Author Topic: Folding Car  (Read 2176 times)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Folding Car
« on: August 24, 2014, 07:28:11 AM »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Folding Car
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 09:17:26 AM »
Found that some time ago but it is none the less interesting for that. Another idea that never really caught on but once again the idea of producing cars that could bve got through/passed a row of buildings and round the back. The Inter flirted with this. The Larmar did it, to no great result. So it is a recouring theme taken up by my current toy, the Shopper.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Folding Car
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 08:28:46 AM »
Great film. The car seems to be very softly sprung and/or quite flexible, and looks quite top-heavy too, so I would not expect very good handling, but a fine piece of work. 

When I was developing prototypes of one of my inventions at South London Innovation Centre (sadly long gone now) another client there was working on a folding car and an "automatic" trailer.

The trailer was a good idea.lots of wheels of different sizes  meant that you got the front wheels of the towed car onto the spectacles, then as you drove off in the tow vehicle, the towed car was automatically towed up the trailer and into position. It worked fairly well and was shown on BBC's Tomorrow's World.

The folding car had removable body panels and pivoting pantographic framework. The body panels were diamond-shaped and secured the framework in place when they were fitted. It was an interesting idea but clearly too cranky to get any further. In any impact or even under driving torque, the pop-on panels would likely pop off again and any occupants would come up looking like cartoon characters turned, by a heavy blow, into accordions. he never figured the mechanicals either.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face