Author Topic: POWERDRIVE  (Read 116039 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: POWERDRIVE
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2015, 05:43:52 PM »
Gone well off subject but this is an odd one  :) I bought a Bond and joined the club , there was no reluctance to accept me , if there ever was a reluctance to accept new members , which I honestly doubt , ever since I joined 10 years ago there has been a half page or so of new members this month many from abroad . The last two months there have been very interesting articles from Australia and Alaska detailing rebuilds and the terrific friendly response the guys had on joining the club . I would beg that if you are talking of some mythical or historic situation you get better informed  :)

Stan was somewhat hostile to the notion of Bonds abroad. If this is the myth or history refereed too I am getting informed things have changed. To do this I am asking questions. I know of no other way of finding such things out. Since the news is good I cannot see why this should be threatening. Its not perhaps British to blow your own trumpet. So this allows BOC to stand forward and take a bow. Anyone reading this on the forum will now know something they perhaps did not. I think that is what it is for. If that counts as your winning, then I am fine with that. I have won too, because its good gossip I can spread.

Having agreed we are all happy in a way perhaps time for me to leave this and hope the Powerdrive has got a speeding ticket on its next adventure, or something, which will appear below.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

powerdrive

• POWERDRIVE
  • Chatty
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2015, 11:43:36 AM »
Update on the powerdrive I recently attended my 1st show with the powerdrive and my friend drove his nobel , a local show with l a very appropriate format namely less than 500 survivors which it would have qualified for in 1956

powerdrive

• POWERDRIVE
  • Chatty
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2015, 12:15:18 PM »
unfortunately due to the fact that so few were made this made me effectively last in the competition as the judging was based  on how many produced verses how many left , which made the rarest car there a 1980s Renault 19 diesel apparently ? However this was the 1st year of the show and was in my view a successful event .  The following week I was to drive to a local show but all day heavy rain put me off , especially with no roof ,  further events are planned before the end of the season before phase 2 of the restoration resumes . P. s sorry it is in 2 parts file is too big
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 12:19:08 PM by powerdrive »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2015, 12:56:45 PM »
This is an argument I have regularly. You can have rare cars due to few made. However you can have statistically rare cars where many were made but few are left, as well. From the point of view of looking at cars for old times sake, therefore, it might be argued that a 1100 MK1 Estate/Countryman is more interesting than a Scootacar. This ignores eccentricity of build, of course. That is, perhaps, subjective. But I understand the rule they wish to apply. I do not doubt that a Powerdrive and a Nobel, driving, stole the show for many of those attending.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

powerdrive

• POWERDRIVE
  • Chatty
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2015, 02:05:44 PM »
I don't disagree with this format in principle and completely agree that low production cars are all but excluded but I would question a car so "new" getting a top award at a show aimed at classic car owners , also would love to know how many of these models exist in there native country . It was however a great day and we could hope the might tweak it a little for the years to come

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2015, 07:19:53 PM »
I think your right. But Classic Car often applies as covering cars over 25 years old. All my cars are thus 'Classic', but I feel the BX and Trooper are moderns. It feels wrong taking them to drive in events, but when your there you find plenty of people looking and talking about them.
The BX itself is a car that sold something like 2.5 million. The UK is down to under 1200 left running! Half of those are going to go, a little bolstering by good, but off road mothballed cars. I can see them down to 750 cars in a few years. There is no doubting its credentials as a Classic, but I am not sure it is one yet. The '87 Trooper Citation 2.8 Turbo D I have is practically extinct as they all rotted away long since.
By being this inclusive organisers bolster numbers as owners of odd and older cars seem ever more reluctant to bring them out. I suspect it is a good thing the winning car was not some obscure '30's car for total attendance. Its a clever strategy. Exclude the common, but be inclusive of the lesser over a long period. A many and varied entrant list as opposed to half the cars being regularly featured in the alleged Classic Car Magazines. Something that the car shows like the NEC might take note of as they continue to turn down stands from modern Classics with enthusiastic groups who are prepared to budget significant money and effort to build interesting stands in favour of duplicating the more common recognised mainstream classics. The BX Club suffering here after a prize winning stand a few years ago. A matter of balance, and for those who feed of it, profit.

