinguish them from earlier cars where the passenger sat in a wicker seat in front of the driver, and other tandem arrangements. I think Sociable implied side-by side seating so that you could catch a glimpse of a lady's ankles [censored on account of gross indecency, Ed.]

Looks like the Scott's back wheels are in-line beside each other. Scott were successful motor cycle builders, but designed their Sociable as "one-up" from a m/c combination, but few sold. None of the advantages of a combi, all of the disadvantages, and the handling is reckoned to be particularly bad, so I would love to try driving one!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face