Author Topic: Villiers 9e start up  (Read 11612 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Villiers 9e start up
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 09:44:36 AM »
Thats what I thought too.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 10:18:44 AM »
Well first your making the assumption that the carb is actually adjusted correctly (it probably is in your case, as your driving it). You would be amazed how many owners of Treinkel never look into their carbs to see if the adjustment of the cable and compensator is correct, and they have full throttle movement. It is rather satisfying to adjust the throttle slide so it actually opens the last third, and watch them be stunned at the sudden additional performance for about two minutes fiddling. Of course then you have to tune old carby in again, but that's another story.
So I bet there are cars that have nigh on closed, or open, carbs for tickover running the wrong mix. Given that is the case advice can be incorrect as is the car overall weak or rich? Can be both, if its well out, at differing openings. The thing is not idiot proof.

I thought the cut out in the front of some slides was to proportionally increase the air flow for small movements near tick over. In other words the volume of air remains low but the majority of the air passes directly over the needle aperture drawing out more fuel then the equivalent none cut out airflow where much of the air does not pass over the needle aperture. Thus in such a position the ratio of fuel is a little richer than when a full throttle, if all other things are stable. The needle is, of course, shaped as a taper. That taper controls the mix when the needle is withdrawn compensating for the lack of control from the front of the slide. So the one takes over from the other, meaning the ratio can be the same, if desired, in fully open positions. In practice it probably is not. Go further and in SU carbs tuning should always refer back to which needle to use in the carb to match the rest of the engines performance. A standard needle wit5h a high lift cam, for instance, is a waste of time. You need a needle to match the changed spec.

Certainly on these strokers, Sachs and Goggo, I am in the habit of giving them a tweak of choke down hill if not under power. Saab, Trabbi and such do not need this as they have freewheel to protect them. On both those smaller cars the choke is little more than a tickler. Tickling and choke are actually performing slightly differing functions. Your hand can mimic a choke, so starting cars as if by magic, but it cannot mimic a tickler.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 11:14:13 AM »
You speak for your own Al  ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:37:22 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 10:47:45 AM »
He whom laughs off intelligent insights learned through a career of hard earned experience only makes mockery of himself.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 10:58:32 AM »
Apologies for any misunderstanding here . My comment was intended to refer to al's last two lines alone
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 12:04:44 PM »
Steven, you will have to forgive Richard, I think its one of his attempts at a cheap smutty joke, he is from up north you know, pigeons, whippets and working mans clubs. They cant help themselves! ;D

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »
Well I am sure Al , " to whom " the comment was addressed was not so easily upset . "To whom " my aren't those colonials quaint  :)

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »
whoops this thread is starting to 4 stroke  ;)

Aan

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 03:53:11 PM »
All meant in fun!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 04:40:29 PM »
just a minute , sorry for any deviation , repetition or hesitation - Samantha !

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 05:29:35 PM »
Its the 'Ooo Matron' British humour, I fear. The benefit of not reading back what is written, or didn't I? As a double negative what's that mean? - All I know is that I do not know all this carby stuff as fact, but believe it to be so, unless someone puts me straight.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2014, 03:49:09 PM »
Moving away from the Carry on film script, I had a chance to play with the villiers carb settings this afternoon to try and solve the plug fouling problem I was having at start up.
I found that with the mixture screw turned out another half turn and the needle lowered a couple of millimeters the problem appears to have gone away. Of course I cant really do a final set up until the car is out and in use. If you have seen the width of my sideway you will know that's easier said than done!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 05:46:07 PM »
Indeed. Getting it running and then circuit and bumps to home in on the sweet spot. Just about to do this myself with the Schmitt.