Author Topic: Internet service providers  (Read 1945 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Internet service providers
« on: December 09, 2014, 11:04:36 PM »
Hi all. This is a totally non microcar question.  Just wondered what experiences you have all had with the various service providers.  I have been with Virgin media for years now and am getting fed up with them hiking up the price. Can anyone recommend a decent provider?  I was thinking of maybe switching to plusnet?

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Internet service providers
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 12:29:10 AM »
I'm on Virgin as well so can't offer any personal feedback, but Zen Internet came top in a recent Which magazine review, and seem to do well on the thinkbroadband website.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html?isp_6=1
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 10:21:31 AM »
Used to be with Zen. Very good, never a prob. When I moved I went with the Post Office on the unlimited access deal, of all things. Only just recently have I had any issues. That is my net contact seems to be less reliable since they re jigged the contract details. The price is in the same order as a Colour TV license. Bye bye Colour TV. Hello world and goodness, less propaganda led waffle in the room and more work done, money saved.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

messyman

• messerschmitt kr200, frisky, isetta 300
  • Quite Chatty
  • messyman motors
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 06:15:44 PM »
don't have bt  I always having problems lol dial up was quicker
messyman restorator of rust relics vw or bubblecars
www.vw-specials.forumotion.com
Messerschmitt kr200 x2 ,frisky family 3 mk1 shell,isetta 300 lhd chassis, vw polo,vw caddy mk1 , t4 , mini , my dad has 2x Messerschmitt kr175

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 10:03:23 PM »
Indeed BT have completely lost the plot, I am afraid.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 10:59:42 PM »
Indeed BT have completely lost the plot, I am afraid.

Perhaps it's area dependent.  I have their slow service (not the Infinity) and it's been consistently good.  Also lets me pick up wifi from other BT users, all over the country.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
Well it seems to be run from India. Since BT own the 'phone lines you would expect they would be offering the best service with some ease. The fact is they have been complacent and fallen behind the wireless revolution and their technology is out of date. That would not matter greatly save it is holding the country back from being competitive with the rest of the world. So Mongols in the Gobi desert have better internet access than we do!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 09:52:58 AM »
Thanks for the comments chaps.
I have taken the plunge and signed with Plusnet for a year. Apparently they are BT owned but are run independently and at least have a uk call centre. Lets see what happens, if its no good I will just go back to Virgin as a new customer and hopefully get a better deal..

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »
Update. Its my first day with plusnet and so far so good. Actually a little faster than my old my virgin connection and its only the dsl, not fibre optic but I shouldn't get too excited. Lets see if it continues..