powerdrive

• POWERDRIVE
  • Chatty
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2015, 06:17:04 PM »
Now at The end of the rally season for the powerdrive, after attending the" how many left" rally early in the season by trailer I decided it was time to drive the car to a rally so along with my friend Mike with his Nobel we drove both the cars 10 miles on the main roads to a local show . With no real issues so much so we took the long way home traveling around 25 miles for our day both cars performed well uphill and down .even getting interest from the local paper . The powerdrive is now in the garage to start phase 1 of the restoration proper getting the bodywork straight ready for paint along with other modifications and improvements . Click on this link to see the powerdrive In action climbing a hill  ;D   https://youtu.be/iQNh6uH_Rwc

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2015, 08:06:28 PM »
Makes me think of Edwin H story of going to view a Powerdrive back in the day. Happy days.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2015, 10:27:25 PM »
Thanks Gary - great video. Look forward to reading details of the restoration as it progresses.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2015, 10:31:50 PM »
Well done to those two boys. Takes me back to 1976 when I used to drive my cars to shows. GREAT.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

powerdrive

• POWERDRIVE
  • Chatty
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2015, 04:07:59 PM »
The powerdrive  body restoration is in full swing , but I have a question for someone clued up on d.v.l.a matters  last year I went to tax the car as I used it for a few shows . I could not get it done online or at the post office . when I phoned the dvla I was told the car could not be taxed because it was already taxed !! I could only assume the last owner had taxed the car . I have now looked further as I had not received a reminder . but just noticed the taxation class is "not licenced" instead of historic vehicle  . as far as I can make out that as the car has been off the road for so long not on the road there is no need to tax or sorn it therefore the 1st time it gets taxed I can change the status to historic . but as far as I can work out I have to produce an mot to make this change, so I have to get the car m.o.t. d to get it m.o.t. exempt  sounds stupid enough to be true can anyone confirm if this is the case or not thanks Gary

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2015, 04:43:33 PM »
Some aspects of that sound distinctly odd, but the bit about requiring an MoT sounds right.

The MoT exemption is for vehicles which have been in regular "use", shown by their continuous insurance and tax history.

There had to be something to stop people finding a few bits of rusty old wreck, and promptly proceeding to drive it on the road.  Hence, the first time a car is brought back into licensing, a check is needed that it's safe.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 04:46:35 PM by DaveMiller »

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2015, 06:49:29 PM »
I didn't need an MOT when I first put my Bond back on the road after it's 30 year break. I had to fill in form V112 "Declaration of exemption from MOT". Assuming your Powerdrive was first registered before 1st January 1960, then that would be what you need. If I remember correctly, I had to fill this out and send it to the DVLA along with the other paperwork and they sent back an updated V5C with the "Historic Vehicle" taxation class.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/declaration-of-exemption-from-mot
Malcolm

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2015, 08:28:26 PM »
the V112 is worthless , the girl at the post office give it back two years running , so there is no declaration by you or your signiture submited to the DVLA . Also there was no copying done at the PO.

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2015, 11:19:08 PM »
If I remember the correct sequence.  I spoke to the DVLA, and told them about the paperwork that I had with the car. They told me to fill in a V62 & pay £25 and send that along with the existing paperwork back to them. They then sent me back a correct and up to date V5C, which they advised me to take along to the local post office with the V112. The girl in the post office said yes that's absolutely fine and gave me a tax disc for £0.00. I got a reminder to go on-line and renew the tax this year and the insurance company confirmed that because of it's age they did not need an MOT when they agreed to insure it. It all goes back to what an MOT test was originally for, which was to remove a large number of cars from the road that were probably going to fail catastrophically sometime shortly after the test. The MOT certificate is only really valid for anything on the day and at the time of the test. After that it is the responsibility of the owner to ensure their vehicle is in a roadworthy state whenever it is use on the road.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 11:30:35 PM by Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker) »
Malcolm