Author Topic: something in common  (Read 8936 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
something in common
« on: July 23, 2014, 08:16:05 PM »
can you identify them and whats the point in common then ? and why ?

well bob asked for something new on the forum today  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Re: something in common
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 11:10:14 PM »
Looks like a load of rubbish someone will be putting on ebay.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 02:22:47 AM »
Nope - a serious question this Rob
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 07:10:35 AM »
If they are anyting to do with the Gordon they are not common.  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:42:39 AM »
All used on various Bonds?
All microcar parts?
All bought at Beaulieu?
All made by defunked manufacturers?
All new old stock?
You will never get around to fitting any of it on your cars?
Cant sell any of it for love or money?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 08:55:13 AM »
Come on you can do better than that ! Look deeper , you did touch on it Bob . Perhaps more what they are not ?

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »
Rectifier, bullet connector, round headlamps with simple bulbs, surface-mounted lights, added parking lights ...

Things that modern cars don't have?

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 10:13:01 AM »
All British manufactured, Miller, Butler, Britax PMG, Raydyot and Wipac.  All fitted to British manufactured microcars......
Were are these British electrical component manufacturers all in the Birmingham area ??
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:38:38 AM by scootacar »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 10:45:05 AM »
Got the gist right  L.E. Perry , Raydyot , Wipac, Sparto , PMG Thorpe all British all fitted to British microcars - but in one word what are they NOT and do we know why ?  Regret to say I have no idea where the companies were based . Miller and Butler fall into the same category but not pictured here also Clearhooter  :D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:12:31 PM by richard »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 08:20:57 PM »
C'mon then with that group of automotive electrics suppliers which BIG one is missing ? and why ? deliberate company policy regarding economy cars , pressure from the big boys ? no adaptability for possibly small production runs ? or was it all just price ?
any theories ?

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:10:29 PM »
We'll, Lucas is missing?

But only from that collection.  It certainly pops up in microcars.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 10:22:31 PM »
Ah Dave but that's my question - why rarely until later on , was it a policy of not supplying ? When did Bond first use them ? mark E ? What did Bond use on C 's and D's stop and tail ? Lucas or something like Sparta,Raydyot or unbranded , I think one of the latter am I right ?

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 10:53:55 PM »
I thought the C rear lights were Lucas - but it's 43 years since I had a C!

E, F and G have plenty of Lucas, and the add-on electric starter kit of 1953 onwards featured Lucas motor and solenoid?

Brit-built Isettas have Lucas lights, do they not, even if Bosch engine electrics?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 08:15:13 AM »
yes but Bond,Scootacar,Peel, Gordon and others used the minor suppliers initially, Lucas only making an appearance with 7" headlamps - AC Petite,Frisky Bond . i was just wondering if there was something going on ?

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »
Yes, the major British motor manufacturers of the time and trade unions ensured that Joseph Lucas did not supply to minor manufacturers.  I once spoke to an elderly gent at the NEC (not John Meadows.....) who used to be high up in Lucas and he explained with reference to our minority manufactured cars why Lucas could not supply until 1958-59.  The Frisky Sport is the perfect example, designed to have Lucas pre focus headlights but production cars had to be fitted with Wipac and a terrible white rubber ring to blend the body profile to the slightly smaller units.
Wipac is reasonable but all the others, LEP, Stadium, Sparto, Raydyot where all after market accessories and of much poorer quality.