Author Topic: POWERDRIVE  (Read 116022 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: POWERDRIVE
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2014, 05:18:15 PM »
Unfortunately in its way but the engine being worth a good few hundred pound will possibly be the straw that breaks the .....
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

powerdrive

• POWERDRIVE
  • Chatty
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2014, 07:14:42 PM »
Just a word of thanks to all for keeping the discussion going on the subject of the Powerdrive , big thanks to Grant, Malcolm, chris, and  Stewart,  for great photos, advise and general banter ,I have picked up so much information from it all, on the subject of the windscreen , my car is the mk3 which has subtle differences ( difficult to see in the photos ) from any of the other ones posted which appear flat and square , but mine is curved and tapered around 52" tapering to 48"   and 14" high I am pretty sure mine is a windscreen from a production car of the 50s I have a thought of a a90 Westminster or similar , also  as it appears the cars left are ether very bad or pretty complete I would always be interested in any spare parts that anyone would know of thanks, Gary.

powerdrive

• POWERDRIVE
  • Chatty
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2015, 08:57:28 PM »
Powerdrive update  after the previous flurry of posts I have been following up the information provided by you all not least with the help of bob purton ,who put me in touch with Adrian a fellow enthusiast who had an original front grill including the decorative  lions head emblem which will replace the brass “door knocker “ I received with the car, he also had a pair of proper lions head hubcaps he removed from the a powerdrive and have been in his garage  he had removed them  from a powerdrive that  was derelict  in a driveway in weighbridge surrey 45 years ago he has now posted the parts to me and will be fitted soon after a good clean up  I also contacted David, a previous owner of the groombridge powerdrive he informed me that when the car was removed from the yard  the grill and hubcaps were missing a coincidence, maybe but wouldn’t it be great to think this was the same car  either way there  is no doubt  Adrian effectively saved these parts  from  certain destruction all these years ago ,Also to confirm I am constantly in touch with George a friend  who is restoring the Coronet mentioned in other posts he lives in my area and I have known of the car for many years and George has an even bigger task on his hands as the car is a chassis up restoration , on my own car I have been speaking to a good friend in the microcar scene who has been restoring a nobel  for the last 20 odd years and is close to completion (yes really scootercar ) so between us have pencilled in    a  road run  in the 1st week of march   which  would surely  be at least 30 years or much  more since either car has been driven on the road  I have quite a to do list before this will be possible including fitting a windscreen which for the short term I have fitted a Perspex one   but I hope we can make it happen  and will keep you all updated cheers

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2015, 10:31:27 PM »
I'm so glad you were able to do the deal with Adrian and acquire the Lion grill and hubcaps. It only seems right that they will end up back on a Powerdrive after all these years. Glad I could play my part.
Well done all Rumsters. There is some good stuff going on right now on the forum where the right help is reaching the right people and some rare cars are standing a good chance of getting restored correctly. Keep it up!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2015, 06:34:12 PM »
Great thread folks! I hope we will see some nice photos and video when the Powerdrive returns to the road.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2015, 07:27:41 PM »
Whatever you do, don't post a photo. The Powerdrive is bound to be cloned ;D. No more photos on the forum please.

powerdrive

• POWERDRIVE
  • Chatty
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2015, 01:37:26 PM »
Hi I am getting close to the point of trying out the powerdrive out for a test run ,can anyone recommend an insurance company to insure a unusual vehicle like this at a sensible rate ?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2015, 02:23:12 PM »
Start with:-

Peter James

or

Footman James

powerdrive

• POWERDRIVE
  • Chatty
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2015, 09:51:42 AM »
Well I have taken the powerdrive for a few short runs round my area with a view to trying a run farther afield , I have also entered it in an event at Alford motor museum close to home in a ,less than 500 survivors event , so I think it should qualify ok  unfortunately the clutch is slipping badly (mind you they never slip good do they  ;D) however before I take it out farther I will need to replace the plates does anyone know if these are common to any other car/bike for sourcing parts or recommend a firm to reline them thanks Gary

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2015, 10:01:29 AM »
Hoorah! Driver power to the Powerdrive driver. Should get in a mag once you have it working efficiently. Its a rare and wondrous beast to be loose in the lanes.

Its an Albion gearbox, isn't it? Should be available via bike source.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:04:48 AM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2015, 10:02:19 AM »
Hope you post a video of it in use!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2015, 10:05:34 AM »
We are talking excelsior aren't we ? Berkeley club will I am sure help with that one . I have a couple of sets to sell off but need the same attention please let me know what you find out . Hopefully I will find a buyer and can pass on the relining info
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2015, 10:29:43 AM »
Mike Cherney of Petworth.
clutchcorkcarvery@btinternet.com

powerdrive

• POWERDRIVE
  • Chatty
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2015, 11:04:48 AM »
Hi the gearbox is albion did Berkley use excelsior or are they the same? I will be posting picture and a video before I pull it to bits to do the clutch cheers Gary

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2015, 11:23:04 AM »
Yep certainly the Berkeley B60 uses the Excelsior 328 with Albion box