Author Topic: POWERDRIVE  (Read 116057 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: POWERDRIVE
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2015, 07:23:13 PM »
Ralph Beardsmore? Not without his probs did he get bthe car going well. I recall a fire....
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2015, 07:47:56 PM »
Thats the chappie!  I only remember following him on a couple of runs in my old Nobel and didnt appear to be struggling with any issues on those occasions. I also remember him offering the car for sale at £3000 in the east anglia micrometer mag and my wife Shelley telling me I should buy it.

powerdrive

• POWERDRIVE
  • Chatty
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2015, 08:47:05 PM »
Well I was pleasantly surprised how well it drove on the flat and even gradients, after all the stories, but I wont be able to give an honest view until I do the clutch and try it out on a decent hill ,

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2015, 10:19:02 PM »
Ralph Beardsmore from Newark had to re-engineer the under carriage of the Coronet so that cool air was ducted from the front of the car direct onto the cylinders.  This had the Excelsior twin fitted though and not the more troublesome Anzani that is in the Powerdrive.
Yes Al, as the restoration was nearing completion it caught fire and the fibreglass body was destroyed.  A derelict Coronet was located and the body was used to re-restore it again.

powerdrive

• POWERDRIVE
  • Chatty
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2015, 10:40:02 PM »
0n the subject of cooling I have fitted a perforated aluminium rear floor in the powerdrive with foot wide air intake scoops ,I have also used a turbo type heater blower to cylinder 2 to aid cooling when stationary to hopefully deal with the lack of cooling

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2015, 11:50:19 PM »
Fantastic. I hope you get the clutch sorted soon. Has it got a roof?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

powerdrive

• POWERDRIVE
  • Chatty
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2015, 09:42:01 AM »
I have the original roof and side screens which I intend to get redone during the restoration proper which will be at the end or the rally season any recommendation for this work would be appreciated  I also have a tonneau cover which is a bonus

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2015, 10:14:49 AM »
0n the subject of cooling I have fitted a perforated aluminium rear floor in the powerdrive with foot wide air intake scoops ,I have also used a turbo type heater blower to cylinder 2 to aid cooling when stationary to hopefully deal with the lack of cooling

Going on memory I recall the engine having an installation with vanes directing air from the side scoop to the engine which had a casing, cast ali?, over it to keep the air from spilling away from the fins. I think this was based on the marine version of the engine.
Cannot comment myself, but those I respect who have used both engines with understanding say the Anzani is superior to the Excelsior in many ways.
With these enclosed engines it is important to have the air easy access to the ducting. It then needs an air tight duct of slowly reducing diameter to increase the spead of the air to that which is efficient in removing the heat in a timely manor from the fins. The exhausted hot air needs a low pressure area of exterior bodywork to exit efficiently and not to be sucked back into, or under the car. While air is a gas it can be predicted by fluid dynamics. As the air increases in speed it will pull more in behind it like a syphon. On exiting the hot engine it will have expanded so will need a little more room.
This any new holes, ducting or other mods needs to take these principles into account. It is easy to make a port on the assumption it is introducing more air, when in fact it is upsetting a pre planned system and preventing air flow. A classic few examples from Goggo land.
Example 1 Export Goggo saloons had rear quarter light windows. It was found that with these open the pressure wave formed pushed air away from the side vents in the body and the cars overheated.
Example 2 The Goggo engine is sealed horizontally in its bay. Cold air comes in the top. It goes into the carb and blower. The blower blows it over the cylinders forwards to exit in front of the ducted blower, and away with the hot exhaust. Remove the rubber seals and the car will get a bit hot, reducing performance. Remove the blower duct, as in perhaps a quarter of Goggos I have seen at rallies, and you will have a car living on hot air in its carb, thus a weak mixture, and unable to cool itself as it is breathing its own preheated cooling air. These cars tend to knock out piston 2, as it overheats more. Another dead Goggo.
So you need to know why you have made any new holes in a car for cooling. Watch for any evidence of overheating, either way. Maplin sell thermocouple heat sensors for very little. A great investment. It might be noted that over hot clutches tend to slip, as do low fluid oil bath wet clutchs.

Have you checked your clutch push rod? It is not uncommon for this rod to bell up and thus be incapable of relaxing its position. In effect the clutch is left half on. Many Albion users put a ball bearing in the end to take up the load on a hard bit off metal.   
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2015, 02:45:48 PM »
All that from Al could be the most informed, and informative , information that I have read on the subject of cooling and possibly one of the best posts on this forum I think
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

powerdrive

• POWERDRIVE
  • Chatty
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2015, 04:09:42 PM »
As the Nobel has been in the focus of the forum here are a few snaps of a recent outing with the powerdrive and a  friends  recently restored nobel  we did around 15 miles in the rain but we were both smiling even without a roof! Also a short Video                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_H5jeDmqm0.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2015, 04:34:41 PM »
Lovely! Two rare microcars out on the open road, being used just as they should be. Thanks for posting.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2015, 05:22:01 PM »
Yup, great to see!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2015, 06:46:37 PM »
Great first shot. Cut to Clarkson with grand piano.

No seriously. that is the thing get them running, build up the trips to get some reliability. Cracking. I stink of two stroke have got a Schmitt running after about 28 years idleness. A real stinker full of dried fuel and carbon. Driving was restricted to the now rebuilt BX 1.6 Auto after ignition problems. Oh wonderful light evenings!

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2015, 07:31:55 PM »
Fantastic. Great to see both on the road together. Dry weather coming soon!
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2015, 03:04:29 PM »
0' the joys of open motoring , very nice to see it running - lets hope its driven to rally's and not trailered , the Bond was (will be soon be - new brake parts have arrived ) always under its own steam .

dare we ask for a photo of the first breakdown  :o

Alan