Author Topic: '58 Coronet  (Read 16117 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: '58 Coronet
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 06:10:09 PM »
well i have very little information other than that George said he bought it " in boxes "  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

ditherydod

• Just Starting
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 07:44:36 PM »
hi george here,i agree with comments about engine.would love to find either engine or dynastart .can anyone help?????????

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 08:24:41 PM »
ah just exchanged emails with George  :) this will be the dynastart he's looking for but isn't this a standard Siba/Villiers reversing ? or is it different ? lets get him this engine sorted eh ?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:04:12 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 10:04:47 PM »
yes, Siba Dynastart but unique to the Excelsior engine.  The internal taper on the rotor is where the main difference is between this and a Villiers.  Have suggested a few potential sources to George.
Blower cooled Excelsior engines are now very rare. 

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 10:08:30 PM »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ch11/5121805220/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ch11/5121755278/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ch11/5121754460/in/photostream/

these links were posted by Rusty Chrome last time we touched on Coronets i wonder if , as George has a rusted solid orginal , could the taper be cannibalised/replicated and adapted on another ?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:15:07 PM by richard »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 10:18:50 AM »
Ahh, Am I right in thinking that this dynastart fits together back to front?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 10:32:06 AM »
Pretty sure that this is a unit only for Excelsior and friends. The flywheel might have the windings demountable. So you might put a Villiers type on, reusing your centre. But some are crimped on, rather than screwed together. Stator, it is what is. The good thing about this installation is you can service the dynostart without parting it from the crank. Pity the crank is apparently not as reliable as something like a Sachs or Villiers to make the most of it.

Blower engine should be achievable as if folk have got them in their Berkeley they should have the casing they took off. The machines that use them should be rarer than the number of engines left. Normal practice, as is sitting on several spare units when never using the car in question. The rarity of some parts is a product of the mumbers sat on shelves not for sale. Indeed some parts are not really rare at all!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Scootacar_mk1

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 01:08:16 PM »
Is there an easy way to tell the difference between these? Recently aquired some second hand dynastarts and wonder if I could help out !
Cream Mk1 Scootacar

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
nut in centre or 4 'pop' marks to hold it together , will post a picky latters ....

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 08:28:52 PM »
some photos of the Sibaa centre fastening ...

1 .the fastening nut in the centre , a special 'C' type box spanner is needed to renove/tighten.
2 .alternative fix is the boss is peened over by four 'pip's' .
3 .the outer rotos is fixed to the back plate by screws .
4 .also of note to Bonders if you get a spare from the ex goverment cripple car look for the green ones (higher output ) keep stator and rotor together .

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 08:33:34 PM »
and finaly for them thats never seen a 'new' one , heres your chance - rearer than steam of rocking horse s**t  ;D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »
I would add that experience in swapping flywheel windings to other centres suggests it is worth noting the following.

The units are balanced so they rotate without significant deviation nor strain to the crank and bearings. Thus the orientation, normally offered by several pegs/dowels, should be adhered to. Be aware that it is wise to replace any iffy looking/feeling set screws holding the unit together, is it nine? I think they are BA type. Do not tighten too hard and ensure an even spread of the load, so should the centre fastening not be 'home' the screws will not shear. If one shears it can then withdraw from its hole and make quite a mess. If the lot goes, as has happened even on untampered with flywheels, it gets very interesting very quickly!

This said care should mean you can possibly salvage usable dynpostarts from what might appear a load of old rubbish. Never throw then away. If your not minded to try and repair them, trade them to a twit like me for some bits you can use, and we retain a pool of units to recycle. The stators will repair too, not easy but if you have the tooling and knowledge it is a nice winter job in the warm. I have a few sets of parts to reassemble but most of mine have now been done. I still have a new/reconditioned Excelsior Dynostarter with casing and points bits and a spare used flywheel. These are ex Dolphin Engines/Chapman stock.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 08:21:33 PM »
The first flywheel I fitted to my Bond came apart after a few hundred miles, (fortunately the car came with several) It hadn't crossed my mind till that point that the exterior of the flywheel/armature/rotor was constructed of more than one piece. This first one was the type 2 shown on Plas Mans list and when I looked at the others and saw that they were all the type 1 with a fastening nut, I assumed that must have been missed off somehow which had caused the problem. When I fitted the first one, In the absence of the Siba rotor locking tool mentioned in service notes I used a strap wrench to hold the rotor still while I tightened the centre nut, I suspect that even with all the set screws holding it in place, this is enough to disrupt the balance of the assembly if you use it on the body of the rotor rather than on the front where the lip is.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"