Author Topic: Windscreen washers.  (Read 4821 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Windscreen washers.
« on: April 11, 2015, 05:42:11 PM »
So, do all vehicle with a windscreen have to have washers, even MOT exempt ones?  Just wondered before I drill a hole in my shiny new paintwork!

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
Re: Windscreen washers.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 06:11:15 PM »
As I understand it, all vehicles that require you to look through the windscreen must have a screenwasher.  If you can look over the screen, fold it down, or open it up so you can see through the gap, then it's OK without. 
I suppose the MoT exempt status means you're not likely to have anyone check, but it wouldn't be good, if you had an accident, say, to have your car not according with the construction and use laws.

The person who restored my Mk A Bond was very keen on it looking original, and made his own 'washer jet' from a miniature matt-black tube, coming through the lower screen rubber and bent to point at the glass. It's absolutely TINY, but passed the MoT each time, when it was required.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 06:26:46 PM »
That's how I understand it too. Its just a shame there isn't something I could attach it to so as not to drill a hole like the headlight bezel screw hole on a Schmitt. Mind you I think the headlights are too far away on this car plus they have no bezel hole in the top to utilize. Better get the drill out then.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 08:29:22 PM »
Before my brother and I got our Velorex on the road I trailered it to an MOT place and went through the book as to what would be required for it get a pass. A steering rack limiter was one requirement and a screen washer was another, for ixed windscreen. It does not matter what form it takes.... clockwork, electric, foot pump all ok. I rigged up a squeeze trigger bottle which had held floor or kitchen cleaner. I attached a 1 meter length of thin plastic tube and that was fastened with thin wire to a bodywork toggle near the windscreen, the ther end was just pushed into the plastic bottle's nozzle. It worked fine, tester passed it.

If you can find a route for a long thin plastic tube which does not need drilling you might be alright!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 08:40:28 PM »
I know what your saying Marcus, it would avoid the hole drilling but for to be legal it has to be there permanently and sometimes these lash ups ruin the vintage look more than the fitting of a chrome washer jet would. I guess I will just go for it.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 08:43:04 PM »
Yes, sounds like you have to bite the bullet, it's one of the few bits of retrospective legislation.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 10:15:57 PM »
I'd have a close look at how the washer is fitted on Dave's Mark A Bob. It is there, but it's about as well camouflaged as you could possibly make it. It might just provide the inspiration someone with your engineering skills needs to come up with an elegant solution before you start drilling holes.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 10:47:12 PM »
Since you ask ...

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 11:33:18 PM »
Thanks Dave , that is certainly discreet. My screen rubber is very different though. Food for thought never the less. Thanks again.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 12:44:58 AM »
Looks great to me on Bonds Dave thanks  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 07:38:16 AM »
An extra bonnet decoration could be utilised, be it a mascot or go faster trim. Since the only requirement is that the screen be wet a more pressurised system working from the side of the screen can be made. This does tend to rely on the car moving forward with a curved screen.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Michael

• Chatty
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 09:52:22 AM »
I was thinking of this on,y next project, although my last project was designed and built o how I wanted it before the final painting.

Having worked for Peugeot for over 8 years (now with Ford) they had a couple of their models that had the washer jet fitted to the wiper arm, the pipe came out of the bodywork under the arm and ran along the arm to the jet.

Well here are two pictures off the internet. The jet is available online.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 10:01:06 AM by Michael »
Locost self build car.
3 Mk1 Raleigh Choppers, 2 Mk2 Raleigh Choppers
Mk2 Raleigh Chopper Tandem
Sinclair C5 Restored
Austin J40 Pedal Car to restore
Peel Trident Replica to build