Author Topic: National Micro car Rally  (Read 24886 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: National Micro car Rally
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 08:55:47 PM »
Report just in. Friday tea time and at least 65 units at the event. So it looks like it is going to be a good one. Waverers, your mind has been made up. Bottys and Bubbles over there, pronto. 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 09:07:42 PM »
Very much looking forward to it too . Interestingly I  am taking the engines that I ebayed up for collection - and two of them appear to be non regulars on the scene . There is new interest out there ! Mike and I are intending to be there about 10ish in the morning
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 07:48:10 AM »
No doubt about that, Richard. I think the pot has been pretty well stirred over the last few years. Be interesting to know who some of these new owners, potential enthusiasts, are. What % might become folk who take up the challenge of taking on the batten of organising club/events/spares. We know they are out there, as some have made themselves known on this very forum. New blood is always needed to keep things fresh, and we lost some influential friends over last year. A drink on Saturday night to them.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

messyman

• messerschmitt kr200, frisky, isetta 300
  • Quite Chatty
  • messyman motors
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 07:53:39 PM »
 ;D lol at least there's someone with a bit of humour
messyman restorator of rust relics vw or bubblecars
www.vw-specials.forumotion.com
Messerschmitt kr200 x2 ,frisky family 3 mk1 shell,isetta 300 lhd chassis, vw polo,vw caddy mk1 , t4 , mini , my dad has 2x Messerschmitt kr175

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 08:32:57 PM »
Great to see everyone as always , except nick mander . Dave miller, bob and al of this parish , was it too far North or just too much after Bonds at Morecambe  last weekend and Goodwood this weekend all a bit too much . I didn't think it a great turnout by any means - treinkels the most numerous and although andy counted over 100 by my reckoning well short of that as he counted all sorts of brand new stuff and Fiat 500's which technically may be micro are not in the spirit of it ? Where were all the Friskies - 1 and Scootacars -1 etc ? Anyway off now for 10 days in the sun so won't have to answer the issue  ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:59:10 AM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 11:15:03 PM »
Well, I intended to go, and indeed was on my way there from Morecambe, when I pranged the Hymer into the Bond ...

About £1000 worth of damage to the Hymer's rear.  Bond seems fine!  I was so annoyed, I went home for a sulk.

Perhaps microcars are stronger than we think.  I know it doesn't say much for my reversing skills, but I once reversed the Bond into my neighbour's Astra van.  Dented the Astra, and pulled its rear quarter bumper right off.  I polished out the scratch on the Bond's rear wing!

I hope all those who went had a great time (and no prangs).
 ;)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 04:01:21 AM »
Very sorry to hear that Dave ! Glad about your lovely Bond though, and shame you both weren't there

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 08:49:37 AM »
bob of this parish[small b] was holidaying but returned home in time for a good moped run Sunday morning then tuned the S25 Villiers carb in afternoon, I wondered why my 9e wasn't running well, the needle was protruding about 8mm more than it should from the slide. Set it at 1.95 inches and it now runs lovely!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 09:55:32 AM »
Anyway off now for 10 days in the sun so won't have to answer the issue  ;)

Where is the Sun? Sounds like a more extensive flight than Orkney. Have a good hols.

I went to Toddington where they had some 120/130 cars. The Shopper was not booked in, as I was late applying, and the new system seems to have a bit longer lee time. However having Andrew drive the car round, it was impossible for them to refuse entry, as it immediately become the centre of attraction. When I finally caught up with it, and the organizer, he just underlined things by saying 'Oh its you, is it? I should have known' A welcome I recognise as success, in its own right, and a bending of rules gained by years of attending with stupid cars. Formalities done, I gained my free rovers train ticket, and we plunged into Classic Car land. A great meeting and Toddy seems to be establishing itself as a drivers meeting twice a year.

This do was about as much as my leg would put up with and I was happy to leave Andrew exhibiting the Shopper and take to the DMU unit which is the only way to get over the recently opened viaduct. But even here I was recognised as owner of the Shopper and much banter was had.

For some reason no Root on this so I assumed he was at the National. Quite a few Mircocar owners were met, and some long time Micronauts, who asked about the National and why it was not on anymore. This in part as some assumed it had to be in the Cotswold area for some reason, others as they have long lost touch with clubs, folk and other microcars. Mainly from places West of Gloucester into the Welsh Marches, never a strong area for Microcar clubs, and people who remain quite independent of thought and character. I felt old as we were often talking of events 20 years passed, and all these folk knew who I was, but I did not know who half of them were. The fact I had moved caused consternation, despite it only being three miles, as so many folk knew 56, and looked at the drive to see what crap I had when they passed. The old house has sold at last and one wonders if they will get strange men arriving looking for the 'Bubblecar man'.

Back in the cars and it was time for circuit and bumps, a burn up with an E type Jag, to much mirth, and various other mucking about. I managed a whole day with out insulting anyone I was in such a good mood. A great day out. I was pleased, but saddened, not to do the National, but if I had I would have got tired and irritable. The illness really kicked the stuffing out of me this summer and I am only approaching some sort of fitness again.

Poor old Bond, to get clipped. Many Hymers are stretched ali panels so not very strong compared to a Bond, I expect. Because they are lined out the Hymer/Eriba are not so easy to repair so a very annoying incident. Anyone who reverses trailers has a day where reversing brain seems to be none functioning though. Just one of those things.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:35:46 AM by Big Al »

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 08:31:10 PM »
I only had time to drive up for Saturday afternoon and Sunday, but despite being thoroughly knackered, had a great time. Unfortunately I couldn't bring my Bond, and I didn't count how many cars were there, but it seemed to me to be a reasonable turn out, and the micros were bolstered by a group of colourful 60's Commer camper vans that stopped by on Saturday and a clutch of Carvers that swooped in en masse on the Sunday along with an Ecomobile and a couple of other semi-enclosed motorbikes. Everybody seemed pretty happy and I was told saturday's run through the Dales was epic even if the departure was slightly uncoordinated. Weather wasn't quite as fantastic as Malvern last year, but the only rain I saw was a very light sprinkling first thing on Sunday. I'll put some photos up in a bit.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 10:21:53 PM »
Dear Malcolm

I counted 104 including the Citroen Ami and the Lomax in the car park, but not including the motorbikes and scooters

I thought there was a nice mix of old and new microcars, but as always I would have liked to see more Unusual Microcars. Our kind or cars.

It was good to see Dutch, Belgian and Germans at the event. Each year there are more, so we must be doing something right.

As always it is good to meet up with old and new friends with their cars. That's what makes a good rally.

Congratulations to the hard working team who organised and ran the event.

Chris Thomas

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 12:27:06 AM »
One of the four Berkeleys and a few of the Bonds
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

• Global Moderator