Author Topic: Tippen Delta on American Pickers  (Read 17142 times)

milnes

• Quite Chatty
Tippen Delta on American Pickers
« on: December 24, 2014, 10:34:50 PM »
Just caught a small portion of American Pickers on The History Channel in Norway tonight, not sure if it's an old episode but they were picking in England. They were at a Phone Box Dealer and he pointed them to his next door neighbour who had various Scooters. He was an old guy, seemed quite a character, sounds like a South West accent.  Well when they opened his garage door first thing you saw was a Tippen Delta, the old guy said it was a very rare version, only 5 left.
Has anyone seen the episode i'm talking about?
I need to stop buying!

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: Tippen Delta on American Pickers
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 11:07:59 PM »
here is a screen shot of the Tippen Delta from that episode with registration in case that helps.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 08:24:23 AM »
From my archives - same car.  Don't know when or where or who.

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 02:21:50 PM »
The guy behind the car looks like the chap from the TV programme.
I need to stop buying!

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 04:24:04 PM »
 Yep, that one & its owner is very well known to me, though as for saying only five left, try saying eighteen to be nearer the mark.....

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 05:12:08 PM »
I have a copy of this episode of American Pickers. I edited out only the part with “Barry” and his scooters and the Tippen Delta and reduced the size to make it a 60MB mp4 file you can download and watch if you want. The final version is about 7 minutes.
The mp4 is wrapped in a ZIP file to force you to download it to your computer, then you open the ZIP file to find the video file to play it.
http://rumcars.org/tippen.zip

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 08:21:38 PM »
Thanks for that Jim.   They robbed that old invalid guy of his Phillips Gedabout! It was the early one with the Rex engine.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 08:55:12 PM by Bob Purton »

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 10:54:26 PM »
Is that 18 you know of Stuart?
Is the owner still on the go, seemed quite a character?

Once again cheers for getting the video on here Jim.
I need to stop buying!

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 12:32:10 AM »
Is that 18 you know of Stuart?
Is the owner still on the go, seemed quite a character?

Indeed it is, I have the details of 18 Tippen Delta's on the ICR Mainfile which are firmly known to be currently-existing, and BRW 413G is ICR reference number 189-311206, meaning it was the 189th known existing invalid carriage in total that I added to the list, and that it first came to my attention on 31st December 2006. I also have outline details of three other existing Delta's which I am still digging for firm details of, in order that they can be added to the Mainfile as a new entry, or ticked off as an already-known-of example, as the cases may or may not be sometimes.

Barrie of Norfolk bought it October 2006 after knowing of it for a decade before that and still owns it. Vehicle operated in Devon & south-west region in early 1990s and was withdrawn from Ministry useage towards end of 1995.

ICR Mainfile currently (25/12/14) stands at 375 known currently existing carriages of all makes & models from the two-way tie for the oldest known powered British carriage, (a petrol Argson 2DMC and a monumentally early Argson Electric, both of which have long lost all numbers & paperwork but both dates between 1924 & 1926), to the youngest known Model 70, an AC, built up from spare parts in Northern Ireland in October 1980, some two & a half years after production ended.  I have photos in my possession of 354 out of the known 375....

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 09:05:53 AM »
Yep, kids. Its a Register of IC. Better records than outfits many years older. From that hard info, certain well backed thoughts can be drawn. Helpful in itself, especially dealing with officials, as they get sufficient evidence to say yes. Its a good piece of work, and as long as there is some interest, will stand long, as hopefully the core of knowledge, even after the originator has popped off. (I got a sniper rifle for Christmas)

These disparate knowledge sources really need a safe haven lest they be lost. I am thus dismayed that the Micro world still seems to have a problem over IC. Fortunately should something nasty happen I know Dave H would take the IC records into the Trojan Trust to protect it until or unless a better solution is found. This bit of work is pretty safe as being a Trust that is active beyond Dave.

Moral, Support your local nutter!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 12:44:19 PM »
Well I think the IC register has just proved its value with the amount of information Stuart was able to provide.
Any register be it the IC or Rum register is invaluable with such rare cars as we are talking about!
I need to stop buying!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 01:12:45 PM »
I do find that the confidentiality thing works both ways though . Alistair Lauchland on behalf of RUM knows the address and name of the Gordon owner in Newcastle but cannot pass it on to me - darned frustrating as I am desperate to contact him personally and see if the cars safe . I am regularly in the area and I just don't know the address AAARGH !
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 01:28:44 PM »
yes but is that because the owner doesnt want to converse with you?  I thought the idea was that the register keeper contact the owner on your behalf and only if they wish, details be passed on.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 01:57:09 PM »
Oh yes Bob I understand the safeguard and its operated scrupulously , he subscribes to RUM  and has been written to but does not respond - fair enough - but still very frustrating  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »
Oh you mean Mr Arnargle, mmmnnm.

RUMs arm is long.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs