Author Topic: Prefocus LED headlight conversion  (Read 9399 times)

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
Re: Prefocus LED headlight conversion
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 09:50:50 AM »
This sort of thing interests me. EFI enhances driveability and economy.

Mapped ignition (also part of the megasquirt) tends to give the biggest improvement, but 85% of the sensors needed for that are also used for fuelling, just add on a lambda and you can fuel inject too.

It's all pretty much bolt on, apart from the lambda sensor which requires a bung welding in the exhaust manifold.

The hardest part was find the spare watts! I think I have cracked that one now.

Also efi and mapped ignition makes the addition of a supercharger far more practical...... ;D
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 10:01:29 PM »
Regarding the BPF halogen lamps that Dave Miller mentioned in another thread. I would be interested to see the filament layout on those if anyone has a picture of one. Do they have the same layout as the normal tungsten filament lamps, or use a shielded filament for the dipped beam?
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 10:27:08 AM »
Hi Andy
(I did get your message, but it's only just now that I've had time to get to the garage and dig out the spare bulb to photograph it.)

I fitted these 35/35 W halogen bulbs about a year ago, but it was only during the Dutch Rally this summer that I first used them in anger. After the evening meal, some miles from camp, I needed to head back to base across empty, unlit countryside - and the main beam effect was absolutely excellent.

However ... the dipped beams had a sharp cut-off and the lit area was very close to the car. Upon reflection, I realise that (living in an area with unlit, but winding and busy country roads) I'm more likely to need proper dipped beams.  I'm therefore likely, in the end, to change back to ordinary tungsten incandescents, probably of 40/50 W (and perhaps with the control box limited to 8 A, as I understand Sibas can get upset at prolonged overload).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:34:42 AM by DaveMiller »

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 11:09:33 AM »
Ah okay. Wasn't sure if you got my PM.

Thanks for the reply.

So that is interesting, and not surprising the dipped beam is close to the car, as the dipped filament is very far forward of the focus point. Presumably they do things this way to avoid dazzle.

The filaments on the old BPF lamps I dissected are about 21mm-21.5mm from the base/location plate.

Well there is the LED route. I have figured out a simple way of attaching the units to the back of the reflector now, so just need to make the adaptors for the LED plate to bolt onto the heatsink. All the work to date has been achieved using simple hand tools, so you don't require anything exotic to do this conversion. Cost for the LED's and sundries is about £30 per pair, more expensive than lamps, but they should last a lifetime.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:35:53 AM by AndyL »
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.