Author Topic: WTB Siba voltage current regulator  (Read 8539 times)

ohartmanno

• Occasional
  • Atlas Roadster
    • Hartmann photography
WTB Siba voltage current regulator
« on: December 09, 2014, 07:50:29 AM »
I´m in need of a Siba current regulator for my Villiers 3T engine. As I know this part was used in Messerschmitt, Fuldas and Heinkels as well. Can anybody help? Thank you for your advice! Best oliver, mail: hartmann.zirkel@t-online.de
few cars but all are running nicely :-)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: WTB Siba voltage current regulator
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 09:18:56 AM »
These are becoming a bit hard to get hold of, in working order. A problem, if originality is important. Otherwise you can use the Nosso regulator available new. It is a version of the Bosch regulator found on Goggo, Isetta and such. However it would work for you. It is not going to go straight into a Black Box however, as it is a wider design, as was the bigger Bosch item it copies.
There are several people now offering a solid state version of the regulator, placed inside an old regulator unit so it looks original. I have never used one and would make no recommendation of the units. I prefer, and have original stuff still. They are more expensive that the Nosso, in my experience. Though there are folk selling Nosso at silly prices. Trust this helps.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 10:49:11 AM »
http://www.dynamoregulators.com/voltage-regulators.php
The one I think Al is talking about is the DVR2-S

messyman

• messerschmitt kr200, frisky, isetta 300
  • Quite Chatty
  • messyman motors
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 11:25:36 PM »
there was 1 on English ebay---------------------------------------------------------
I might have 1 Ill have to look
messyman restorator of rust relics vw or bubblecars
www.vw-specials.forumotion.com
Messerschmitt kr200 x2 ,frisky family 3 mk1 shell,isetta 300 lhd chassis, vw polo,vw caddy mk1 , t4 , mini , my dad has 2x Messerschmitt kr175

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 10:31:19 AM »
There was. I forgot to bid on it. Ebay used to remind me, but all that got involved in blather and promoting left handed wombats, or equally daft product if you wanted a regulator, because there was some weird association in a computer numb nuts's head. Cannot be bothered with it, so I continually fail to bid on stuff. Its all to time consumingly boring.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 04:03:35 PM »
I´m in need of a Siba current regulator for my Villiers 3T engine. As I know this part was used in Messerschmitt, Fuldas and Heinkels as well. Can anybody help? Thank you for your advice! Best oliver, mail: hartmann.zirkel@t-online.de

If you find one I would advise fitting a fuse to prevent future 'burn' out , its a job - but well worth the effort - can supply a bit of info and paperwork if needed .

alan

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 04:32:55 PM »
yes please  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 11:19:49 AM »
I would favour an electronic regulator over electro-mechanical any day- much more reliable providing it's been done right.

For those interested in reading more about solid state dynamo regulation I thought the following articles might prove to be interesting reading-

http://www.worldphaco.net/uploads/The_Simple_Electronic_RB106_MK2comp.pdf

http://www.worldphaco.net/uploads/LUCAS_RB106_ELECTRONIC_DYNAMO_REGULATOR_CONVERSION_USING_THE_BOSCH_30019_REGULATOR.pdf

http://www.worldphaco.com/uploads/HISTORICAL_DYNAMO_REGULATOR_DESIGNS_FROM_THE_ELECTRONICS_ARCHIVE.pdf
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »
Providing its been done right. Its that nasty little phrase, isn't it? Many a micro have I passed with duffed electronic ignition. But I agree that if its done right, its better, though not fixable at the side of the road. There is only one way to find out, and there is a fair choice now. After you, sir.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 05:36:31 PM »
Agreed.

It does help if you understand what is going on under the cover, and I think whilst many DIY restorers can stretch to most jobs, understanding the intricacies of electronic units is beyond many. It doesn't help when little to no information is supplied with the units in question.

I refurbished my Bosch control box some time ago and retrofitted one of Colin Archer's replacement items (is he still making them I wonder?) which is custom built to fit in easily. Not cheap, but well made. However the circuit is potted in resin, which means if something does go wrong, it's not an easy fix.

The information I posted above is the first I've seen of anything published online about a DIY approach, and there is also quite a bit of good information about how the mechanical units worked.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 05:42:01 PM by AndyL »
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.