Author Topic: Yellow Submarine and models  (Read 5774 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Yellow Submarine and models
« on: October 26, 2014, 08:39:26 PM »
Great instruction sequence there Andy, and I like the model. By sheer coincidence I have just made a model Yellow Submarine for a mechanical diorama. My "model" is actually just the quadruple periscope, as the sub is submerged!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
Re: Yellow Submarine and models
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 08:44:57 PM »
Good stuff. I have made the periscopes also, they just weren't shown in that picture.

You can see them in this earlier shot before I made the hull split and added the railings.

This boat is being built for radio control and will have an onboard sound system. The scope will also actuate. I'm working on the internal parts now, as all the external bits are built, just paint left to do on the outside.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
Great stuff Andy, perhaps when it is finished you can post photos on Off Topic, would love to see it. My DVD has a lightly different cover; I love that film.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 03:32:52 PM »
here's mine - sadly , but gladly its never seen water  :D

it seems to have worked , sorry about the horizontal image , I note the LP cover difference to the tape/dvd .

thank you for the posting info .
Alan
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 03:36:14 PM by plas man »

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 05:47:52 PM »
That's the Corgi model.

I used the plastic kit by Amt/Ertl for a reference, and basically scaled it up twice which gives a model about 19" long. I reckoned it was the closest model available faithful to the animation, although the boat differs in subtle ways from scene to scene, which can make things frustrating for a builder. I altered the conning tower slightly, also the added more stanchions to the railings, and added a small keel underneath which can be seen in the film.

The biggest headache with making this work is the lack of hydroplanes, which makes life awkward for achieving pitch control. I've gone for gimballed props which should be very effective (works for rockets).

Most science fiction and fantasy subs have been successfully built into working models except for this one.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 06:32:02 PM »
Flying sub on the Seaview was a fav back in the day. I have seen youtube of a Seaview but the Flying sub might yet be beyond capability?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 08:00:38 PM »
FS1 has been done many times, although none flying (unless through builders exasperation). A French modeller made a baby r/c FS1 that can be launched from underneath the hatch on a Seaview. Very neat.

I have a Moebius models 1/32nd scale FS1. Don't often purchase kits, as I prefer to scratchbuild, but this one was as good as it gets, as they scanned an original hero model from the series to create the 3D CAD file for the reproduction. So it's spot-on accurate, although they corrected some asymmetry that was present in the original.

1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 04:49:14 PM »
My favourite science fiction/fantasy boat is the Nautilus by Harper Goff, perhaps better known as the Disney Nautilus, after the 1953 film starring James Mason as Captain Nemo.

This hull was produced by a builder in the U.S who had access to the 11 foot filming miniature used in the film, so it's very accurate. It's about 51" longs and moulded from epoxy glass.

1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 07:24:23 PM »
20,000 leagues under the sea by Jules Verne
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 08:25:11 PM »
Indeed, still their finest moment IMO.

I don't think Jules Verne translates very well to celluloid, but this one worked, chiefly I think because they only used a few elements from the novel, and created something original.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 07:49:02 AM »
Maybe the model engineers will beat the full areospace boys on flying submarines. Scale is on there side for strength/force. There are many great 'joke' models like flying Flymo and such. I used to be into R/C car racing and the host club had some very clever people as members. Across the world a pool of extraordinary talent. I well remember a genuine edible mobile Christmas Pudding that only showed its brilliance after prizes were given. It drove round the table and set itself alight with brandy several times before being eaten to expose the workings. Same guy had a very convincing R/C duck with which he would mingle in feeding real ducks and water cannon the provider of bread through the slightly open beak. Guys who do things for the challenge rather than a gong.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 12:45:34 PM »
A working model flying sub is definitely possible, especially with modern electric power with lipo and brushless motors. I do a bit of model flying, so I'm clued up on wing loadings. It probably wouldn't be a very nice aeroplane to fly, and a rather indifferent submarine, so I'm happy to hand that particular challenge onto someone else.

Used to race off-road 1/10th scale cars when I was younger, but it got too exotic and costs spiralled. As a schoolkid, I couldn't keep up with well heeled adults, so I went back to marine stuff where ingenuity counted for more than the size of a wallet.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 10:05:21 PM »
I got banned as I used the largest wedge shapped lexan body and created a ground effect car. The faster it went the more downforce it created. While max speed was compromised it cornered far better then anything else. As a guy who appeared only 9 months before the old hands did the time honoured thing of banning the new ideas. Exit me, left, to do something else, as that is just cheating. If a formula was offered to create a level playing field it would be another matter. But they meerly wanted to maintain status.
Creative modeling is another thing all together but I never went into that.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »
I love that Nautilus model