Author Topic: Heidenau tyres for front of Scootacar  (Read 4193 times)

skootaloon

• Occasional
Heidenau tyres for front of Scootacar
« on: September 07, 2014, 09:34:30 PM »
Hi, I have fitted a Heidenau tyre to the rear of my Scootacar (Bob Purton's tip back along - cheers Bob) has anyone fitted these tyres to the front of their Scootacar? The reason I ask is that Heidenau has deeper walls than the Kendas that are fitted at the moment. My fear is that the Heidenaus may foul the wheel arch. Short of removing the rear and fitting it on the front, I thought I would ask on here first.

I hope someone can help.

Cheers

Simon

skootaloon

• Occasional
Re: Heidenau tyres for front of Scootacar
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 09:03:24 PM »
Hi,
After 33 views and no replies I take it that fellow Scootacar owners haven't tried Heidenau tyres on the front of a Scootacar. Well they don't fit that well as the tyre has deeper walls and snags the rear of the front wheel arch on my car. They may of course fit other Scootacars as we know the body contours do vary from car to car.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Simon

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 09:11:48 PM »
I haven't seen any scootacar users on the forum in the last few days - don't take it personally . Probably most views are worldwide visitors just popping on once
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

skootaloon

• Occasional
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 10:18:39 PM »
Hi Richard,

Good to hear you are around. Are you going to the national next weekend? We are travelling up so hope to see you if you go. No problem with the lack of replies. I was keen to get an answer and possibly an order placed, however the "practical test" scuppered that idea. I have Kenda trailer tyres on the front which seem ok but would prefer something a bit more sturdy like the Heidenau. Shame they don't fit. I wonder what else I could use?

Cheers
Simon

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 06:36:27 AM »
Hi Simon , I didn't reAlise it was you .  Surely you have asked Stephen Boyd he and his two sons do use a couple of cars. See you at Wetherby - race you there  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 07:14:53 AM »
I am sure somebody must have tried this by now. Kenda and such have not the grip of the Hideneau, from the feed back given by Schmitters. In a 197 powered car that might be livable, but you will not get the best from the brakes. Put a 332 in and I would think you want the best tyres you can get. The Germans have had other tyres which are 4.40 by 8 rather than 4.00 by 8. Not sure what to suggest, you can space a wheel or rim out a little but spacing it in is difficult without a deeper rim.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

skootaloon

• Occasional
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 12:13:11 PM »
Hi Al,
Hope you are keeping ok. The Heidenau has deeper walls so snags on the wheelarch unfortunately.

Cheers

Simon

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 02:28:59 PM »
Number 7, the Larch. The wheelarch.

I assume this is on lock at the rear of the tyre.

Is the axle actually in the centre of the wheel arch, or should I not ask such a devastating question. Quite a few Scootacar have had body off treatment. No idea if that is good or bad for alignment but potential exists for the body to be bonded back skew wiff. Either way 'tis a bummer. I have some contraband, new 8 inch Michelin C types, if you want to trade out of the Heidenau. Can fit them on the way up north, as it were. I can use the Heidenau on a Schmitt.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

skootaloon

• Occasional
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 08:51:21 PM »
Hi Al,

The Larch, the     Larch, Monty Python I recall?

The Wheel Larch - well yes the body has been off of the chassis and the front wheels are not in the centre of the wheel arch, they seem too far aft. However, i have seen pictures of other Mk 1 Scootacars with front wheels in roughly the same position.  I want to keep the Heidenau tyre as it is brand new, but please bring the C type along to the national so I can compare sizes. The Heidenau is a little larger on the outside diameter enough to make it snag. I won't be with Scootacar as I have yet to procure a decent trailer to ferry it around.

See you at the National.

The Larch.

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 09:38:59 PM »
Hi Simon,
I am still running Michelin tyres on both my Scootacars but on full lock one tyre rubs on the Mk1 body.  You get a slight crazing noise when turning hard left.  The edge of the lip seems to touch slightly but has never caused me any problems.  Should file down the fibreglass at some point.
I am running Heidenau tyres on my Messerschmitt and I would rate them better that the Michelin C type and cheaper...........

Grant

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 12:30:47 AM »
So is it known what the recommended tyre was for the Scootacar? The old Avon was quite a stout tyre and had a flatter tread, a true car type tyre for little wheels. It was very popular for the Schmitt in the day. It might well suffer the same issues as these tyres mentioned. I am assuming the Kenda did not.

I confess that Scootacar do often look as if the wheel is not central. I am not sure if this is so, or an optical illusion. Certainly an illusion on other cars.

skootaloon

• Occasional
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »
Hi Grant and Al,

With the Heidenau fitted to one of the front wheels, I can only turn the steering a few degrees and it snags at the bottom of the wheelarch where the sill joins. Phil Bowler restored the car and by all accounts (and I fully agree) has been a very good, meticulous job, and if it were a body misplacement during rebuild I would be very surprised. I definitely won't be adjusting the body fit to cater for the Heidenau. The Kendas have plenty of tread so I will stick with them for now
Thanks for all you help.
See you at the National
Cheers
Simon