Author Topic: Slightly intrigued  (Read 14292 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Slightly intrigued
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 11:53:20 AM »
One of the skills of an editor is to be able to expand, or adapt, what can be little more than some notes on the back of a fag packet. Tony M was particularly good at that, I can think of others, Dave H, for instance. This encouraged those who felt they had not the skills to create a pretty much oven ready item, to still contribute. Very often these items were the handy corner, or end of page, fillers. In many cases they were the items that focused new interest on a topic leading to more information surfacing. Much as Richard does on here by presenting a picture, sometimes with little backing info. Some of those threads spark interest and even at such a tangent you wonder how we got there. Nuggets of fact, creating interest and feed back. That is as much the lifeblood of a magazine as the in depth look at Venice's Microcars, for instance.

Now I have dropped out of many clubs, so I cannot judge. But one reason I opted out was that this free flow of information, comment and matters arising was not happening in club magazines, and in some clubs was not wanted. That goes totally against what I think makes a great magazine. Most mags carry a wonderful proviso along the lines that 'This publication does not necessarily reflect the views of the Club or Editor'.  I wish more folk would use that leeway to stretch the limits. Its no idle statement. If I wanted propaganda, I would join a political party.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 12:48:03 PM »
More like the home guard with Steven as Captain Mainwaring, big al as portender of doom Frazer ( we're all doomed ! ) , myself as young what's him name ( don't tell him Pike ) , Bob OBVIOUSLY  ;D as Jonesey and perhaps ...... ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:52:08 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2014, 01:09:52 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
I want to be Godfrey!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2014, 01:13:12 PM »
Why ? Are you wanting to be " excused " or cos your sister Dolley does a lovely pineapple upside down cake ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »
No "Stupid boy!" because he is just so lovable!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 04:29:43 PM »
'Make a good Bubblecar, do the Greeves. They make good scooters, too. They make a very fine small motorbikes, as well, do the Greeves.'
Thank you Mr Blewitt, otherwise known as Stuart I.C. Cyphus, Radar trained actor - well its an easy mistake to make.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 05:01:30 PM »
 ;D   ;D    ;D    ;D    ;D    ;D    ;D

Now who's playing Captain Square & Mrs Fox?   ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 05:20:32 PM »
and we forgot about Sgt Wilson.

I think Chris Thomas will be Captain Square and I guess as Mrs Fox is Joneseys bird my Mrs will have to be her else I'll be in trouble!

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 05:23:06 PM »
What a lot of chat! However, will anyone of you send even the bare bones of an article.  It's no good hiding under the "I can't write, spell, punctuate........."  malarkey.  Chris has always said give him the bare bones and he can pad it out, then send it back to you so you can see if that' s what you wanted to say before it goes to publication! Give it a try, give Chris a hand Remember he is not "old school" but a fairly new boy who trying very hard to give you what you want, and I for one think he is doing very well.  Jean
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:27:06 PM by Jean »
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 05:25:21 PM »
 And here's Mr Gordon, the Town Clerk!   ;D  Who's going to be brave enough to ask Mrs Bob if she's prepared to give him Mondays and Thursdays, and this Tuesdays and Saturdays?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:32:12 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 05:31:40 PM »
Loads of chat yes but that's not writing an article is it ? I have time - but nothing to make an article of . Since I was pressganged into writing my Gordon page , by yourself Jean , I have NOT ONCE been contacted by ANYONE either Gordon owner or not, to say they enjoyed the articles or even read them ! In fact no other Gordon owner has spoken to me about Gordon's even ! hmmm  :(

spare a thought in the snow for this poor Gordon , quite possibly in its last Winter , Al says they were offerred £5000 ! I offerred £1500 ! but its still there rotting away  :(
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:18:59 AM by richard »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 05:32:43 PM »
Sorry, I forgot, I'm Godfrey arnt I.   In that case Mrs Fox will have to be Jean as she is the only female forum user right now.  Sorry Jean but you just got the part!

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 05:38:36 PM »
 I vote Jamie as Cpl Jones! In the great British tradition of the youngest actors playing the oldest part. (Just be thankful we're not recasting Hinge & Bracket Jamie!  ;) )

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2014, 05:39:40 PM »
AS you can see we would rather play silly games on the forum.

RE your Gordon page Richard, this is what will happen when you are covering a marque that is very very rare. No one will contribute because nobody owns one. It would be like me writing a Tourette page. Interesting to start with but would inevitably fissle out after a while.
The marque needs to have at least a hand full of owners, shame we dont have a Scootacar page. Wonder if Steven Boyd could be persuaded ?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2014, 05:42:13 PM »
but who is playing Walker !  ;D

Yes Bob , thats why I never wanted to start but seing as the other 4 owners are RUM readers you might expect some response mightn't you  ;)