Author Topic: Villiers 9e start up  (Read 11572 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Villiers 9e start up
« on: October 21, 2014, 06:23:35 PM »
Can anyone offer my some advice please about the best way to start up my 9e.
In the past when I wanted to start up a Villiers motor in a Bond  I would open the bonnet and tickle the float chamber. In my current car the carb is not so accessible and it has the butterfly type choke. I am finding that if I pull the choke out it tends to flood very easily.
Any advice please on the best starting technique?

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: Villiers 9e start up
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 07:02:48 AM »
How about trying disconnecting the choke cable from the butterfly choke, and rigging it up to activate the tickler?

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 08:23:50 AM »
I know this may sound obvious but have you got the slider and needle in the carb in the right way round. If I remember rightly the chamfer should face the piston. If it is the other way around it will be very difficult to start.

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »
In what way is it flooding? Is it getting the plug wet with over rich charge, or is it a case of the thing filling the case with fuel so once turned it has to contend with dollops of poorly mixed charge? I would suspect the later to be not possible with the butterfly choke. If it is happening then there will be a reason on the carb.

No expert on the Villiers. Put the needle into the weakest position? Choke will have less charge to work with. Once the character of the engine is determined the needle can be tuned in.

If you can reach the inlet use your hand instead of the butterfly to start. If that works, and the butterfly does not, there is an issue.

Get it running on ether. Gets the fuel round the engine, sealing up and beds in the seals, rings etc. Might behave thereafter.   
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »
Well actually Al, you raise something I had not thought of, I have an electric on/off valve on this car which is something I have never used before. I will have to check that this isn't slowly allowing fuel to bleed through and fill up the chamber. I don't think it is but worth checking.
Its flooding in the sense that when I try to start it from cold with choke out it will fire a  few times then not at all until I dry off the plug and start again.  Once started it will fire up instantly on the key all day.
The needle doesn't have notches but rather a screw that raises or lowers the needle so the choice of positions are infinite. I set it according to the book which is 1.95" if I remember correctly.
I think you are probably correct when you say once its out and in use it will settle down  Starting it up all the time in the workshop for a few minutes to impress my friends is doing it no favours.
It may only like the choke out a fraction like Thumper does. 
I just asked in case someone could advise from experience with this kind of choke.

Chris, What are we going to do with you?  The slide will only go in one way and chamfers always face towards the air filter. Thanks for trying though.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 04:16:22 PM »
try not touching the choke but foot hard down on accelerator - wind Siba up - you may be lucky.

the butterfly choke , the screw that holds butterfly make sure its tight  (centre pop the thread that pokes out) it can come out - and get sucked in and cost you a re-bore & piston.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 05:54:32 PM »
try not touching the choke but foot hard down on accelerator - wind Siba up - you may be lucky.

the butterfly choke , the screw that holds butterfly make sure its tight  (centre pop the thread that pokes out) it can come out - and get sucked in and cost you a re-bore & piston.

Thanks Alan. I haven't heard that before about the screw coming loose. Well worth knowing!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »
It does sound like a weeping fuel tap, a bit. Sounds like a bit of fine checking will iron it out. Nasty issue with the screw, best known about and neutered before a prob. Though it is amazing how these engines can pass stuff without damage, sods law is ever present.   
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 06:37:34 PM »
I am sure it will fit both ways as I drove my Francis Barnet around for a year like it having to bump start it every time I went out. I eventually sold it to a friend who after an investigation, turned it around and it would start first kick every time

It does go to show that I am not as technical as you guys.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 06:47:53 PM »
Sorry Chris but no. the cable enters the slide chamber cap, not in the centre but on one side and the cap has a locating tab that drops into the carb body. There is also a slot in the slide so that it cant be put in the wrong way..
I hazard a guess that your Fanny B would have had a different carb model.
Its time to get your hands dirty Chris!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 07:14:28 PM »
dont let him free on yours Bob  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 09:03:45 AM »
Don't worry, I wont but he more than makes up for it as excellent magazine editor.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 04:19:30 PM »

Thanks Alan. I haven't heard that before about the screw coming loose. Well worth knowing!

if it happens to a Bond/Villiers its happened to me - the MkD is full of mod's - the throttle slide only goes in one way , notch on top of carb body , screw on side of carb for grove in slide , needle length 1.95 , mixture screw start at 1 and half turns out . (try not to use ammal carb for road use , no cutaway for tick over - you have to use cable adjuster - hence no pet/roil lube on down hill over run )

Alan 

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 08:07:56 AM »
( Amal carb, no cutaway for tick over - hence no pet/roil lube on down hill over run

Steven M, here is that lack of lub point coming up again. Though I had not taken on board the Amal was so ill equipped as this.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 08:43:33 AM »
I'm intrigued: one of my carbs has the screw to limit how low the throttle slide goes at tick-over, and another carb, of otherwise the same model, doesn't.

To set tickover, the second one needs careful setting of the throttle cable, which isn't so precise. But, either way, the throttle slide remains just above the bottom, at the same height. How does this affect lubrication?  Surely it's the same in both cases, limited to the small amount of oil in the "tickover" rate of fuel flow. No?