Author Topic: Was your very first car a microcar??  (Read 6285 times)

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
Was your very first car a microcar??
« on: November 09, 2014, 01:27:09 PM »
On a similar theme to Richard where he asked for pictures of projects as they arrived, it occurred to me that many Rumcar members probably started off with a microcar as their first vehicle. Since many of us are now of or approaching a certain age let's post some images of ourselves in our youth and the cars we had.

I will kick it off with my Mark D Bond in 1970.
7 x Bond Minicars ABCCDDF

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Was your very first car a microcar??
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 01:38:25 PM »
great " period  " photo  ;) i bet if it survives it will have gone back to old fashioned plates . Surprised Stuart didn't comment but i have looked at wiki . reflective plates were mandatory from 1973 , but were an option from 1968 , so Nicks car must have had them fitted by 1970
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:58:45 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 01:47:12 PM »
 "Very first car"?

But ALL the cars for the road I've ever owned have been microcars in one form or another!!!  Admittedly several of them didn't get very far (you live & learn) but big cars; what are they?   ;D   8)

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 03:46:47 PM »
great " period  " photo  ;) i bet if it survives it will have gone back to old fashioned plates . Surprised Stuart didn't comment but i have looked at wiki . reflective plates were mandatory from 1973 , but were an option from 1968 , so Nicks car must have had them fitted by 1970

according to DVLC its un-taxed , so its still on the book's , did the number plate law include three wheelers ? , the tyre , seat belt and towing laws differ .

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 04:31:05 PM »
Were they mandatory I thought it was only new vehicles that were produced after that date as I remember my fathers cars never had them fitted in the seventies
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 04:50:44 PM »

according to DVLC its un-taxed , so its still on the book's , did the number plate law include three wheelers ? , the tyre , seat belt and towing laws differ .

Well chaps, being a hoarder, as I am, it will be no surprise to you that I still have NHV 370. I originally purchased it in January 1969 and reflective plates had been out for about a year then so the thing to do do was to purchase a set from the Exchange & Mart to update the vehicle along with those swept back Capri mirrors (oh dear!)
7 x Bond Minicars ABCCDDF

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 09:03:14 PM »
sorry gary i meant of course mandatory on new vehicles , after all they aren't mandatory on others even now . Great memories nick 
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 10:16:37 PM »
Nice to know it is still with us unfortunately I never thought about photographs with my early vehicles a Fiat 500 and a Bond Bug wish I had photographed these and all the micros I had seen discarded as by the late seventies nobody seemed to want them I was offered loads but my father would not allow me to store them
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 09:35:12 AM »
Likewise. I had 3 Isettas bought from my woodwork master at school, age 16. By the time I had a licence, fell foul of the trike/prov learner rule, I had covered enough mileage in the best one illegally to realise I needed a new pair of boots, and a better car. So those Isetta never did see the road with me but they were sold and restored by others and I assume are still around somewhere. I bought a Mini for £300, a lot of money in 1978, and had to rebuild it at that. The start of a succession of A series cars. I also had a Trojan, which hit the road to be swapped for a Goggo and a Messerschmitt arrived from a quarter of a mile down the road when the Germans delivered the Goggo and took the Trojan. 

The first Isetta I worked on, owned by my housemaster, turned up at Merthr Tydfil still in yellow and with the school sticker in the window. I would like to have bought it but was without funds that year. That takes me back to 1975 and so my association with microcars will hit 40 years next year. I remember being in the group that represented the 'young owners' and hope for these cars. Fortunately there are younger owners than me about, but maybe my generation was the last sort of unified influx on the back of the formation of clubs and Burford. It has to be said that many a car looks like being successfully inherited, while not the best solution to an issue, it is to be welcomed and maybe these owners will form an educated rump to input their skills in clubs and such. 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 10:10:50 AM »
My first car was a Bond Mk C in 1963/64

I also found a photo of a certain Bond next to my Peel in 1976 when Nimo must have come to Polegate to view my collection.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:42:11 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
a bit of a cheat but.... when i had my Trojan i was on the local Radio Merseyside once and a couple got in touch and said their very first car , after a scooter, had been a Heinkel - here are some pics . what can we glean ? well as the car has the unusual Wingard rear lights I think it must be a 1961 Heinkel Ireland . ED being a Warrington registration , not so far away perhaps 20/25 miles
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 08:01:29 PM by richard »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 06:39:30 PM »
and this was taken when Mike Simmonds and I took them for a spin in our Heinkel and Trojan respectively