Author Topic: Slightly intrigued  (Read 14280 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Slightly intrigued
« on: December 27, 2014, 09:28:26 AM »
Hmmm. Battery cars. Microcar? More Microcar than Battery IC? Apparently so, as it has space in the magazine. The double yellow line of topic has to be checked with the signs on the street furniture, always allowing for that miss-used disabled sticker of convenience, introduced post IC, of course. A debatable topic for the New Year?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Slightly intrigued
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 10:20:07 AM »
okay Bob thats over to you , you had difficulty understanding me a few days ago so where do you go with this ???????????? perhaps i might suggest retitling to very intrigued for a start ?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:25:38 AM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 04:43:03 PM »
Ai is hard to follow at the best of times. I was worried you may have caught the same virus.
I think he is having a little pop at the fact that there is a new section in RCN on Battery cars and for some strange reason thinks the IC page was ticked into touch. Of coarse he wasnt around when certain changes happen and rattles were thrown from prams etc.

Lets make this quite clear. It was never suggested by anyone including me that the IC register page be dropped from RCN. The complaint was that there was starting to build up a disproportionate amount of IC stuff in the mag which was non representative.  Nobody envisioned there being no ICR page. The keeper of said register around that time had decided he was going to do his own magazine which he did for a while and we were surprised that the ICR page disappeared from RCN. To be honest I miss it like a hole in the head but I'm sure it would be welcomed back by Chris at any time.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 06:41:04 PM »
Ah ! You may be right but why oh why does Al expect us to know what he's thinking ? Said it before but out of the scores of forum watchers at any one time very few indeed would have had any idea about that one ! Well I have the usual quandary , whether to renew membership of RUM at all . Electric or modern Japanese / Chinese / continental cars hold no interest for me whatsoever - and there is more of it in every issue , I must say that a section on Invalid Cars would definitely make my quandary easier to solve  ;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 06:51:16 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 09:42:20 AM »
'Tiz a bit of fun. As to forum watchers, well some are pretty smart and the rest kind of get what they are given if they choose not to participate. Clearly the principle reason, which Bob has for an answer to my observation, too. If nothing is submitted, it cannot be edited out. Only Conveyancer has ceased to appear, so the state of play has returned to pre interest in IC, with nary a mention in published media. I accept that this has little to do with the current contributors to RUMcar news. Nor does it bother me hugely, just being a naughty boy. The roaring silence suggests that is not a topic attracting interest, or have the IC fanciers gone elsewhere.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 11:56:26 AM »
Dear All

I have offered Stuart a page in Rumcar News to discuss IC news and history, but as yet no reply.

Regarding the content of Rumcar News. It is as you say a function of what I am sent by the readers. I would love to include 50% or more, historic and technical British Microcar articles, but alas I do not have the articles coming in. I do try and research something new for each issue, time permitting, but others work is always preferential to my own. Also after 30 years at 4 issues a year there is the risk of repeating yourself. Every time I have had a brilliant idea for an article, Mike or Tony appear to have already written  about  it, when they were editors.

The other 50% of the magazine needs to reflect the international nature of the readership, and the wider microcar fraternity. Something for everybody to read.

In essence it is over to you guys to write about what interests you. If it interests you it is bound to interest us all.

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 12:32:51 PM »
That could be a dangerous assumption, Chris ;D, but I know what you mean.

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »
I know some of the old guard on here are digging their heels in regarding RUM and RUM car news changing as the modern era dawns and not all change is good i agree but some change is necessary!
Yes i guess RUM was started all these years ago to furnish and whet the appetite of all the collectors of Peels, Trojans, Gordons etc. I know a few of the Old guard don't dare to mention an AC 70 in the same breath as a Peel, 'how dare anyone who would, right?
Times move on many people hate the French Fridges manufactured in the 70's and 80's, are they Micro cars, are they unusual? To some yes to others no.

Invalid Carriages do they belong on the forum or RUM news? To some of the old guard 100% no, some have even made the point on here that if this was to happen it could sway their decision weather to renew their 2015 subscription, all because of 1 page out of 20 dedicated to IC's, Sheesh!
I've made my point known about the AC 70's, i think they are great little cars, are they a micro car and unusual in my eyes YES!
Am i intersted in Bath chairs etc? NO! However as an engineer i know many of them were over engineers and some of the skills involved in the construction of some to help a certain disability move is brilliant and i for one would be more than happy to read about it, however i much prefer to read about an AC 70!
Would i stop subscribing to a magazine because i didn't like some of the articles, of course not!

I for one say it's time to move with the times, new Micro's are coming from China/Japan, so why not tell us about them. The French manufactured some crazy little cars, tell me more!
Invalid Carriages and their over engineering yes I want to know more.
Electric cars, some interesting new designs are on the go, why not keep us up to date
As long as the main portion of the magazine is about the Old Micros then it should keep us all happy!
If a particular article in an issue offends you or has no interest what so ever then turn the page, it's that easy!

Now as Chris has mentioned, he feels new subject matter has to be included to keep the magazine fresh but also he is running out of things to write about on the old cars, as it's been said before.
Now not so long ago on this forum there was a discussion ongoing on a particular subject, which i had no input into but found very interesting. The discussion mostly involved the old guard. Chris politely said that this would make a good article for the next RUM NEWS, to which one of the old guard said along the lines of 'Yes so go ahead and do the article Chris'.
I guess non of us should complain or critisise or complain what's in the magazine if we had the opportunity to write one article and refused it!

Sorry if i offend anyone on here calling you Old Guard, it's meant with the greatest respect, from a Young (ish) one  8)
I need to stop buying!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 08:33:36 PM »
How dare you!! I'm deeply offended! I'm only 59! ;D
I agree mostly Milnes, so whats the problem? We have a wide variety of subjects and articles. The IC page disappeared of its own accord. Its been requested again with no response.
Have you written anything yet for RCN. Here is your chance to write about AC70's.
When I had the time I wrote loads of stuff, mainly after finishing restoration projects. I'm now heavily into projects again and what with running a small business have no time to write articles on demand from Chris right now. Later, when the projects are done, maybe I will contribute some more. Anyway, how many complain? One or two at the most compared with the majority who are chuffed with the mag, self included.
When Richard says a new IC page would help him make up his mind as to whether to re-subscribe, how do you know he meant it would make him decide against. To my knowledge, he is quite interested. He always tells me off when I moan about them.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 08:36:47 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 09:36:26 PM »
I think a section on modern Chinese electric IC's would go down well.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 09:51:43 PM »
Stop it Barry, I'm laughing uncontrollably! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 10:28:16 PM »
Hi Richard sorry if i offended you, 59 is the new 49, oh wait i'm still younger than you  8).

I'm one of the guys that sit on the sidelines and don't get involved in much, heck i only attended my first National Micro car rally this year. I've never written an article for Rum and i'm not sure if i will. I fear that i'm not articulate enough, i struggle to speak English never mind Speile it!
My skills at car refurbishment is less than a novice, so i fear an article written by me would be thumbed through quicker than a centre page spread of an AC 70 with a naked Jeremy Clarkson draped on it.
If you want an article on the function of Intelligent well completions for the Oil & Gas Industry i'm your man, car restoration, give me the old guard any day!
If i offended Richard and he truly is an AC 70 believer, and under 45 years of age then i truly am sorry.
I need to stop buying!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 07:12:02 AM »
Ok Milnes it was Bob that's 59 ! Not me ! I am MUCH younger ! I just look very old  ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 09:43:28 AM »
True, he does look very old and also lies about his age! :D

"The old guard"  I like it, sounds like something from the Napoleonic wars!