Author Topic: Bond bugger  (Read 8669 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Bond bugger
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 04:06:27 PM »
Perhaps you shoud get some of this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY1YndLmbXQ

Brilliant! I've tried the usual http://youtu.be/78b67l_yxUc?t=15s

And now rarer than many microcars. When did you see this model last?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 07:24:31 PM »
Don't think the 1100 ever really achieved iconic status unlike Issigonis's earlier designs the Morris Minor and mini.

I think the fact that it was styled, and thus looks very much like a car of its era rather than a timeless masterpiece like the mini, contributes to that.

They were martyrs to rust too, like pretty much all earlier monocoque designs, and I guess they just weren't loved enough by the general public to really bother to break out the MIG.

Many of the warmed up versions donated their engines to souped up minis.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 08:54:14 PM »
Indeed so. I still think in many ways they were a better car than the Mini. I had a succession of MG1100/1300. THey were far quicker than people realised. Anyway, this particular model filmed is very rare now.

I never bought into this fetish about the Mini being a ground breaking car. It did nothing that had not already been done. BMC lost over £40 on each one they made, so it sold under price for its first few years and cstruggled to make its profit. They got the design wrong, hasty refresh to bodge up the probs, like the prior Minor, which had two inches width added while the designer wasn't looking. Was Issigionis that clever? He refused to have the Mini raced and was against the idea. The promised suspension did not work when it finally got fitted, so was removed again, having bogged up potentially the best of the breed. To the extent many cars had the suspension changed to make it work, on the botch Moulton system, hastily now made permanent. Moulton and Cooper were chucked down the road for offering to improve designs, quality and sales after making the car work.
The saving grace was it handled very well and the engine was already being tuned before the Mini appeared, see giant killing by A35s, so making motorsport possible. To the notice of the in crowd that was very much attached to motorsport, money and music thus gave it a sheek image rather in spite of, rather than because of, BMC management. BL later refused to take the car further and fobbed the world off with the 1275GT, closing Innocenti down. Experiments with bigger wheels failed badly, and bloody things never had brakes to match the performance you could get out of the engines. I know. I have had about every Mini thing that was made and crashed 9 of them when I was young and wild. The car is a wonderful base to build a great car, but what the factory offered was never really the car it could have been. So not a 2CV or a Ludvinka/Porsche that developed into a ground breaking car of the world in my book. Just a great car by mistake. Queue upset arguments.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 11:02:47 PM »
The Mini is still an icon despite all you say Al. Just like the Beetle, fiat 500 and all the others. they all have mechanical weaknesses and design faults but they just encapsulate the period. Its not about mechanics, its about nostalgia and what they are visually. When I see one on the roads today and they are not common anymore I just get a warm glow. I'm often taken with how small they look now too.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 08:07:45 AM »
In that case they fit well with the more common microcars then. But why would a Mini put a smile on your face more than an 1100 Estate? Would it have to do with the 'new' Mini upping the anti, like the  'new' Fiat 500 and Beetle. The power of advertising is incredibly strong. Why, even the newer VW bus/van thing retains value, as it has rubbed off surfer status from the old death trap. That I think gives a clue, its 'buying a lifestyle'. As you point out, its that flash of recognition and then the associated lifestyle, minus the worts, of course. We all know life was 'better' back then, hype, blar. I am a bad case myself. Where are my comfy old slippers?

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 08:22:24 AM »
But why would a Mini put a smile on your face more than an 1100 Estate?

Well, an icon is a "person or thing regarded as a  representative symbol". If we play an association game with "Mini", we get: Twiggy, pop art dresses and curled up hair, celebrities having their special leather-clad editions, The Italian Job, The Bourne Identity, a first car, the monte Carlo Rally ...

If we do that with the 1100, we get ... Fawlty Towers (and Clockwise?) - not very "representative"!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 09:13:26 AM »
Hmm. Sees 1100 and thinks, 'I must have a sauna with the birch twigs'. I like it!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 12:25:40 PM »
"But why would a Mini put a smile on your face more than an 1100 Estate? "

Because a mini was the car my wife and I as 19 year old newly weds toured Wales in in 1975, it was a mini that I frustratedly carried my guitar and amp around in with my first band and a mini that I first removed and replaced an engine on. A mini that I first gave my self arc eyes welding and had to be taken to hospital in the middle of the night. It was mini's that we used to race under the car park barrier as it came down behind the previous car to avoid paying the exit fee! That's why when I see one it puts a smile on my face!

1100 estate, now let me think, the elderly painter and decorator bloke down the road had one. Not much there to get emotional about.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 02:58:13 PM »
I think the mini works, because it presents a pretty unique package.

Sporty handling/fun to drive.
A high degree of practicality in a very small package
Cheap to run
Cute cheeky look.

The Austin 1100 was just a bigger mini with a bit of  Italian styling of the period.

The 1800 was an even bigger mini, and was probably loved even less. I think there are only a handful of those left on the road now.

Some things work well in small packages. The Isetta looks nice as a small car, but I never went much on the BMW 600, to me it looked ungainly.

I think we've hijacked this thread enough now haven't we?
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 05:05:22 PM »
Alan is that last remark another reference to Fatty Owls ? Brushes as in Basil's Brushes ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977