Author Topic: Thumper goes to London  (Read 9723 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Thumper goes to London
« on: October 29, 2014, 11:42:46 AM »
I was going to the Antique scientific Instrument fair last Sunday and as I didnt have much stock to pedal this year I decided to go in Thumper.
The drive in from Hornchurch at about 6.30 am was quite uneventful really. Our arrival gave all my fellow exhibitors a laugh although most couldnt resist taking a few pics. I was parked up right outside the Hotel where the fair was being held and I thought I had better just pop out to check on it periodically. Every time I did that I found it surrounded by tourists clicking away on there cameras and phones. Later that morning Professor Naham, Curator of the science museum came by and commented on it. This morning these photo's arrived from him, even he couldnt resist taking a snap or too!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Thumper goes to London
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 12:01:48 PM »
Nice one Bob. The Curator probably knows Isettas, they have a blue one and a black KR 200 in the Science Museum, at the rear ground floor where they have cars trains and planes.

A couple of times in DUF I over-stayed my time on parking meters and both times the Wardens did not give me a ticket because they liked the car so much, Squeak was with me one time and my nephew was with me the other time, so I even have witnesses! With my nephew it was in the West End: Denmark St. I had taken him there so he could get some new strings for his bass. Can you believe it: no ticket in the W.E.!

Soon after I replied to your email yesterday my pc died. I have had to completely wipe it and re-boot from the very start to get limited use again, and this is my first on-line use, HURRAY!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 02:08:14 PM »
Well there is more than one curator but this one is in charge of the macro exhibits so that includes cars , even microcars! He did actually tell me he acquired the Isetta for the museum.
You would get on well with him Marcus as he has authored quite a few books on aircraft and aircraft engines.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 02:27:30 PM »
Nice looking Isetta. Is it an original shell, or did it have to have some welding done in the usual places?
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 03:42:38 PM »
I regularly read the Science Museum blog pages but have not seen his name there (yet).
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 06:08:38 PM »
If you Google Prof Andrew Naham you will see some of his books etc.

Andy, the shell was pretty good, original floor and front wheel arches. There is a small patch let in to the rear wheel arch area which is odd as thats not a usual place to find any rot. Maybe it is damage or a cut out for some mod or other. Bit of a mystery really. Not a bad old car, can we see a pic of yours? A 59 isnt it?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 06:27:00 PM »
Really showing ignorance of Isettas her but on my Trojan there was an area of unusual rot . The battery on a Treinkel is in the rear right hand side and at some point the battery had tipped over , sounds unlikely I know , anyhow the acid stripped all the paint from that area of the car and the rot set in !
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 07:11:17 PM »
My car wasn't in such good condition. I'll post some pictures of pretty much how it was when I got it. I'd removed a few things like bumpers, petrol tank, window rubbers (vandals had smashed all the glass on the car) and removed the speedo as it was looking very tired. I also removed some the bitumen panels, so I could oil all the rusty panels to basically halt the rot that was setting in. I then built a wooden shed around the car to keep it out of the elements.

It was a very original car, the paint (what was left of it) was largely original, but it had a pretty awful blow over at some point in its life in the same Riviera blue, whoever did it also painted the grey sun roof too! The paint was so poorly applied you can scrape it off with a fingernail in places. Also a previous owner had been keen on festooning it with extra lamps and had drilled holes in the roof and door, with some dodgy wiring added to the loom.

The floor isn't as bad as it looks, and initially seemed completely sound, however upon pulling up the bitumen pad inside, several small holes revealed themselves- the floorpans were only primered underneath, and I think the fluting/ribs act as condensation traps.

The off side wing was corroded around the edge. This was purely down to a lack of paint in these areas. There are a few other small areas of minor localized corrosion in the rest of the body, and the parcel shelf had the usual butchery around the engine compartment. All of the underside was covered in surface rust poking through the original paint, so the shell is going to require either shot peening or dipping to get the rust off. I'm considering a dual approach, maybe have the door dipped as that is double skinned.

Andy
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 10:09:05 PM »
Andy, I'm very jealous, the number plate of your isetta spells my Initials.   RAP.  Robert Anthony Purton.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 10:36:04 PM »
Brighton suffix. Appropriate for an Isetta.

The numberplate caused me some problems. Not long after I had the car, I started getting letters from the DVLA asking if I'd sold the car or had it scrapped. I responded saying neither. I got three or four more of these letters, which prompted me to contact them by telephone, as I was getting fed up repeating myself and wasting stamps.

They informed me that someone else had applied for my number, with a blue Isetta. Well I explained how I acquired the car, and they seemed satisfied, and I thought that was an end to it.

A couple of months later, a couple of coppers turned up unannounced, all very formal, enquiring about the car. I took them out back to look at it and once they asked to see the sole numberplates and chassis plate. They seemed to relax a bit after that. I asked what was going on, and it turned out the person who'd applied for my number had reported the theft of the cars number and chassis plates. I was miffed at this, and I said what other evidence did this person have that the number was their's. Turns out they had the original green logbook.

They wouldn't tell me who this person was, only that it was someone living in Sidcup.

Never did get the original log book back, which is a shame as I'd have been interested to trace the cars history.

1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 10:44:07 PM »
Didn't you once live in Sidcup Bob  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 08:42:54 AM »
Sidcup, Essex. No the myth is exploded.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 09:51:42 AM »
;D  Twasnt me!   They will be claiming TG500 next! ;)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 02:17:34 PM »
"Never did get the original log book back, which is a shame as I'd have been interested to trace the cars history."

You can request of the DVLA a copy of everything they have on record for your cars registration number. It cost a fiver but well worth it.
I did this and found out the original number for mine was 943 CD [ number sold on in 1982.] also a continuous list of previous owners and that it was originally blue, then white and now red.
You may not be as fortunate as I was in getting so much background information but for a fiver its worth the risk.

The form you need is V888  https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/346633/V888_080814.pdf

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 03:15:56 PM »
I tried that service, but they unearthed nothing new, sadly.

All I know is that the previous owner was John W Groombridge, since July 1984, when he had the V5's issued and that the car was originally registered on 26th November 1959.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.