Author Topic: Larmar leaves  (Read 12381 times)

plas man

• Quite Chatty
Re: Larmar leaves
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 03:55:12 PM »
The starter looked like a standard Lucas unit with a bendix on. The Mk C Bond offered a similar arrangement as an option extra to chopping your front structural bulkhead in half. Bonders, being practical folk, fitted a kick start and saved the cash for more Woodbines in most cases.

did you know its an illegal move to kick start a Bond ( cranking a vehicle ) - thus leaving the driving seat unattended with the engine running .

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 05:10:45 PM »
Alan, whilst I respect your views on nondisclosure of a car's new owner when it is sold,  if that car had already been put on our Register by some previous owner, it is the duty of the current owner to declare that he no longer owns that particular car. I agree that it is entirely up to the new owner to declare his ownership to the Register.  I do think it is a pity that some folk are so secretive and I am sure they would not be if they were true enthusiasts.  The Register has, after being in existence some 30 years, acquired a wealth of history and pictures of many cars which a true enthusiast I am sure would want to know about.  Should any of you make a new acquisition why not Register it with Alastair with as much detail as possible and you may well be surprised to learn the vehicle is already known to us and we have history that will be of news to you,whats more should this prove to be the case you do not have pay to put it on the Register.  In this way many gaps can be filled in, cars we had thought to have been destroyed may come to light and you could fill in the gaps in your knowledge.  Alastair will always respect your wishes should you prefer to remain an unknown owner,  details that we have on the Register are never released without the permission of the current owner. However, I feel even if a car is owned for its value alone which I feel many are these days, any added provenance can only add to that value.  Maybe this could be a new topic for discussion as the way forward for the Register of Unusual Microcars needs to be decided to meet the need of the next generation of owners .  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 05:24:11 PM »
The starter looked like a standard Lucas unit with a bendix on. The Mk C Bond offered a similar arrangement as an option extra to chopping your front structural bulkhead in half. Bonders, being practical folk, fitted a kick start and saved the cash for more Woodbines in most cases.

did you know its an illegal move to kick start a Bond ( cranking a vehicle ) - thus leaving the driving seat unattended with the engine running .

No, I did not. But thinking about it it would make sense. That will be why they were not fitted from standard, despite nearly always appearing afterwards.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 06:00:29 PM »
Er ... The kickstart was always fitted as standard. 'Twas the (more legal?) electric start, operated from the driver's seat, that was originally optional.

I suppose the point about not being in control of the vehicle is true, but a prosecution is unlikely. The same can be said of a starting handle on a Morris Minor, and so on.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 08:47:38 PM »
Jean , whilst I think I understand your sentiments I for one do not feel any DUTY to do anything whatsoever !
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 09:24:58 PM »
Yes, that jumped out of the page at me too. Probably the wrong choice of word.
Lets just say that it would be in the interests of the register and its uses to.........

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 09:36:28 AM »
Er ... The kickstart was always fitted as standard. 'Twas the (more legal?) electric start, operated from the driver's seat, that was originally optional.

I suppose the point about not being in control of the vehicle is true, but a prosecution is unlikely. The same can be said of a starting handle on a Morris Minor, and so on.

My A, B, and C all had hand starters by cable through the bulkhead. Not all of them had a kick starter fitted, including the one from MacIntires (spelling?) that was left after the Club representatives cleared the premises out. Likewise the Menzies car. Some of these were out of very long storage, so pretty original.  I always accepted that the cars were supplied with hand start or electric start, therefore. Happy to be wrong, as I am no expert on Bonds.

One wonders if kicking a Bond over, bonnet open, leg in engine bay, after its stalled on some girt roundabout would even compute with modern policing. Probably be nicked for ABH or something daft, as the camera would be 'evidence'. Police tried kicking Dave off the Motorway not so long ago convinced a Trojan was not legal on there. Big argument. No not an IC, No its 200cc. No 200cc is legal as what cc was that bike that went passed? etc etc.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 09:53:44 AM »
Yes, that jumped out of the page at me too. Probably the wrong choice of word.
Lets just say that it would be in the interests of the register and its uses to.........

I think this was a 'duty of care' type duty, rather than a fight for your country type duty. I understand the point anyway.
My take was if I signed off such a car, its vanished. If I do not, then a query comes back to me. I know where the car went. its situation might have changed, and an approach might be possible. So in effect its a live dead entry, rather than a dead dead entry.
Interestingly on several occasions when cars were moved on, and an attempt was made to follow it up, it resulted in a denial of ownership from one or other of the parties. These things just are not as straight forward as might be thanks to the way some people make and protect their money and assets, organise their relationships or even advance their personal value out of illegal activity. Yet they can be enthusiasts for cars. Having traded I have dealt with all sorts, including people I refused to supply cars to!
Now it is possible to sort some of these things out as time has gone by, and if I do choose to write a book about the odd life trading unusual cars, then this whole issue has to be visited so I maintain my agreements, yet can take advantage of the most interesting things that happened.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »
Meanwhile the KR200 continues to frustrate. The engine mounts replaced, the clutch lever unjammed, poor electrical contacts for the starter system sorted out the car resolutely refused to start.
A check on fuel showed none. Back up the system to find the clean fuel tap now blocked again. So a clean out of the tank and a magnet fitted to the far end of the tank on the outside of the tank to collect the ferrous particles.
As usual the flow then stopped at the choke tube. The plunger had its rubberized seal disintegrate. They do this if left laying about unused. They work once or twice and then fill the carb with crumbly crud. Injecting petrol into the engine showed the unit wanted to work. However a backfire during this broke the 'new' silencer I was to fit correctly. The strain of misfitting had seen a mount fail taking part of the wall with it. So a lump of scrap really. Removing the carb showed it fitted poorly, being jammed onto the studs. Over tightening the nuts shears the weak alloy into the hole, reducing its diameter.  With no gaskets to seal it the reason for over-tightening become clear. So still not running but we inch forward. I have a silencer and I have material to make a new plunger - better than Bing's, is the Bing item alcohol proof? The carb is serviced and a set of gaskets found.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 10:52:37 AM »
Surely Al if a Bond has a hand start then it does have a kickstart . As I have yet to pull or kickstart mine you have much more knowledge than me but the hand start cable goes through the bulkhead to the kickstart lever ? Albeit that it wasn't intended as a kickstart it could be used as such
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 11:18:01 AM »
Long time since I had my last early Bond. Maybe so.