Author Topic: something in common  (Read 8930 times)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: something in common
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 12:21:56 PM »
I wonder if it's to do with membership of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders and issues to do with rationing and supply in the early 50s? Certainly as far as the Motor Show was concerned, the SMMT had very strict delineation about who could appear at the show, which is why three-wheelers were always at the Motorcycle show.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 12:25:46 PM »
This is the sort of background that I was hinting at Grant . Agreed about Wipac but British motorcycles of the time were all better for having Lucas headlamps . I also heard that Vernons had supply problems with parts and this was always a problem for them . Come on then Nimrod did Bond C/D have Lucas from new or " lookalike "?         Thanks Malcolm also heard these things before and had forgotten the detail - good info and new to some I think
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:45:54 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 01:31:06 PM »
On Grants point I did a bit of research and found that Clearhooter ,Butlers Millers , L E Perry and Raydyot appear to have All been from Birmingham . Sparto were from South Ruislip , Middx , Wipac from Bletchley ( which one) and PMG from Bridlington , N. Yorks !
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 03:58:18 PM »
Grant , would that be why some Friskys had Lucas pigs ears and some Wipac indicators as well ?

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 07:55:54 PM »
The Lucas pigs ear indicators were used on the later Family 3, Mk2 and last few Coupes all likely to have been built in 1959 and 1960 when Lucas were then supplying to the smaller manufacturers.  The Wipac D shaped rear lights and indicators were used on the earlier Sport which were mostly built in 1958.  I am sure Mr Meadows will be able to give the definitive answer.

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 09:48:11 PM »
This is the sort of background that I was hinting at Grant . Agreed about Wipac but British motorcycles of the time were all better for having Lucas headlamps . I also heard that Vernons had supply problems with parts and this was always a problem for them . Come on then Nimrod did Bond C/D have Lucas from new or " lookalike "?         Thanks Malcolm also heard these things before and had forgotten the detail - good info and new to some I think

OK Richard, if you insist. This thing about Lucas not supplying to minor manufacturers, the wiper motors on the Mark A and B were in fact Lucas, appearing late in 1949.

On the C & D lighting all was Raydyot up the front, the centre rear was also Raydyot. The C wing lamps were again a Raydyot aftermarket flush fit type very similar to the Lucas 471, the later C and all D Models did have Lucas wing lamps with Tourer having the Lucas 471 and the Family the L549. Very similar rear lights to the L471 were manufactured by LEP, Britax, Sparto Wingard and Raydyot etc. all intended I believe for aftermarket fitment.

The C & D Bonds both had L. E. Perei wiper motors

Any good?? Please do not ask what happened 5 minutes ago though, that would be a difficult one.

7 x Bond Minicars ABCCDDF

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »
Nice to hear from you  Nim . C/D number plate light ? Obviously I have been misspelling Perei ! Cheers rich

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 10:16:13 PM »
Richard, the number plate light I called the centre rear, this was Raydyot, cheers
7 x Bond Minicars ABCCDDF

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 08:13:52 AM »
Thanks my friend all is now  clearer

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 10:32:35 AM »
Lucas - bulk supplier with accounts for clients. Not really interested in small, risky accounts so therefore COD terms.
Aftermarket lights would be small business. A nice little order over retail selling might offer an account status. So better price, later payment - hopefully after the product was sold so limiting capital outlay over trading with Lucas?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs