Author Topic: Blue Star Garages  (Read 13565 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Blue Star Garages
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 11:00:30 PM »
We do sometimes stray Bob , you as well , I was trying to find out further micro connections other than Powerdrive and Coronet . Unfortunately the court case had nothing juicy about those cars so that was a dead end . Don't blame me for trying , the forum has been VERY quiet and I was hoping for information ah remind me who was it now who first posted a pic of a Blue Star Garage on this topic whilst we were actually looking for microcar links - surely not you Bob ? ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:06:35 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 12:47:39 AM »
I couldn't find any further connection with microcars either. Despite it's size, the company was pretty much a one-man empire run by a guy called Maurice Deen. He was described as being in his sixties in 1965, so I guess it probably disintegrated after he retired. The petrol stations were sold off to Stations Supreme Ltd which was a wholly owned part of Texaco, but part of the Blue Star name still lives on if you have come across the Allstar fuel card. This began as the All Star petrol card and was Texaco's direct replacement for the Blue Star fuel card.

http://www.allstarcard.co.uk/about-us/
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 05:48:02 PM »
thanks for that Malcolm a good rounding off to the topic . right we better move off before Bob shuts us down  :D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 06:05:39 PM »
I also tried but came up with nought. I did find something about an cycle motor maker that switched attention to building microcars and there was a connection with Blue star. If I can find it again I will email you.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »
thanks Bob but if it's not a micro connection not my thing either - the final final word on Coronet's and Blue Star Garages . An interesting website with mentions of the Excelsior engine and views of production amongst other things :

http://www.thecoronet.com/road_test.htm
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:20:50 PM by richard »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 06:22:39 PM »
Well just found it again and it is a microcar thing. Keep scanning down until you see the David Gotlieb designed cars.

http://www.icenicam.ukfsn.org/articles3/art0059.html

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 12:32:46 PM »
I have been looking at the history of Fairthorpe. It turns out that there is a cobweb of links between Microcar companies behind all this.

Fairthorpe Ltd was created to build vehicles in June 1952 by Don Bennett, but had to start life as a jobbing engineer assembly company. It had a co company doing Areo engineering called Dart Aircraft Litd sharing the site. In early 1952 Don Bennett had bought the Russon car production company. Connection 1

In October of 1955 Fairthorpe gained a new factory Manager. He was John Green, who had been a manager for Blur Star Garages. The same outfit of this thread, who marketed the Powerdrive from November 1955. The 350cc version of the Atom had failed to sell one unit. So a version was made with a British Anzani engine in it. This car was spoken of as the best Atom by the workers and was used as a firm runabout. However I do not know if the Atom 322 was marketed, certainly there is no evidence of sales. You cannot help wondering if this Connection 2 was more than an idle link. I think not. Maybe the history of Powerdrive mentions John Green in passing.

Clearly connection 3 is the link between the Powerdrive and the Allard Clipper. Connection 4 is the Coronet.  I am sure there are plenty more.

From the Fairthorpe point of view there are now three Atomata known. One is a 650 BSA A10 Gold Flash original, Another is a Atomata Major with a Standard 8 engine, (it was at the nec last year) so not a microcar, the last is probably an Atomata 650 that has been converted to Subaru underpinnings in America. So a half point there. No Atom survivor is known of as far as I can make out. Tony Marshall often stated he wanted to find one, but failed. The thing seems to have been a bit of a disaster, as Don refused to listen to his then Manager and engineer, Ken Lowe, who left allegedly frustrated. He it was that invented and made a good living by marketing the Kenlowe Fan. So if an Atom has survived it will be a rare thing indeed.

To see Atoms watch the first few minutes of the 1955 Rank film 'Checkpoint' where some take the roll of being Valta cars in production behind a shot out. Cheesy film but great sports cars throughout, and James Robertson Justice shouting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ncweROe9U&t=383s

Interesting 'innit?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

kartman

• Just Starting
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »
Hi all, I have been directed to this website by a fellow Fairthorpe Sports Car Club member, unfortunately none of the original Atom`s appear to have survived but I live in hope that one may be tucked away awaiting to be rediscovered. The Atom Majors were Standard 10 powered and the Atomotas were Gold Flash 650 powered. There are actually two Atom Major survivors ( both Standard 10 engines), one Atomota in the USA which has had the body modified and grafted onto a Subaru floorpan complete with Subaru engine and the remains of another in the UK which is missing the bodyshell and engine.
More info and pictures of Atoms and Atomotas can be found on the Fairthorpe blog at www.fairthorpe.blogspot.co.uk
...........Martin

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 06:42:17 PM »
Atom Major as displayed at the NEC last year.  A personal highlight of the 3 day show to see this car.  What a find.

Albion

• Just Starting
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 09:00:55 AM »
Blue Star Garages started by my father Maurice Deen in early 1930's we had 275 garages nationwide , plus battery factories Coronet Cars at one moment and many other companies . My dad dies in 1971 and to satisfy his ' young ' wife the company was sold half to Texaco and the rest otherwise all against my wishes . I bought 3 sites for redevelopment . Today even a reduced chain would be worth over £400 million but thats life ! John DEEN