Author Topic: Invacar Wanted, Found and Being Restored  (Read 21558 times)

plas man

• Quite Chatty
Re: Invacar Wanted
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 03:44:10 PM »
with the sander attachment on the drill and wet & dry paper , 'loosely' dipped into the pan of water it works fine , however I don't know if the same would work with the hand sander - as nowadays they seem to have done away with the green wire !

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 04:00:16 PM »
The paint sounds pretty much the normal quality of the Ministry. You are already at risk of over restoring the car! Sad but true. So a few tidy ones would go some way to improving the standing of the machines in terms of quality. Sounds like you had a pretty good deal after a bit of a wait from what Root told me.
My tip would to be check the timing by measuring the TDC and thus BTDC. Every one I have had so far has been timed incorrectly and you cannot trust the pulley mark. That done and a tune up on the carb and they will tick over really slowly allowing gear selection and you can see startlingly nippy performance not many microcars can offer!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 04:46:20 PM »
Looks like a nice car.  Be good to see how you get on.  Assume it is registered as a Trike already?

Due to a recent change in circumstances, I will be selling all of my Invacar stock and many mopeds and micros that I won't ever get around to improving.
Let me know if there is anything in particular that you need.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 08:05:45 AM »
Ooo eck, Barry! Nothing nasty I hope. Got a fair spread of stuff tucked away there.

With referance to IC spares, I will back Stuart if he feels the stock needs saved for the future, as before. I do not think he ever got a provisional stock listing to understand what was there.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 10:58:08 AM »
Just a small clot on the lung Al.  Looks like I will be OK on anticoagulants while we find out (perhaps) what went wrong.
Makes you think about what you are doing with lots of 'junk' which may be of good use to someone else.
I intend to just keep the things I really like and have a chance of using easily without vast amounts of time being spent.

The stock list of Invacar parts is one of those things on the back burner due to time.
I have spent much of this year driving from one University to another for my Triplet boys (18) whilst they decide on where to go.
The driving may not have helped my condition.

So, a big clear-out is in order.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 08:28:53 PM »
A worry, but such things can be a one off condition. I am all to aware of realising having to many projects. Its quite cathartic to sell, finding time to concentrate on the few you really want and value, for what ever reason.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 10:27:07 PM »
I wish you well Barry , take comfort in that the clot is in very good company around here
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 07:09:59 AM »
I wish you well Barry , take comfort in that the clot is in very good company around here

:) :) :)

Fraz13

• Occasional
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 11:39:58 AM »
Firstly Barry, my best wishes mate, hope your sorted out soon ;) As for the wee car, I don't think I'm in need for anything just yet but ill remember your offer for future reference

Thanks for the kind words. I will no doubts do more to it than need be, Ill probably spend too much as well but as you said Al, I got a good deal so should be ok as long as I don't go over the top. Just paint and a general tidy inside will do me. I want to keep if for a while so not overly worried. As for the timing, It seems to idle smooth and very low at the moment and no gear crunching. The chap I got it from did clutch shoes and other bits and bobs.

One window frame has rotted at the bottom so ill need to get that off and remade/fabricated. Windows were easy to come out due to this so kind of worried about them going back in as I really don't know the correct way to remove and fit them, any help with this would be great.

It was still registered as Disabled but I stuck Tricycle on the changes part of the log book before sending it off so hopefully that'll be ok.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 12:34:02 PM »
Many thanks and good luck with it Frazer.  Let me know if you need any photos for reference.  Is yours AC or Invacar?  Looks like normal handle bars.

Fraz13

• Occasional
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 07:15:04 PM »
Thanks Barry, it's an AC, it's complete I think apart from wheel trims but I have a pair of 10" minilights so should be fine, however I have taken a fair bit apart so hope I can get it all back together again haha again the Windows will be the hardest part as but at least I have the other side for reference.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 08:20:56 AM »
The window rail is a common prob. Fortunately the whole thing will remove by screws / bolts. But the worse your rail, the more obstinate the fastners will be to undo. The system looks borrowed from BMC Mini and such. The door is pretty simple to remove if you need to get it upside down in a vice.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 03:46:53 PM »
watching the telly other night . two yanks buy this Nippy moped thingy ( after a LOT of haggling ) and in the back of the garage was a IC .
If it was for sale the location would have to be sourced . as this guy seemed to have a collection of all things unusual !!!

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2015, 06:05:13 PM »
Sounds like it might be the Tippen Delta on American Pickers that came up last year? http://www.rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=4716.0
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Fraz13

• Occasional
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2015, 02:31:01 PM »
Quite amazing how much damage has been done to this wee car over the years, shame the bodyshops didn't repair very well and looks like they gave the car a full paint each time it was in lol