Poll

What system of imperial fraction measurement do you prefer

Reading the sentence as 6ft 5" long, 4ft 2.5" wide and 4ft 8.5" tall
4 (66.7%)
Reading the sentence as 6ft 5" long, 4ft 2 1/2" wide and 4ft 81/5" tall
0 (0%)
Sod Feet & Inches, what's wrong with Chains & Roods?
0 (0%)
Oh god, has it came to this! Where's the alcohol?!
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: We need a bit of Christmas lunacy!  (Read 3138 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
We need a bit of Christmas lunacy!
« on: December 17, 2014, 05:18:18 PM »
 In response to how imperial fractions should be written in the 13 Ligier thread, and because its high time we had a bit of pottyness back on this forum; here's a poll to see us into Yuletide. Cast your opinions (the spellchecker just offered me "onions" for this!) now folks....    ;D

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: We need a bit of Christmas lunacy!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 05:46:27 PM »
I have never seen a poll before on the forum . On a point of order m'lud your have asked now about 1/5ths but they were never in the original so that's not fair !! ( change of subject entirely but .... When I checked into my Glasgow travelodge on Monday evening a group of SIX Poles were "disappointed " to find their boss had booked them only TWO rooms ! That is two great big burly builders sharing a bed - and one watching . I wonder how they undercut us ? )
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:02:15 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 06:15:24 PM »
That is two great big burly builders sharing a bed - and one watching

Anything I might go into on that might get me thrown off the forum! Except to say;....

;D

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 06:55:35 PM »
In day-to-day, DIY etc, work I'll nearly always use mm (not cm, as they went west a long time ago!), because it's all so much easier.  If, for example, I measured a length at 4 ft 7 1/16 in, and wanted to have 5 equidistant fixings along it, I'd get there, but slowly and doubtfully.

If I measured it at 1398.6 though (no unit mentioned, 'cos it's mm), I'd quickly be able to mark positions every 233.1 and get on with it!

If I measure three lengths and want to add them, then 23 3/16, plus 17 3/4, plus 15 3/10 is unnecessarily difficult.  And my old steel rules tend to have 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 markings at one end, and 1/10 inch at the other ...

I recently had to work in inches, to make a fleecy wrap for my great niece for Christmas ... because my cutting board and roller-cutter guide are American. It was horrible, until I redesigned it to have all parts in whole inches, all hems at 1/2 inch - and screw the finer aesthetics!

Only where the item has been designed in specific inches is there any advantage - or joy - in using them.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 07:06:51 PM »
Ah dont we all I expect just use mm's but I still won't be doing .5 of an inch call me old fashioned  :) anyway the whole thing was entirely light hearted but my aren't we bored . My excuse stuck in another boring hotel on my own for the third time this week ho ho ho!!  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 07:27:12 PM »
...just use mm's but I still won't be doing .5 of an inch call me old fashioned...

so how many M&Ms in 1/2" then?

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »
In day-to-day, DIY etc, work I'll nearly always use mm (not cm, as they went west a long time ago!), because it's all so much easier.
When I first started work in a recently-metricated shipyard, cm were referred to disparagingly as 'dressmaking units'.  Sadly in measuring properties in my current job, I find cm very useful, though naturally I don't advertise that in public.

(no unit mentioned, 'cos it's mm),...
Seconded - real men automatically assume mm are used to measure the diameter of a quiche.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 11:44:39 AM »
Depends what your measuring. By eye and skill, imperial every-time as you carry the measurement fastened to your body. Old cottages, fruit cakes, good books and the like are imperial. If you need to calculate and adapt a design then metric is easier. If proof is needed the home of the metric system, France, still use imperial measures and thinking everyday. You buy a stair of wood, not a sq m. Their metric cars have imperial fittings and gadgets to give them style. That is why they are French. Wheels on the other hand are all imperial, except in France. Well they would not be French otherwise, would they? Of course we banned imperial measures for engineering and lost our car industry as a result. Burks.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »
Well I have heard many reasons for the demise of the British car industry , but never that one  :) by the way rant alert

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 01:41:07 PM »
I would say the demise of the British car industry can be laid squarely at the feet of a devilish duo, Big Al and Jeremy Clarkson. ;D   Plus a few thousand Brummy workers that took no pride.

Its often forgotten that the uk still has a reasonable sized car industry, its just not British owned.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 03:02:54 PM »
measurement - like a classic owner friend who's A40 Farina failed it's MOT , "why" , was the owners question , "look I'll show yer' " the tester said , then took the mike and placed it over the brake pipe across the bulkhead and took measurement , then measured a pipe lower down next the master cylinder - "you see , you've polished the copper pipe so thin its as dangerous as a corroded steel pipe !"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 05:06:02 PM »
I would say the demise of the British car industry can be laid squarely at the feet of a devilish duo, Big Al and Jeremy Clarkson. ;D   Plus a few thousand Brummy workers that took no pride.

Its often forgotten that the uk still has a reasonable sized car industry, its just not British owned.

Is that 1/2 as good, or only .5 as good? This was a partly political comment of a fractious nature, and decimally, pointless.

Is Santa metric now? I live in an old imperial house. Oh, b@*@*r.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs