Author Topic: The boys need your help....  (Read 4242 times)

AC-Boy

• Pit-Stop (Youth Workshop) AC-Boy
  • Just Starting
  • Pit-Stop (Youth Workshop)
The boys need your help....
« on: September 23, 2014, 05:31:11 AM »
Our youth group, Pit-Stop (lads 13 to 21yrs old) have just bought a old blue AC 1970 Invalid car. A picture of it is on our profile picture for this forum.
We are missing the rear lights on it and wonder if anyone knows where to get some or if we could use anything else etc.
The one other thing it's missing is its windscreen motor and arm. Any ideas what type this might be?
We are stripping the old blue paint off it, but wonder what the paint code might be for re-painting it again in blue.
Can anyone help us Please. Thank you from Lee ( team leader) and our workshop boys.
Pit-Stop (Youth Workshop) Units 7-8 De La Warr Mews, Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex TN40-1RD.
01424-532180 / 07958666757

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: The boys need your help....
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 08:09:17 AM »
Welcome AC-Boy, you have come to the right place and I am sure that Stuart will be along soon!

By "windscreen motor and arm" as I read I I wondered if the screen had a motor to open it!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 08:46:11 AM »
Root is currently mute, again. They have clockwork telephones in the Cotswolds, allegedly.

The rear lights just might have been Reliant. Most survivors had them pulled off by the Ministry and replaced with a now obsolete unit used on various kit cars and trailers. So if you have a couple of sets of mounting holes, that is not uncommon, even a shaddow of one light supperimposed under another. If you want the genuine lights, its autojumble time. However the light was redesigned and appears as a trailer light with a number plate port in what would be the bottom on a Type 70. Not many would notice the difference if the number plate port was blanked out. My car is not here to quote the specifics.

The wipers are effectively as period BMC/BL

Several paint colours but laterly settled on one, applied inaccurately and to a poor standard of finish!

Mr Cyphus will probably have numbers etc. Barry, of this forum, might have the parts.

Be aware that the steel window frames on the doors rot at the base, front and back. They are not available. An early repair, if needed, will avoid a more difficult one later.
Many Type 70 have the friction material bonding fail, or seized drive pick up. Totally fixable but rather a job. If it refuses to 'drive' then that will be suspect. Pays to get some lub in early, in case spanners have to follow.
Root can copy a manual and notes, ex ministry.
I find most Type 70 have the timing set wrong. I think this is deliberate miss-tuning, as if set right the go like the clappers, 70 mph in the fast one (might be on larger cylinders. Styer Puch used up odd parts left over on the contract so not all engines are the same.....!)
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 09:56:08 AM »
Wow wo wo!  Welcome AC Boy but we have a dedicated section for invalid carriages. This is posted in Microcar discussion. Please check out the general categories.   Thanks.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 11:18:25 AM »
I never noticed. Ta.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs