Author Topic: POWERDRIVE Mk3 for sale  (Read 5753 times)

Alastair

• Chatty
POWERDRIVE Mk3 for sale
« on: July 30, 2014, 07:41:19 PM »
I spotted an advert in this months Practical Classics for an original 1956 Powerdrive for sale and realised that the car has been on the RUM register for many years. I've since spoken to the owner whose owned it since 2007 and he's asked me to mention it in the Forum.
The owner has rebuilt the engine and it's running sweetly. The brakes and steering have been totally rebuilt with new parts and the chassis has been overhauled. He then put the body back on but lost interest so he describes the condition of the bodywork as OK but needing finishing. The car has a V5C and he tells me that he has driven it. In the Practical Classics advert he has a price of £3750 on it to reflect both the work he's done on it and the valuation placed on the registration number (shudder). He's open to offers of a trade for a scooter or motorbike.
If anyone is interested his telephone number is 01206 272943 (Colchester) and his email address is d.ivory1px@btinternet.com

If any forum reader purchases the car please let me know so that I can keep the Register updated.

Alastair   

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: POWERDRIVE Mk3 for sale
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 08:18:39 AM »
Hmmm hasn't it gone quiet  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 08:49:16 AM »
Sounds like a good opportunity. Several of these survivors need chassis so there is an item of interest for a start. The fundamental flaw with these cars is the work asked of the engine and the poor cooling. The second issue can be resolved, at the expense of originality. Style, ride and handling seem OK, the Coronet is a comfy car but the armrest doors and more radical styling of the Poweredrive look preferable. 
Then we see its an unfinished project in Essex. So that's no then from me. Well I can no longer take on such things with a gamy leg.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 09:31:50 AM »
Strange, the second Powerdrive to turn up in the great county of Essex, the other one being over Woodford way, the one that Tony Marshal was given free, gratis and for nothing, he was really swindled by an Essex man wasn't he!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 12:53:19 PM »
Yep. He had to pay to store the huge microcar for years, as the owner, as he had nowhere free to put it. The guy in Essex got an empty space, probably more useful than a dead Powerdrive, or possibly even a live one? Gifts are not always free.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 09:54:23 PM »
yes but al's story is much better  :D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 09:57:48 PM »
He would have had to pay rent to garage it if he bought the car for money, where's the logic?
 It was costing the vendor nothing to store it deserted in Woodland behind his property. Al just has a bad case of County racism.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 10:10:28 AM »
If you pay money for it, it ain't free. Matters not to whom the money is paid. Each car is a cost centre. Each cost centre is balanced against the wish/need to own. I have never seen a 'free' car. They do not exist in reality.
However free storage with a car gifted is very cheap, and can remain at a peppercorn cost per year, unlike the rental of, say, a council garage. Over 10 years at £12 a month, say, that would put the free car at a cost of £1,440 plus getting it home - so call it £1,500. Do I want a dead Powerdrive for £1,500? Some may, some may not and ownership of the rare is the only way to secure one. However I would not call this a cheap car but probably about the right value now.
Meanwhile Mr Woodland has had the pleasure of being able to gamble round his woods, with grandchildren or pigs, full in the knowledge they will not be hurt by a derelict car such as the one Dave bought for £50 with my help years ago, since hardly anyone was remotely interested in Powerdrives. It all seems logical to me. But then many folk choose not to produce real costings on their hobbies and vehicles as the real figures tend to make the eyes water a little more than the theoretical ones.
None of this has any bounds on county, creed or purchase. It is logic and reality. It is how to know if you really made any money out of a car, or other thing, should that be important to you. It is to me and I know the cost of each of my cars pretty accurately, therefore making clearance and disposal easier as I can judge when a car is in danger of exceeding its level of value, or if I invest in it as I like it, how much I stand to loose so that I am sure I gain enough enjoyment from it to warrant the overspend unlikely to be recouped. I seem oddly unusual in doing this from what I can make out.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 10:53:19 AM »
That is all logical Al but you have entirely missed my point which was simply that as Tony wanted it, it was a nice of the guy to let Tony have it for nothing. Where as a greedy double dealing untrustworthy  so and so as you paint everyone from Essex would have at least tried to prise money out of him for it.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 11:13:01 AM »
He might have been a Scotsman who had moved to Essex from Yorkshire? Then again he might have been a born again Suffolker.
Remember my father came from Essex (Ilford, Brentwood). He must have got me in a dodgy deal somewhere if my theory is correct.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 12:21:39 PM »
Yeh, you probably have someone else's birth certificate and a dodgy chassis number tattooed on your backside. He should have asked for his money back! ;D

Sorry all if I'm more grouchy than usual, suffering with sciatica, very painful.

Back to the power drive, has anyone been to look at it? I know where there is a spare Lion badge if needed.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 08:05:04 PM »
That will be working on the Bobbette with its Attica like bits taking revenge. THe cars are in better shape than we are!