Author Topic: Frisky Prince - the ugly duckling ?  (Read 6826 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Frisky Prince - the ugly duckling ?
« on: August 27, 2014, 06:53:52 PM »
Just a thought , the looks of most of the Frisky family are generally admired . Am I right in thinking that the Frisky Princes looks are less admired than the other models , is this merely the less than sympathetic duo tone paint job doesn't follow the lines of the bodywork ? What do they look like in a plain colour - I suspect the car would look much better
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Frisky Prince - the ugly duckling ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 07:50:32 PM »
Personally, I don't think the duo paint job is the problem, it's the shape and placement of the division. But it would be very nice to see some different colour photos of a car to be sure. John Meadows picture of the yellow & white example is the only colour picture that I've ever seen. John mentions three on his site, are their pictures of the other two or any other colour photos?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 07:53:45 PM »
I did think yourself or perhaps Barry had a box of tricks that could do the job on a photo ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:25:43 PM »
I have only ever seen a Yellow and white Prince. That photo was sent to me by Vic Hyde who rescued it from a hedge in East Anglia and exported it to the States  where it still resides. Very few were made its style perhaps is best described as unfortunate (its mom probably loved it!) but they did get the door hinges on the right way round!. Only a three wheeler was made, the promised four wheeler never made it.
more info on http://www.meadowsfrisky.co.uk/page13.htm

John
PS There is a Prince currently in an advanced state of restoration so you may yet get the chance to see one in the flesh, I will let you guess its colour!!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 10:25:13 PM »
theres a white ? one in john marshalls book - sorry cut and paste problems  ;)

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 09:30:40 PM »

Thanks for the info - very interesting.

The Frisky went direct from Wolverhampton  to Mr Bird at Petbow Ltd in 1961 not to Frisky Spares and Services Ltd

Doug Smith was an entrepreneur who had business connections  with Mr Bird, and  owned a boat yard "Island Electrical & Marine Services Ltd" at Queenborough. Later on he purchased a quantity of various Frisky components from Mr Bird and set up Frisky Spares and Services Ltd in that boat yard. It had no manufacturing facilities but would assemble a Frisky for you but preferred to sell it as a kit. (using what ever was available) LT Clarke was a director

The car you illustrate was different from the "Wolverhampton" Prince having the old Mcphearson struts as used on the Mk1 Family three whereas the original Prince was based on the Mk2 Family three and had Dubonnet front suspension

For the record the body was always white but red, Pale blue, sax blue, Farina Grey, Gun Metal and primrose were all available as options at the launch date for the side panels.

So there you are Richard you can let your imagination run wild, have fun,pick a colour

Regards
John
Hopefully John Marshall will correct his Frisky info when he has a re-print.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 09:35:53 PM »
theres a white ? one in john marshalls book

Don't you mean Tony Marshalls book?
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 08:45:13 PM »
Sorry Bob you are of course right the answer got posted on the "Excelsior  Type Siba NOS dynostart" thread addressed to Richard, my fault, as

PS I am sure the John Marshall you mentioned previously is actually our good friend Tony , and I have have already chatted about the few discrepancy's Frisky wise in his excellent book "More MIcrocars"

John

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 10:59:48 PM »
Hello John,

Just a query about my old Family Three, 88 EPT now having a holiday in the Bubblecar Museum. Stuart sent me some photos of it there with a chrome Frisky Sport name on the front. I'm sure you didn't put it on there as I didn't when I owned her. I wonder who did?

Rob.

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 02:57:47 PM »
Hi Rob
I am guilty as charged!!!
I had my Coupe back to re do it (now almost complete) and offered them the F3 to replace it for a while. It was looking a bit sad so I did my best to tidy it up and put my spare FriskySport badge on it to give it a smile. When I re do the F3, its next in line , I shall take off the Sport bit and leave it correct saying just Frisky as it should be.

Regards
John

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 04:13:02 PM »
Like the RUM forum. When you have played with your Frisky long enough, and driven it, you can become a Sport member. I like it, get your T shirt now!
If you have a bodyshell and no chassis try Frisky underpants. They get you noticed!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 07:23:11 AM »
Rather embarrassing the names thing , apologies to all concerned of course I meant Tony Marshall , I also forget the name of a regular visitor to Beaulieu , owning Trojan car and Heinkel scooter , he is now making a super job of restoring A FRISKY PRINCE !! Looking a really good job by the photos and having a 328cc Excelsior engine . He's doing it in white and yellow but i am sorry I still say that's an unpleasing colour scheme for me .
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 02:58:02 PM by richard »

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 08:16:06 AM »
In a few years time you will forget your own name, just like I do sometimes.  ;D

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 08:31:45 AM »
Take your point Rob but in fact I haver never known his name despite chatting every Beaulieu and other micro rallies . Always have been awful with names  :)

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 09:16:31 PM »
His names Melvin and  his dad is Ray, write it in biro on the back of your hand and you'll have it next time you meet
Glad to be of service
John