Author Topic: Slightly intrigued  (Read 15136 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Slightly intrigued
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 05:46:02 PM »

but who is playing Walker !  ;D
)

Andy Carter? ;)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2014, 05:48:34 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2014, 05:58:50 PM »
The writing of an item is to impart information. That process does not necessarily mean you receive information by return. As to getting thanked, I had to laugh. Who is going to do that? The fact no one complained means it was a pretty good effort!

Anyway the call is out to the members to help Mr Cheesman (spelling). There was me thinking of the Reverend, silly boy!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2014, 06:06:32 PM »
dont forget Hodges , i expect it ought to be me in reality  :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:09:39 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2014, 08:49:26 PM »
ho ho ho !! Jean a great typo you made there !!! in your last line you said " I for once " rather than " I for one " theres a great deal of difference .

My apologies to Chris.  These days I have to rely heavily on spell check as my fingers type the most ridiculous things and of course spell check didn't pick that up.  Thank you Headmaster!
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 09:34:49 PM »
I think writing about specific models of cars is rather difficult- only so much you can go over before having to repeat yourself over and over ad nauseum. I must say that when it comes to reference, it's the books that have been published I find invaluable.

Producing a magazine for clubs is a tall order anyway. Generally the editor is tasked not just with padding out articles, but providing articles in their entirety. After a time many burn out, and ditch the job to preserve their sanity.

the internet is another factor, however in the UK at least it doesn't seem to be very popular with micro car owners. Not sure if that's down to lack of understanding or just general indifference.

In my view it has always been a much better way of conveying information than printed publication, but you need to take some measures to ensure that content is accurate.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 11:21:34 PM »
Hmmm ? Internet and fact ? Bonds that had to be kickstarted and Heinkels where the steering wheel was on the door firstly and obviously spring to mind , but then it must have been incorrectly written in the first place  :)

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2014, 07:27:11 AM »
Whether it be electrons or on papyrus, information can be bona fide or bogus.

How many times have you read an article on micro cars in the popular press or even dedicated classic car journels and spotted some absolute howlers?

So, the internet, the worlds largest rag, with few editors.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2014, 09:37:42 AM »
What most clubs fail to recognise is the wealth of information contained in there old publications. So do members. Many a question would be answered if folk kept there mags on a shelf, possibly indexed. They are better than a book on the topic, as they contain the alternative ways of doing things.

One of the best publications is Russell Church's Karotips book for Messerschmitt owners. That was edited out of the Kabinews pre dating its publication, plus some modifications to bring them up to date. As a companion to the Grosse Karotip issued by FMR you can sort most problems. Few other clubs have done this obvious and simple task. The Berkeley club used to offer a myriad technical sheets, but not really a publication of the lot. A sort of halfway house.

Oddly it is considered OK to recycle and print old media articles in club magazines, but rarely do these same tittles publish the cream of members items submitted over the years. They need not even be technical. 'Toad goes to Scotland' was a tour de-force in Cruisernews. The Hitch Hikers guide to the Messerschmitt and Bernard's 175 page both stand well from Take Off.

Not far from here is a chubby buddy who has ceased to put out his words in the disposable form of items for newsletters, preferring to unite output in the form of books, for money. I cannot say I blame him, and ultimately I think I am likely to do the same. I have written a book already, its scattered in many club mags for free. Certainly I can think of few cases of being thanked for my efforts to supply club publications with items, even when practically creating the whole thing, or having a clumsy editor destroy well crafted prose.

This pathetic excuse of nothing to write about, not the skill, is a cop out in many cases. I have not noticed it stop spirited discussions on the forums. And the forums themselves are a rich source of fillers. Though the uncomfortable truth is that magazines tend to be about 3 months behind the internet for topical information, which does rather hamstring them over 20 years ago when it was your main source of news and information.
Item, stop press, 13 Ligier for sale. It kind of looses impact when half of them might be resold again by the time you get to here about it. I remember a classic 'Messerschmitt found in Port Talbot' item in one of the monthlys. I arrived at clubnight to a scrum of folk looking at the mag like it was Penthouse.
'So and so is going to look at that car'.
'Don't bother' said I 'Seen it, bought it, sold it.' In fact it passed through 4 hands before publication was made and ended up being restored by Nick Haddon who bought it from me and found it still had a valid saleable V5 to be claimed after the rush.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
Hi all

The various views and opinions on the subject of Rumcar News content has been very interesting.

When I first started writing technical articles for the construction industry (Roofing), I like Richard was disappointed that nobody wrote in to add to my article. I was promptly told by the editor that hearing nothing is good, in fact it is perfect. Letters to the editor are normally written to complain, and no editor wants letters of complaint. If people likes what they read they will remain silent on the basis if it is not broken do not try and change it.

Over the years I have been pleased with the occasional  comment that many readers of my construction articles have collected them. Similarly with Rumcar nobody has ever written in and challenged any of the content. Silence is golden. However as Jean says I am not one of the old guard but a relative newby (I just look like one of the old guard) and do not have the depth of knowledge that you guys have to fall back on.

Some of the articles I have published in Rumcar News were almost unreadable when they came to me, and I had to do some major editing to make them readable (no names provided, my lips are sealed). However I did bite off a bit too much when I offered to edit the translation of the Biscuter book. Google translation from Spanish to English is literal and like throwing the words up in the air and seeing how they land. Also as we know some words have several meanings and Google does not always pick the right meaning, which can send you off at a complete tangent.

Everybody has a book in them. Just think of a magazine article as part of one chapter of that book. Often authors write the middle of the book and then finish by writing the start and the finish. The important thing is to jump in with both feet and have a go, you will soon find your voice and style. The important thing is to write just like you speak, but without all the expletives and errs and umms.

To write 500 or 1000 words is very satisfying and the self satisfaction can be very rewarding, just don't expect everybody to tell you so.

Happy new year to you all and I look forward to hearing from you

Chris Thomas

Rumcar News

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2014, 12:31:44 PM »
A while back I went through over 20 years of Isetta Gazette's, winkling out all the technical articles, and scanned them into a personal PDF. Much easier to reference.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.