Author Topic: Isetta windscreen wiper motor securing nut  (Read 6682 times)

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
Isetta windscreen wiper motor securing nut
« on: October 27, 2014, 05:37:10 PM »
My wiper motor is missing the securing nut (actually it was missing a few things, but I've managed to make one goodun from bits and pieces).

I've been informed that the nut is 14mm across flats (can anyone else confirm that?), I've measured the thread pitch which is very fine 0.75mm at M10. The spares suppliers want a few bob for new nuts, and they only seem to be available from Germany, so I thought I'd machine my own, but from stainless steel, so they'll stay rust free. I've ordered some HSS taps, just need to get some hexagonal bar to machine them from.

Anyone else interested in these? Can make a few an knock them out for a couple of quid.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Isetta windscreen wiper motor securing nut
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 06:29:59 PM »
They fit many other cars. Slightly special and irritatingly often not where the wiper motor is! I would go for a few. More than a few if it aids price/sourcing.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 10:04:38 AM »
Well I will make as many as I can part off from the stock, or as long as my tap stays sharp (stainless steel is rather hard on tools).
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 11:17:21 AM »
What grade are you using out of interest?

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 12:21:14 PM »
303. Not as good as 304 or 316, but easier to machine. Will still be better than plated steel nuts.

I would also wipe a bit of grease on the nut and/or thread to reduce any chance of galling.

I could also make them from brass, but I have concerns that some would strip or cross thread them.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 01:56:09 PM »
Good choice. I turned some 316 earlier this year and it was very chewy!

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 03:37:05 PM »
316 is handy if you live by the seaside. But the other grades are perfectly adequate for normal climes and especially for trim items.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 04:08:08 PM »
I have had plated brass versions. But the thread is definitely best lubed up. I normally clean the thread out and try the nut first, in case there is damage.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 04:40:59 PM »
Didn't the nuts have a trim piece/cap taht went over the top and sealed the shaft from water ingress?

Like these-
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 06:27:10 PM »
I have only ever seen the cheap thin aluminium cap which has a rubber seal , it's always done the job as have the original brass nuts - all original and will last far longer than some other parts of the cars
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 06:36:04 PM »
Well the thing is, I have neither. I didn't know the nuts were brass, the ones I've seen looked like steel, so I guess they must be plated. Regarding the caps, some I've seen are aluminium, others are brass, but again very difficult to obtain.

It always seems to be the little widgets and nic nacs that are the hardest to obtain. I think these are the last parts I need to source for my car.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 07:27:19 PM »
Perhaps they are steel ? The British ones are always brass . Pretty sure I have German Bosch nut and cover in the garage - you are welcome to them if I have
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 08:20:45 PM »
Thank you that would be very useful.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 08:45:26 PM »
I am away up north this week Thurso this morning , Lossiemouth today and Aberdeen by Thursday/ Friday . PM me at the weekend to remind me eh ?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 07:39:09 AM »
The spindle cover pictured is as used on Bosch. It certainly appears on the Treinkel so equipped; in ali alloy. Not so sure about Isetta. The SWF used a thing that looks like a tyre valve cap. I use one on the Trienkel unit to as one seals the thread, the other the spindle. Either have an associated rubber seal that attempts to prevent water getting in passed the gap. Now it maybe that SWF use brass nuts and Bosch steel, or vice versa. Without looking at my box of dead motors awaiting referb I cannot say. Like all parts there is always the chance of spec changes and budget downgrades on materials.