Author Topic: The 1952 Egan Three Wheeler  (Read 2941 times)

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
The 1952 Egan Three Wheeler
« on: August 10, 2014, 05:50:19 PM »
I don't know how much is known of this car, by members here, but I had seen only a few words about it in Elvis Payne's book, and even fewer words, plus tiny picture, in Chris Rees's book.    A search of the forum produced no matches, so here goes:

Because of the (derogatory!) mention of a Bond in the report, I was given a half-page article from "Motor Sport" of November 1951, saying as follows:
Economy Cars

With the return of the Austin Seven a highlight of the just-concluded Earls Court Show, thoughts turn again to economy vehicles built to personal ideals and ideas.  Consequently, we were interested to see an economy three-wheeler which Jerry Egan is building, purely as a hobby, at the Leacroft Engineering Works, Egham.

This vehicle has a chassis, roughly triangular, of 16-gauge steel tube, with an angle-frame to carry the body panels, which help to stiffen the structure. From the rear of the chassis on each side trail fabricated arms pivoted on plain bearings. The extremities of these arms carry grease-packed races on which run the wheelbarrow back wheels. Suspension is by means of strands of elastic running forward from bell cranks on the trailing arms to an anchorage under the chassis, a light, simple, inexpensive and durable form of soft back springing thus being obtained that can also be easily adjusted.

At the apex of the triangle is mounted a pair of Francis Barnett motor-cycle front forks, suitably cut down to carry a tiny wheel matching those at the back. A 7 in. brake will be incorporated in this wheel, while a similar expanding brake is bolted to each back wheel. Steering consists of a column set at a slight angle to the vehicle's centre-line, operating an Austin steering box on the car's bulkhead, the drop arm of which moves transversely to swing the forks. A built-up leather-covered spring steering wheel is used.

The engine is a reconditioned 250-c.c. two-port Villiers two-stroke, converted from pressure to petroil lubrication. The plot is to mount it adjacent to and inboard of the near-side back wheel and let it drive an Albion motor-cycle gearbox via a primary chain. This gearbox is carried in a cradle below the engine so placed that the final drive chain is unaffected by the rise and fall of the suspension arm. A jockey sprocket may be used to tension it. Cooling ducts will direct air onto the cylinder from inlets on each side of the body and in the undershield, although to begin with only the near-side body aperture will be so ducted. A grille in the back of the body above the engine will draw off hot air.

Starting will eventually be electric, incorporating a patented belt-drive-cum-clutch from a normal starter, but at present an external hand starter convenient to the driver's right hand and working via a cross-shaft onto the free-wheel mechanism in the gearbox, is being devised. The gear-lever will likewise operate via a cross-shaft and links.

The body is a wide, egg-like, three-abreast affair, coming to a point ahead of the front wheel and with curved sides; rather better looking, we should say, than a Bond. The petroil tank will go beside the engine, leaving luggage space in the wide, deep tail. Lighting of a single headlamp in the nose and side lamps on the scuttle will be by a battery arranged for easy trickle-charging.

Egan has planned his car with weight-saving in mind (the pedals, for instance, are simple fabrications) and expects it to weigh approximately 3 cwt. He will be content with 40 m.p.h. cruising, coupled with reasonable acceleration and a m.p.g. of around 70, and £5 annual tax. Remembering how well the Bond we tested got along on 197 c.c. he should certainly realise this ambition, and the wide rear track should give good stability given correct tensioning of the "suspenders." He expects to spend about £50 on this interesting experiment and believes that such a vehicle could be produced commercially, if that were in mind, which it isn't, for about £250.

It seems curious that more people have not tried their hand at these ears. We also await further commercial examples. Cooper should be able to excel here but seem to have abandoned their sports two-seater and the ambitious 350-c.c. Iota project appears to be shelved, at all events temporarily, because while it goes very well, it, objects to being asked to stop.

I published that in the Bond club magazine, together with a larger(!) picture, and got - almost instant - response in the form of another article, this time from "MotorCycling" magazine of November 11 1952, which gives more detail and pics ... and tells us that, despite the colourist's best efforts with the first pic here, the car was blue!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 05:53:09 PM by DaveMiller »

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: The 1952 Egan Three Wheeler
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 06:43:53 PM »
Excellent Dave
We could do with more of these old reports of cars that have been lost

Chris Thomas

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 07:06:44 PM »
Really nice article Dave.
I need to stop buying!

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »
Brilliant. I've never seen the Motor Cycling report before. Thanks Dave
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 07:32:40 PM »

I Googled  Leacroft Engineering Works, Egham, Surrey and found this:

http://archive.motorsportmagazine.com/article/november-1951/18/rumblings

I wonder if Learcroft  Engineering still exists?     Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 07:33:29 PM »
Great read, thanks. Although the main photo is heavily re-touched the basic styling is quite attractive for a single-front-wheeler.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 08:30:57 PM »
Great stuff ! we need more of this ! For those Bond owners who may have let membership of the Bond Club lapse , for various historic reasons perhaps , let me advise you that under Dave Millers editorship the Bond Info magazine is a jolly good read . Bond owners include many long term active drivers and there is now a lot more content relating to historic matters as well . This month Dave included the top article and that was a big step featuring a non- Bond , but these are thought provoking articles , as obviously home builders took ideas from manufacturers and maybe visa-versa ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »
Laurie Bond started off cars with a home build. Allegedly from bits found 'surplus' at Blackburn's. I often wonder if Dad even met him, as he was involved with the development of the Beverley after extensive testing of a converted Hamilcar powered by twin engines at Harwell. It was the Hersley team, including Dad, that adopted the twin boom tail and other modifications to make the plane structurally more solid, and a more efficient flyer. Development was, as ever, cut short and plans to have seats in the leading edge of the inner main wing were abandoned along with other improvements. None the less the Beverley proved itself in service for a while. My father admitted he was pleased to be out of the project, and with relish moved on to the Supermarine Swift (A series of jet planes that led in several directions of development) based back at Hersley.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs