Author Topic: 13 Ligiers on eBay  (Read 61897 times)

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Re: 13 Ligiers on eBay
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 12:39:17 AM »
its always about the adventure of doing something and getting a job done ! If they go for a decent amount of money i will make a bidd but to do them trips in my truck is going to cost £100 just in diesel and couple of days work , so if you take effort in to account then it's really not worth it in most people's opinions

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 10:48:53 AM »
Does anybody know what sort of engines would easily fit in these cars and mate well with their cone drives?
How are the engines mounted and usually coupled to cone drives?
Is the engine mounted on a flat plate with slots for adjusting belt tension by sliding the engine?
Is the motive force transmitted by belt as in my HMV Freeway, or something else?

I am not interested in another electric, but if reasonably exciting and cheap IC engines could be found and easily adapted, I would be happy to pay for the best two cars, and pay a fairly higher than proportionate share for them as well as their collection.
Used snowmobile and wave runner engines can be quite compact and powerful, and can often be bought quite cheaply on E Bay here.

Thank you very much Steve for taking such an active role.
It is indeed the "dooer" in you that can make all the difference in a situation like this.
Please reserve the top two for me, unless of course you want them for yourself, and if that be the case, make it the top two of the 11 remaining.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 11:56:38 AM »
My flippant answer to what unit mates with the cone drive is an ICE engine, possible 99cc extra shoved in.

In the absence of piccy piccys or paperwork, it is hard to know. My assumption is the electric motor is either driving a belt to the expanding cone, or it has one of a pair of expanding cones on its output shaft. Might be a Salisbury system. The cone drive would match up to the torque of an electric motor, but you loose the braking the motor offers, I think. So keep the cones and in theory a Spriggs and Bratton lawn mower lump would work. Low tech. Roots Honda 350cc generator engine? Oh I have given him an idea now, schtum, schtum. The Peel Ligier J350
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 12:51:57 PM »
They are belt driven from a huge electric motor , same idea as what Al said , it's like my qpod gear box which is a direct drive and when it had an engine in it must of been a clutch like a go kart , i think some one will pay lot for them turn up realise how much of a mission it is to collect and not bother , I will see what happends , there's 4 that I would say look perfect just loads of bird poo on them

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 04:09:13 PM »
 Following a tip off this morning from no less than Tony Marshall himself; I have finally found a lead on the background of these cars! Called the City Wheels project, it turns out Coventry Transport Museum has one deep in their vehicle store, and their collection website has this to say about it;

1987  City Wheels  Electric Car
Location In Museum: Store

This vehicle and its support systems were designed for moving round city centres, large factories and airports. The system was designed as an alternative to private and hire car use. Its benefits would have included low running costs, little noise, virtually no pollution and a solution to parking problems.

To pay for the hire of a vehicle a credit card system was suggested. The user would wipe a credit card through a point on the relay terminal and would be billed automatically. The relay station would accommodate up to 16 cars and would recharge their batteries in 30 minutes. The car has an on-board computer which would control all aspects of the vehicle’s hire, including constant monitoring of the battery.

A number of cities, including Coventry, were interested in adopting this system for inner city use. Unfortunately the parent company, City Wheels Limited, never received the financial support needed and the schemes never came to fruition.

Methinks there's certainly a story to be told here....

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 06:24:02 PM »
up to16 cars ? hmmm just wondering if there were in fact 16 ? 13 for sale ,1 in the museum and 2 more ? .........
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 09:42:30 PM »
Spies report other vehicles in the buildings, unclear as to what. Info comes forward slowly. More info on the Ligier themselves being found.
Interesting find. Wish it were near here. Sounds right up my street. Still to much else to do really.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 10:14:33 PM »
i don't know if I should list the cars I saw but this is the Raleigh car , interesting place

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 09:21:12 AM »
The Cambridge 13 currently stands at £1080 so dreams of them going for a song look unlikely now.  Still just scrap money though.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2014, 09:44:08 AM »
Game over for me ! I'm going to try get over there again Sunday morning before they are moved to get some pictures of how they've been for 30 years

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »
Gosh Bob did you really think they would ever go for less than £80 each ? Wow ever the optimist  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 11:49:23 AM »
Rather what I thought. But then you have to take all. To most folk that is actually a disincentive.
Maybe an open day would have been better. Sealed bids on each car with a bit of a gap so an over enthusiastic bidder does not over buy and need to void on a later deal for a 4th car say. So an opening of bids every fifth minute. Only take an hour to do. I suspect there would have been more buyers than cars. Plenty of hands to help loading too. Job lot of cash like money, no eBay fees and 13 odd happy chappies. I think this way they get less boodle. Look at the Bub Museum auction, indeed if it were me I would be banging the other cars out too.
At what eBay price do we enter the Blackadder 'Oh Bubblecar! I have bid to much. Come Bolders, lets run away' on a brief viewing of the reality of the deal? Its another game on the back of an interesting sideshow I could easily have missed had it not been posted.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 01:43:29 PM »
Gosh Bob did you really think they would ever go for less than £80 each ? Wow ever the optimist  :)

Errr, yes.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2014, 01:48:06 PM »
Count me as still in for paying 1/4 of the total purchase price for two of the top 4 "perfect cars", as well as reasonable pick up and delivery fees.
Can we make this a team effort? ;)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 04:35:12 PM »
Err No.