Author Topic: steering wheel refurb  (Read 20566 times)

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
Re: steering wheel refurb
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 06:38:01 PM »
Perhaps they case hardened the steel. Seems a bit OTT for a set of handlebars mind.

Could always incorporate some modern composite reinforcement in the mould, like carbon and kevlar. That would make it incredibly strong, probably more than it needs to be in truth.

Sadly, when it comes to rallies I don't think you can wind the clock back. With increasing values of micro cars you tend to get a different kind of owner, the IOC had a go at organising a fun run for Isettas a few years back, and I think they ended up with about two people and a dog (not sure if the latter was driving).
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 07:37:35 PM »
Aircraft quality alloy, I think.

Strangely the IOC never really seemed to connect into either having an annual rally of their own, or into great numbers of active drivers on the piste of events, in relation to the numbers of cars left. No idea why. Of course they had their stalwarts who popped up all over the place. Different cars, different wrinkles and fads.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 07:59:35 PM »
They had the AGM and club rally, which was usually held in May. I went to about four of those, the first in 1989, which was held on the outskirts of Leicester. They were nice little events as I recall.

I think a fair number of Isetta owners ran their cars on a wing and prayer, you used to hear a lot of them with tinkly engines, sounding none too healthy, so I guess their owners didn't trust them on a long journey. Then you'd have the flip side with cars so immaculate you could eat your dinner off the underside of the floorpan, but probably only get a trip round to the local once a year.

So the handlebars were aluminium. Might be an aircraft grade, which is tougher, although no aluminium is ever as strong as steel.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 10:55:13 PM »
No the handlebars are not aluminium. They have a steel core.
Someone started making cast aluminium replacements but try driving with those in the winter , your hands would get frost bite.

As I'm typing this the stupid American spell check is telling me I cant spell Aluminium! ::)

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 11:00:10 PM »
As I'm typing this the stupid American spell check is telling me I cant spell Aluminium! ::)

I just found out there is a British version of "English" available for the forum and installed it as the default language.
I am absolutely serious.
It should work a lot better now.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 06:27:56 AM »
Aw Jim can't we just stay with the double Dutch one that we have now got used to ?  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 09:38:55 AM »
Thanks for trying Jim but nothing has changed at this end. Its still telling me I cant spell aluminium, colour, tyre and all the others.  Looks like we are stuck with pigeon English.
Of course it will not stop most of us spelling these words correctly but its a little worrying to think that young ones will be "educated" in the ways of colonial English by means of an erroneous spell check.
Not a big issue but one that does annoy quite a few users. Not your fault though Jim. I for one am only too grateful we have a capable webmaster.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 09:56:54 AM »
No the handlebars are not aluminium. They have a steel core.
Someone started making cast aluminium replacements but try driving with those in the winter , your hands would get frobite

It is a steel alloy, perhaps with titanium in, or some such. This goes back to a theory that one W. Messerschmitt sent his team of top young engineers in when the car morphed from the Fend KR175 to the much different KR200. In much the same way I described Vickers looking at the Frisky using there young engineers. If Vickers had taken on production I am certain they would have insisted on reviewing the design. What Vickers made have would not have been the Frisky we know. A contributory reason why it did not happen in all probability. For the Messerschmitt the leap in development from Flitzer to KR175 is logical. Then, wham, the KR200 appears from left field, as clever true stressed steel monocoque, rubber in torsion suspension, floating engine mountings but solid drive. Graded steels to task and attention to many small issues that speak of some considerable thought to make things light but work. Its almost a different car using the same concept. The then modification to a four wheeler is logical, and not such a big leap as the one before.

It was the wonderful Frank Jeavens who made some ali steering bars. Scootacar steering bars are ali, aren't they?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 10:14:28 AM »
Solid drive? The whole chain case is floating a rubber hence the steering wander problems that some have. [wait for clever answer from Al]  Good point about Scootacar steering bars, I think they are solid aluminium.  I guess if they are coated in something thick enough it would insulate your hands.

Frank Jevons made some good stuff, I got by bird badge from he.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 10:17:12 AM »
Sorry for the deviation but I didn't start it . Are you sure it's not your own device that's correcting you Bob ? My iPhone is a pain in this respect but if I post via my laptop I don't think the forum spell check interferes does it ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 10:30:59 AM »
Don't know what browser you're running. I use Firefox, where you can download a plug-in UK english dictionary. Firefox is a cross platform compatible browser.

I very much doubt that they used Titanium in the Messerschmitt, it's incredibly expensive, and they were budget cars after all. Plus it's complete overkill for the application.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 10:31:43 AM »
Could be. I didnt think of that Richard. Will investigate.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 10:33:56 AM »
I'm using firefox as well. Will have to look into that.

Agreed about the titanium.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 10:48:32 AM »
There is not a clever answer, sadly. I give you my view.

The engine has no effect on the rear suspension other than a slight force as it powers up, tensioning the chain vertically, so no prob. The carden shaft is the key element. The engine can vibrate but the shaft remains in drive all the time -Spring to the Swing- remember. No energy sapping girt rubbers. No engine solidly mounted to chaindrive so the whole thing bobs up and down on mounts and suspension. No collars to wear on a rubber mounted engine like the Heinkel, which still weaves on its mounts anyway. The schmitt does not offer engine vibration, try the KR175 and you get what one other option offers using pretty much the same unit. So much vibration that the regulator regularly falls off or fails!
That leaves the swing arm. Given the choice of hardly any suspension or a suspension system. Bring in weight issues, we want it to be light weight, then two big rubber in torsion units is more than adequate. At 50 odd years of age these units are at the end of their life. Pretty much like many other suspension set ups, actually. Since the rubber unit is the suspension, no bushings or other joints, shackles etc. you can but replace it. With new rubbers on the deflection on cornering is acceptable for the performance of the car. It is predictable. If you tune a Schmitt up and are looking at high speeds then you can buy a long available extra frame that helps locate the swingarm with a mounting on the chain case plate.
In fact most movement on the rear is deflection of the tyre used. That is why you use the best tyre you can buy on the back. Put a cheap trailer tyre on there, even if it is 6 ply, is not going to cut the mustard. Some have gone further and put in a wider section tyre with solid sides on 'panzer' wheels made of thicker steel, some wider.
I would put a Schmitts directional stability and maneuverability at speed far in excess of most of the competition, if all in optimum condition, but only with good tyres on. Where it is less good and eclipsed, is in slow handling, as the steering has a large turning circle and requires creep to turn without major effort on the steering bar. It is also a much harder ride overall and one very good reason some people reject it for the softer ride of other cars. Not everyone wants to drive like a loony.
As a separate test, look at the speed and ease with which you can get the engine out. The MOC have run races in the passed and I believe some ridiculously fast times were recorded, but 20 minutes as an easy target. Bonds step forward. The car remains mobile without the engine. Its well thought out.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 10:52:20 AM »
[quote author=AndyL link=topic=4662.msg37179#msg37179 date=1415961059
I very much doubt that they used Titanium in the Messerschmitt, it's incredibly expensive, and they were budget cars after all. Plus it's complete overkill for the application.
[/quote]

That is why this steel bar is a bit of a mystery. All I know is it pigging tough. It has a sort of blue look to it when its clean. Bit like spring-steel.