Author Topic: National Micro car Rally  (Read 24887 times)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: National Micro car Rally
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 12:35:07 AM »
Misc plastic, Solyto, Trojan & a very beautiful Velam
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 12:40:49 AM »
And a Vespa, a William and a Mochet to finish off. Thanks very much to everyone who made the effort to bring their cars and once again to the organisers for a smashing event.
Malcolm

Mark Green

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 03:47:29 AM »
Great Pictures Malcolm,  Thank you for posting them.
1958 FriskySport

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 02:51:17 PM »
Yes, thanks for the pictures Malcolm. It gave me a taste of what I missed. I particularly liked the Goggo van and Mikes Mochet. One day he may even put wheels on it!

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 04:27:43 PM »
With the amount of bacon Richard was frying behind the Mochet, I think Mike will need to fit stronger wheels.
Malcolm

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 08:13:44 PM »
Bacon? A Mochet should be served with brioche bread and strong coffee surely? The Bond owner, and possibly Gordon too, would be a Bacon man. Guilty as charged.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »
Had a chat to Rally attendees at clubnight. They came up with the surprising number of 91 Microcars present at the National. Some deviation with other published totals, probably due to what folk call a Microcar, and an entrant, I expect. It seemed that a good time was had, the weather pretty much behaved itself, but that the new owners of the Racecourse were not very helpful, nor very sensible. Therefore in putting in some solid waterpipes for a dog show the next weekend, they left an unmarked trap in the dark camping area. This claimed a victim who sustained a broken shoulder. I suspect a claim will be made and various who ha's had, none of which is really very helpful to the National, even though it was not a fault of Rally or micronauts. No one wins in these situations. All very unfortunate and hopes for a swift and relatively comfortable recovery without the need to pin.
Moving on, talk of what was done, and so forth, proved entertaining. The Treinkels really took on the event with a good turnout of what remains an uncommon car. It was thought Bond numbers suffered from the close date of their own traditional bun fight. The spirit willing, but flesh and wallet not. Some found the Micromaniac style of a few prominent directions and taking to the hills, a bit daunting. I assume they prefer a more captive, and small convoys approach, to driving out. The feeling of safety in numbers, especially if one of the party 'knows the way'. It does not seem to have diminished the activities though, which is pleasing to hear, as road runs are better with some element of independence, I think. 
Slightly of concern was the statement from one of our entertainers that he has decided he has probably done his quota of large events. I cannot say I am surprised, having been privy to some reaction for all the work he has done, which was not really fair given the situation he was presented with. I fear that might have been the straw. Anyway, I changed tack and introduced the idea of a revisit to an old venue, in a slightly different format, as an option. This out of a failure to provide a Cotswold Anniversary Road Run this year due both to competing events and illness. That said, the few faithful gathered at Nether Westcott with cars, despite several folk forgetting which weekend was which.  Out of the research I made over 6 months has appeared a potentially good Cotswold based option. Probably due to booking and advertising reasons of the hosts for 2016, not next year. We left the pubnight to cogitate on it. I am limbering up to make first contact to see if the idea can fly. There are a number of reason why it will not! However the downward drift of Microcars attending a National Rally needs to be addressed, and change might be what is needed. Not huge change, but sensible tweaking and some innervation.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs