Author Topic: pre 1960 MOT exemption  (Read 22881 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: pre 1960 MOT exemption
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 12:13:31 AM »
Hi, plas man

I don't see any red cross - and I don't think there's such a system here, is there?

We're not all familiar with the details of different cars, and do sometimes ask each other to give further info, so I think that was all Bob was doing.  He had a memory of the Mk D brakes not being hydraulic, and you confirmed for him that yours were an upgrade. A sensible one, it seems to me!

Well it was more than a memory, I am very familiar with the MkD brakes and know they are not hydraulic. I remember how inefficient they were on my old MkD and a hydraulic conversion would be a tremendous improvement especially when the car is used as much as this one. Not a criticism at all, just wanted clarification.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 12:46:15 AM »
A bolt on retro fit, I think. So the real bits can be replaced. These mods are the way to do it, even better if its 'in the family' as it were.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 03:51:50 PM »
tell us more plas man - and by the way what IS your name  :)

might change it to "Pr+t Man" ,
sorry , I thought you guys where Bonders , I recognised some names from club mag - but this may be coincidence , the Mk D in question is unique by having hydraulic brakes fitted , as it is used a lot over the local North York's moors  and there are some steep inclines and the car  to stop's  if needed , most parts are standard Mk G - but if you are doing so remember to change the bulkhead casting as the Mk's C to F are lighter cast .
Should any owner have any questions regarding Bond , please ask I may be able to help .

"Plas Man"
BOC Mem No 181

Thanks Alan.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 08:03:45 PM »
but alan who ? ah maybe it's an anagram - alan maps or alan spal ?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 08:09:16 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 08:20:53 PM »
A bolt on retro fit, I think. So the real bits can be replaced. These mods are the way to do it, even better if its 'in the family' as it were.

yes Big Al all genuine Bond/Villiers parts , also the original parts have been kept just in case they are needed - but hopefully not , as its been OK since the late 1980's .
I'd post a picky but its abit of a 'round' the houses job , with out involving photo sites like Flickr ....

Good night from sunny Redcar

south of the Tees,
come enjoy the breeze,
hard top on -soft top off'
Bishops Bond has got the lot !

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 10:27:45 PM »
Ah, Redcar. Subject of the 1974/75 O&C board GCE O level Geography practical paper. I fear Geography probably is not tested as a practical entity anymore! But good old Redcar did me proud.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2014, 12:32:28 PM »
Just an update on this MOT exemption issue.
I finally got a letter back from the DVLA this morning and to my surprise my Isetta has been reclassified as pre 1960 so will now be MOT exempt. I was expecting all kinds of hassle but to their credit, they accepted the info from Dave Watson and the scans of the glasses check book.
This hopefully will make it easier for the next person as according to Dave I am the first to apply to get the manufacture date changed.

If I can be of any help to anyone with this issue drop me a line.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2014, 05:43:17 PM »
That's good news. The forty odd quid you saved will offset the cost of the new windscreen rubber!
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

messyman

• messerschmitt kr200, frisky, isetta 300
  • Quite Chatty
  • messyman motors
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2014, 09:41:39 PM »
excellent news
messyman restorator of rust relics vw or bubblecars
www.vw-specials.forumotion.com
Messerschmitt kr200 x2 ,frisky family 3 mk1 shell,isetta 300 lhd chassis, vw polo,vw caddy mk1 , t4 , mini , my dad has 2x Messerschmitt kr175

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2015, 02:23:48 PM »
Just renewed the tax on My Isetta, after the DVLA agreeing to reclassify it as 1959 and not 1960 making it MOT exempt I was expecting all kinds of agro as the newly issued V5 says nothing of its date of manufacture or its class. However using the V11 renewal form online the class came up as historic vehicle and no MOT was required to renew the tax.  Wonders will never cease!!

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2015, 03:21:43 PM »
thanks for sharing , I'll be joining the 'mot free club' soon , question was it its first tax since re-build with no MOT required - no matter how long the vehicle has been off the road ?
also any advice on a insurance company ?

thanks Alan

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2015, 01:42:59 AM »
I missed your thread for some reasons. Great news, you made it by just over 250 vehicles. I am about 4000 out, never mind. I have looked into Glass's Guide and will continue the search.
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2015, 08:44:12 AM »
I agree the move to the square shape body shells takes a bit of getting used too. I am sure back in the day the better accommodation was seen as a great improvement, then bigger engine, hype, trumpet. But the early Bond has that simplistic minimalist style that marks out a true microcar. There are no great surprises, as it is simplicity, unless the great surprise is how well it works. Few will argue there are many better cars out there, but that is to miss the point. These cars were more accessible to those on limited budgets. They fit their time like the comfortable slipper they look like. With the Bond they made it work, did not fall by the wayside, and the rest is history. I do not care to own one now, but an early Bond is a stand out classic in my opinion. If I had a collection of 50 of the most interesting vehicles to show off, it would be there ahead of many more elitist and expensive microcars.