Author Topic: Dartford crossing  (Read 3743 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Dartford crossing
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:41:52 AM »
This topic is only likely to interest Southerners. I mentioned some month back that three wheeled cars are "getting away with" not paying the crossing tolls at Dartford mainly due to Bob Neal of the reliant owners club bringing the crossing to a standstill after refusing to pay. At the time it was really only motorcycles that were exempt. Today as a dart tag account holder I received information about the removal of the toll booths and change over to number plate recognition system starting in October. I am happy to report that the following vehicles are now officially exempt. Exemptions..............

Mopeds, motorcycles, motor tricycles and quadricycles will also continue to use the crossing for free.

To my knowledge mopeds, motorcycle and disabled vehicles were officially exempt before but now tricycles and quadricycles have appeared on the list. As that would appear to cover all microcars this will make those of us brave enough  quite happy.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Dartford crossing
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 10:59:55 AM »
Good news!

Perhaps it is time to buy some new batteries for my Drum Car!

Warning: slight thread drift:

A few years ago I was in our Transit van heading from a gig in Watford (for a Saracens Rugby match) to an evening gig in Kent and there were massive dark thunder clouds and rain all the way.  Going over Dordfart Bridge there was a fantastic rainbow downstream over the Thames, and from our height the rainbow was about 3/4 of an entire circle, with its ends in the mud of the north and south river banks; it was an incredible sight.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »
If they use number-plate recognition, how will they know it's a three-wheeler?  Both of mine are registered as "historic vehicle". ???

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 11:17:10 AM »
A Goggo Dart would seem appropriate.

Good question Dave?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 01:38:22 PM »
 & what about those full-bodied or wide frontage ones with no front number plate? Though knowing officialdom, they got a camera pointing away from the booth too.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 01:51:53 PM »
When Squeak and I used the Woolwich Ferry in DUF, my old Trojan the skipper immediately sent a man down to tell us that we had made his day. Back in the day he had owned a Heinkel; I am sure that he would have waived the fee for us if there had been one!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 05:52:18 PM »
If they use number-plate recognition, how will they know it's a three-wheeler?  Both of mine are registered as "historic vehicle". ???
Well there was a section in the notes that mentioned having to register a disable vehicle for exemption so maybe we are expected to register our three wheelers and quadricycles. I will try and find out. It would be nice if all historic vehicle were exempt but that I think would be wishful thinking.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 06:34:15 PM »
Am I being thick? So soon if I drive over/under the Dartford crossing they note my numberplate and post me a bill (with a threatening letter of dire consequences for being on holiday a few weeks or what ever, presumably). This is a better system than collecting money on the day? How much do the Belgians etc pay in this scenario? How do we charge all the dodgy cars not registered, nicked or from a county East of Middlesex, fnar, fnar.

The Severn crossing charges to go into Wales, but its free to come out. Seems to work OK as its a long deviation to go up to Gloucester and the next bridge. Would that many folk opt to go into town to cross and back out again?

I think the DVLA has a record of wheelplan despite the tax class changing to Historic. They certainly make a big fuss over a change in wheelplan. More than if you rebuild you car with a new chassis, as it suggests an engineering problem deviating from an accepted design. You need to be ready with your proofs to avoid an expensive trip to the clipboards. So I assume the ability to catch these actions means they can tell what size the Historic vehicle is and charge it as Car, Van, Lorry or Locomotive automatically.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs